Stow-a-way Soul (e17) - 16 March 2006

...it's the last one FOR ME !!!

The night continues on, but I'm leaving London and therefore hanging up the headphones & headshells, packing the records up and moving ..again (and not because immigration have caught up either! :D ).

No need to post up your excuses if you'll be away at the Prestatyn Weekender early start, but if you can make it, it would be lovely to see you there :yes: .

BTW, there's no guest DJ this month only, as we really just wanted to get right back to where we started from and enjoy harrassing each other around the decks in peace :yes: .

AND - I would love to tell you who will be replacing me from April, but I'm not allowed to say :secret:

(...and no, it's not : :ohmy: ).

*** now back to your usual programme : ****

Stow-A-Way Soul

THURSDAY 16 MARCH 2006 +++PRESTATYN WARM-UP+++

Resident DJ's Alice / Audra / Maria

all play together, one last time.

8pm til 11.30pm? - No cover charge (still FREE)

venue: The Soul. 300 Hoe St Walthamstow, London E17

(2 min walk from Walthamstow Central, Victoria line Zone 3)

For PLAYLISTS, PHOTOs and DIRECTIONS visit our website -

https://www.stowawaysoul.co.uk

or contact the promoter Audra on audra_cruickshank@hotmail.com

STOW-A-WAY SOUL's music policy is a spectrum of 60's & 70's soul and RnB

(Northern Soul, 60s RnB, Crossover, midtempo magic, beat ballads, stormers)

cheers,

m

---------------------------------------------------------

Stow-A-Way Soul ~ since Nov 2004

Upcoming: 20 April guest DJ DUDLEY STEVE spinning RnB + a new resident DJ

Edited by Maria
  • Replies 19
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Sad to hear you're on your way Maria but I'm sure you'll be back as a guest now and then. Was thinking of going up to Prestatyn on Thursday night but will leave it to Friday morning so I can be at Stow to say farewell. :lol:

ah, that's really sweet Martin - especially as I don't play any of your beloved RnB :yes: .

Been looking forward to Prestatyn as well, been bursting since I'd known that I'd be seeing the Masqueraders sing live again ..that's worth the weekend pass money alone (and more)!

...Catch ya tonight at Geoff's do; will be bringing a flu-sick lad with me and promised him lots of wine & the like (purely medicinal off course :thumbsup: )

m

It's Madge's last one and we hope to see some of you there to cheer..... I mean wave her good bye :D It's funny to think that we've survived 16 Stow A Ways together. We've watched wrestling matches for the microphone (Maria won), tantrums at the decks, and certain residents doing funny actions to others plays :D:D .

We're still waiting for the replacement to confirm, but being just as gobby as the last one it shouldn't be long until they do.There, that should wake em up!

Guest AudraT

It's Madge's last one and we hope to see some of you there to cheer..... I mean wave her good bye yes.gif It's funny to think that we've survived 16 Stow A Ways together. We've watched wrestling matches for the microphone (Maria won), tantrums at the decks, and certain residents doing funny actions to others plays :wicked:wink.gif .

We're still waiting for the replacement to confirm, but being just as gobby as the last one it shouldn't be long until they do.There, that should wake em up!

Looking forward to saying a fond farewell to Maria at her very last Stow-A-Way Soul :yes: Who will organise us now and keep us to our allocated times on the decks and playlists etc?

I will be there on Thursday, all being well. Sorry Maria is leaving, hope your replacement has got those 70s gems in their collection, e.g. She's Gone, These Memories, etc.

And like Martin, I hope you will be back for guest appearances.

Intrigued by who your replacement may be.

I like the way you all played different styles of our music, something for everyone.

Bump :lol:

I'll be at Prestatyn but hope everything goes well, will you be having a glass of red Maria to toast your last night? :lol:

See you in Wales :dance:

Dave G

Guest AudraT

Bump :thumbsup:

I'll be at Prestatyn but hope everything goes well, will you be having a glass of red Maria to toast your last night? :thumbsup:

See you in Wales :dance:

Dave G

Thanks Dave! We'll give old Madge a right good old send off. Enjoy Prestatyn.

Geoff, if you can guess who her replacement is,there's a drink in it for you. The clue is in Alice's post above.

Audra

Thanks Dave! We'll give old Madge a right good old send off.

hey! enough of the "old" :thumbsup:

...I'm sure the north will be kinder to me :thumbsup:

Feeling poorly after a wonderful soulful 24hrs in Berlin last weekend (lots of snow), so I think I might just have to have a glass of red tomorrow night to ease myself into the weekend :lol: .

...I guess this will all hit me when I pack up next month. For now, it's a case of blatant promotion for somebody to come along and listen to our records - PLAYED LOUD -

m

ps. I understand the new resident dj will be in attendance tomorrow night :lol:

Yahooo, :D:lol::lol: will be able to make it tonight. Wasn't sure if I had the time to attend but pleased I'll be able to make Maria's last night. Maybe a bit late to include this but who else is going?

Now I know who her replacement will be and I'm glad to say there will be no compromises on the 'good looking' element of the djs present on the night. shades.gif Will be sorry to see you go Madge. I've known you for ages but only really got to know you over the last year and you easily fit into my category of 'one of the nicest people I know on the Northern scene'. In fact that goes into number one on the list of ten things I love about Madge. I'll let the rest of you complete the list.

Ten things I love about Madge

1. She one of the nicest people on the scene

2. If you're ever in a need of a 'long' conversation - she's your girl unsure.gif

3. She owns a copy of the Precious Three on Ref-o-ree

1. She one of the nicest people on the scene

2. If you're ever in a need of a 'long' conversation - she's your girl :rolleyes:

3. She owns a copy of the Precious Three on Ref-o-ree

4. She likes a good chilli

5 She's not backward in coming forward :huh:

I have to go along with all that Warren said, I am sure I speak for many people when I say Maria will be missed in London. Our loss is Yorkshire's gain.

My first meeting with her was at These Old Shoes, September or October 2004, just before it closed. She was a good friend to Les and me from the start.

And she is a fine DJ as well. Very good taste imo. I looked through her record box last night and found so many I would have liked to hear, thanks for playing Bob Brady, the Sparkels, and of course Almeta Latimore.

I enjoyed last night very much, sorry to hear Audra wasn't too well, and that Alice couldn't do a set due to work commitments.

However thanks to RBMan who stepped in at short notice and kept the R&B flag flying during his first set. Particularly like that Betty James track.

Welcome to Leona as replacement DJ, I enjoyed her set, some very nice stuff indeed. Of course can't remember what it was as I type this out. How about a playlist please?

Good to see Warren, and hello to all who were there, especially James from Cardiff and his mate.

Stow-A-Way is always worth a visit.

Nice one Thursday - Maria of all the Stow-aways I have been to that was by far your best set (personal opinion only of course).

There was also a very ggod second set from your guest DJ, Martin (RBman) - well done mate, you even got some of 'just came in for a drink' locals dancing.

Another good night and well worth a visit.

Dave

sorry I've not posted until now...been flying around Yorkshire & Nth Wales. A bit dazed now, but didn't want to leave it:

We expected a small soulie turnout due to Prestatyn and got it, but it was a really lovely night.

I really just want to say thank you to all who came along or wished me well at the weekender. Also to my Stow Sisters - we've had some laughs, haven't we.

Although I had really wanted one last night with Audra and Alice on the decks, it was an absolute joy to play with their standins - who were both beaming. Both got dancers up and we had enough people there to play for 5 hours - I even had to say goodbye twice, thanks to the extra time.

...Actually, it would be lovely to see some playlists from our guest MartinA and the new resident dj Leona.

I'll be handing over the website to Martin Thomson who has kindly (been) volunteered to keep it updated more often than me. My biggest challenge now, is to find a new photo under my Soul Source name :thumbsup:

The nice-list thing makes me uneasy as my mates will know, but I do have one I must add:

6. She is really stupid

I had my first attempted mugging tonight. He wanted my phone and said he had a knife in his pocket.

....it's a long story but you could say, I talked him out of it :thumbsup: .

m

shaken but not stirred :yes:

Guest JamesP

Sorry to see you go Maria but best wishes in your new job and life up north. Keep on spinning your fab tunes, will catch up with you somewhere no doubt. Thanks for making stow away such a great place to go.

Martin and Leona played some great sounds and it looks like the stow is still in good hands with leona as replacement. Girls keep up the good work

See you soon

James

Just to say really a huge thanks to Leona and Martin for covering on Thurs. Caught Martin doing a great first set when I had to leave, and heard Leona was "hot" too!

Maria- Yes you're stupid, but I've already told you off about it so I'll say no more whistling.gif

I think Audra's still recovering, but I'm sure she'll be around soon to officially welcome Leona.

...Actually, it would be lovely to see some playlists from our guest MartinA and the new resident dj Leona.

m

It was great to be asked to DJ at Stow, although I missed Alice and Audra doing their thing. As I got asked just before I left home I didn't get much chance to consider what records I should take but I'm chuffed that both sets were liked.

This is my plays as far as my memory recalls,

My Baby Likes To Boogaloo...The Emperors...Mala

She's A Good Woman....Rodger Collins...Galaxy W/D

I Lost The Best Thing I Ever Had.....Ted Taylor....Dade

I'm A Little Mixed Up.....Betty James......Chess

Have Love Will Travel....The Imperialites....Imperial

You've Got My Bait....Rosco Gordon.....Jomada

Jessie James....The Dreams....D C Sounds

I Never New....Clyde McPhatter.....Mercury

Putty In Your Hands....The Shirelles......V/Cut

Talkin' Woman.....Lowell Fulsom....Kent

Mellow Fellow....Etta James.....Argo

My Weakness Is You......Edwin Starr...Gordy

Candy To Me......Eddie Holland....Motown

Ain't To Proud To Beg..... Temptations....Gordy

Heaven Must Have Sent You.......Elgins....Tamla Motown

Something About You.....Four Tops....Motown

Washed Ashore....Platters....Musicor

Landslide......Tony Clarke....Chess

If I Could Only Be Sure......Nolan Porter.....ABC

Oh Baby....Barbara Lynn.....Jamie

The Magic Touch....Melba Moore...Kent

You Don't Know Where Your Interest Lies....Dana Valery....Columbia

Sweeter Than The Day Before...Valentinos.....Chess

I Burned Your Letter....Ruth Brown...Atlantic

Gotta Draw The Line....Darrow Fletcher....Groovy

I Want To Know....Mearle Spears....Atlantic

Seven Day Fool.......Etta James....Argo

Nothing But Blue Skies....Jackie Wilson....Brunswick

Please Stay....The Ivories.....Soul City

My Baby Just Cares For Me......Nina Simone...Charly

This Thing Called Love....Johnny Wyatt.....Bronco

This Old Heart Of Mine( Is Weak For You)....Tammi Terrell....Motown

(I Know ) I'm Losing You.......Temps.....Gordy

Way Over There...Edwin Starr...... Gordy

Money....Barrett Strong....Tamla Motown

Think Twice......Wilson & Baker..... Brunswick

Don't Mess With My Man.....Irma Thomas....Ron

I'm The Man.......The Dynamics.....Big Top

All For You......Earl Van Dyke......Tamla Motown.

Thanks for the great times at Stow, Maria........ hope to see you soon

Martinxx

Guest AudraT

Just to say really a huge thanks to Leona and Martin for covering on Thurs. Caught Martin doing a great first set when I had to leave, and heard Leona was "hot" too!

Maria- Yes you're stupid, but I've already told you off about it so I'll say no more thumbsup.gif

I think Audra's still recovering, but I'm sure she'll be around soon to officially welcome Leona.

Really sorry to miss Maria's last night on Thursday - but unfortunately I had this cold starting, and little Curtis had been sick all day - we're almost recovered now.

Thanks to Leona and Martin for stepping in, I know they had a great time, wish we could do it again before Maria heads off - hmmm?!

x

Source Advert