Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Northern Soul Dance Lessons

58 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi i live in bath and, attending scooter rallies in the last few years have discovered northern soul.

trouble is i cant dance it.

looking for some lessons in our area, anybody know of anybody providing this

cheers

Posted

Hi i live in bath and, attending scooter rallies in the last few years have discovered northern soul.

cheers

Hi there.Hope you get your dancing lessons in Bath.I prefer singing in the shower.Welcome to Soul Source thumbup.gif

Posted

Hi there.Hope you get your dancing lessons in Bath.I prefer singing in the shower.Welcome to Soul Source thumbup.gif

Now who's not funny lol

Posted

never known any teachers of northern soul dancing... i learnt by dancing infront of a mirror and just went with the sound of it .anyway not everyone dances the exact same on the scene .so just do your own thing mate ....i do thumbup.gif and welcome aboard

Posted

Hi

I dont think lessons are needed just a few stellas and when you hear that beat just moooooov your feet thumbup.gif

Stin

Posted

95% of the scene cant dance it 4% think they can 1% can

im the 1 percent thumbup.gif in my mind anyway laugh.gif

sod the dancing just enjoy the music good.gif

Posted

95% of the scene cant dance it 4% think they can 1% can

im the 1 percent thumbup.gif in my mind anyway laugh.gif

sod the dancing just enjoy the music good.gif

Bearsy tell marie you need a bigger door to fit your head through mate thumbup.gif

but good post though good.gif

Posted

Bearsy tell marie you need a bigger door to fit your head through mate thumbup.gif

but good post though good.gif

i wish Julie, Marie would rather just put my head through the door laugh.gif

dancing lessons no.gif just get out to a doo (nighter) watch dance and enjoy its the best way good.gif

Posted

i wish Julie, Marie would rather just put my head through the door laugh.gif

dancing lessons no.gif just get out to a doo (nighter) watch dance and enjoy its the best way good.gif

cOULDNT AGREE MORE good.gif

Posted

Have to agree with Bearsy....

Marie would rather put his head through the door...

regarding the dancing.. just copy other people ... try you tube... then do your own thing... as you learn...

welcome to soul source..

Posted

you do not need lessons feel the beat with thi feet...

although there is a place up here in north thats does em try googlin it

Posted (edited)

I'VE ALWAYS FOUND THAT ON THIS SCENE YOU CAN DO IT YOUR OWN WAY. MOST FOLK ARE IN A WORLD OF THEIR OWN ANYWAY. :thumbup:

LET THE BEAT TAKE YOU AND IT'S THE BEST FEELING IN THE WORLD

ATB JIMMY

Edited by The Joker

Posted

Dont worry about it just get on the floor and do your thing nobody cares . thumbup.gif

Posted

I agree with Mark above, do your own thing, people really don't care.

good luck and enjoy.

gary

Posted

just do it mate watch others blatently copy em practice at home then think your the best thats all ive ever done

dance like theres no one there

spike

ktf

twisted wheel

Posted

In Bath?

Do The Duck tumbleweed3.gif

Posted

Dance each Dance, as though it's your lastthumbup.gif

Cos one day it will beph34r.gif

Tony

Posted (edited)

With regard to dancing, I'm a newcomer too and went along with the same thought process .........It is daunting to start because often the floor is filled with dancers who have been doing there own thing for years and can move well many with spins and set steps etc...........

However, I found you just gotta do your own thing and go for it ...........thats the hard part........do what comes naturally and from your heart.

I still can't dance, but have a great time doing what I do.....

You also soon realise that most dancers are also "doing their own thing / in their zone" and as long as you are not in the way, wont care too much for what you are up too.........

I'd like to do a few things different, and hopefully that will come in time.

This was the site I found before, sorry if already posted NorthernDanceLessons ; worth a look and would be good to hear from anyone who has been there...........worth the money etc ?

Edited by RareMusicDirect

Posted

thought i'd seen an ad somewhere along the line - simple google search found this - http://www.danceolog...hern-soul-dance

Oh my god...just saw this site. What the f--k!laugh.gif The worlds gone mad...Northern Soul Dance academy style!

There is No 'way' of dancing in a Northern Soul style. Just do your own thing and dont take your drink onto the dance floor.

Posted

Yeah, just do your own thing. My personal thing is to dance so bloody fast that no one can see my crap footwork:shades: Ade

Posted (edited)

I think Chris Harvey gives lessons..

I'm with the feel the beat & dance etc, draw the curtains ... "Every fcuker practices" Keb Darge.

Edited by Simsy

Posted

I taught my daughter Gemma the basics and shes added her own style of moves to the way she dances and got better with lots of practise :tumbleweed3: But its like others have said you just got to do your own thing really and enjoy. :wave:

Happy dancing and welcome to SS :shades:

JB xxxKTFxxx

Posted

Give me £1500 i will buy Al Williams demo and play it all night that should do the trick

Stin

P.S It doesnt work with CDs or re-issues sorry whistling.gif

Posted

Just go with the flow mate,when the music get's into your Heart & Soul the dancing part just becomes a extension.You'll know in your own mind when you're ready to hit the floor. So KEEP THE FAITH in your HEART & SOUL and yoou'll be OKEH.That's me with no shirt on as young 17 year old going through the learning process.

post-5802-1259267576761_thumb.jpg

post-5802-1259267576761_thumb.jpg

Posted

Dance each Dance, as though it's your lastthumbup.gif

Cos one day it will beph34r.gif

Tony

Superb Sir, That say's all.

Posted

Go to doo's, watch, listen, love, feel, start to understand what floats your boat and then do what will come naturally.

Enjoy your soul and the rest will follow, promise.

Most of all don't be afraid to take to the floor, too many people let the fear of showing themselves up get in the way.

For me it's the only way I know to appreciate my music.

Good luck and welcome, let us know how it goes XXXXthumbup.gif

Posted

Oh my god...just saw this site. What the f--k!laugh.gif The worlds gone mad...Northern Soul Dance academy style!

There is No 'way' of dancing in a Northern Soul style. Just do your own thing and dont take your drink onto the dance floor.

you can do beginners, intermediate and advanced................ laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gifexcl.gif wonder if that girl in the tower vid had been for lessons

Posted

How dare folk charge you for learning to "dance northern soul"??????????

let your heart do the beat your feet the movement and do wat the rest of us do GET ALONG TO A SOUL DO and do ya own thing lol

PS i will only charge a £5 per hour

sue bushby

Posted

6-Week Beginners Courses

10 people maximum on each course

1 hour duration for each session, held once per week

£75 per person for each full course(including 2 wraps of powder)

£15 deposit secures your place (Non-returnable)

Mondays and Thursdays - 6pm till 7pm

Seriously just enjoy it.....

Posted

Lesson 1.

You put your left leg in, your left leg out.

In, Out, In, Out... then you shake it all about..

£50 please, Paypal accepted at 5% to cover my fees

Ayethankyew.

Posted

A couple of my mates have been to the one day class in Huddersfield and really enjoyed it

I'd be tempted but its beyond my budget

Reckon you can work it out with a few vodkas, some talc, tunes and decent floorboards

Posted (edited)

just do it mate watch others blatently copy em practice at home then think your the best thats all ive ever done

Sorry to reopen this thread, what Spike says is spot on, you dont get lessons, you watch the good dancers and steal, their moves, sod copying

themthumbup.gif .

Find a department store with a large window, obviously where the general public cant see you, and practice those moves you've pinched. Personally I've always thought footwork , Michael Jacksons was goodhatsoff2.gif , was more important than the moves, the gymnastics come later.

Theres anothe thread on here paying respects to Frank Booper as a dancer, when I first started coming up North we used to go to an allnighter in a cellar in Bradford, SoulCarp used to go as well.

Anyway Frank Booper used to attend this place, it had a floor the size an LP cover, I'd never seen anyone dance the Frank did, backdrops, spins, forward drops, nothing to fancy given the size of the floor.

Me I could'nt dance northern, having been bought up on the Wilby/Earls Barton scene, but vowed one day I would be able to dance like him.,, and if you still doing it nice onehatsoff2.gif

Hope your dancing is going OK and this helps, oh, and dont do silly things, at least till you're confident, you'll know when you're ready, or paranoia will get to you

Edited by DanDare

Posted

I haven't been able to dance for 40 years but that's never stopped me, just get up and jiggle about nobody will bother you.......there will always be someone better than you (and worse) I can remeber Frank Booper the trick was not to dance near him

Good luck

Sue

Posted

Get up on the floor to the songs that you get a real feel for you will know when a song comes on and your ears will tell your brain to get up on the floor dont give in to the urge to sit down because theres nobody dancing or its full of dancers and you dont wont to embarass yourself weve all been there first and foremost its the music that counts and when your on the floor your expressing how that song makes you feel the more nights you go to and the more you start to understand the songs and what there saying the more you will develope your own style goodluckthumbsup.gif

Kieran

Posted

573385_100000015143565_707004383_n.jpg

Another northern soul dance lessons provider in Southampton apparently?

Posted

think her name is fiona?...seen her at the front while i was djing glos alniter and then at the london alldayer (they do classes there early doors too)...shes very very good

dean

Posted

think her name is fiona?...seen her at the front while i was djing glos alniter and then at the london alldayer (they do classes there early doors too)...shes very very good

dean

I'll take your word for that Dean...

That's just thing, on the other website mentioned above, a lesson is eighty quid!

I'm not after lessons myself, but if I were a newb visiting the site, I'd want to see at least a video of the so called teacher doing their stuff before parting up with 80 sheets, wouldn't you?

Posted

Lessons ? nah! .....just "do it to it " :wink:

Posted

6-Week Beginners Courses

10 people maximum on each course

1 hour duration for each session, held once per week

£75 per person for each full course(including 2 wraps of powder)

£15 deposit secures your place (Non-returnable)

Mondays and Thursdays - 6pm till 7pm

Seriously just enjoy it.....

Is that 2 wraps of talcum powder? :shhh:

Posted

never been to any lessons...although i cant shuffle/stomp wotever you call it,just cant get it..but.just dance like no one is watching...

agree for those thinkin about it a vid would be good...

Posted

Stop Press.... Gap in the market .... 'Northern Soul Shuffling Lessons' ..? :g:

Posted

Do they cover all the different eras and styles.....the giffer shuffle to fascinating girl.....the mecca shuffle to summer in. The parks....the Stafford twist.....the aeroplane spin....the Wigan backdrop ...do you pay extra for how to choose your talc and beer glass avoidance and awareness sessions.Practice at home on your mama carpet and avoid that glass with a cat in it.

Posted

Never had a lesson in my life - perhaps I should have, as I've always thought I must look like Michael Barrymore on acid. But at my age I'm past caring.

Anyway I now get a perverse pleasure making my kids squirm with embarasment when the old man starts dancing.

Posted

Do they cover all the different eras and styles.....the giffer shuffle to fascinating girl.....the mecca shuffle to summer in. The parks....the Stafford twist.....the aeroplane spin....the Wigan backdrop ...do you pay extra for how to choose your talc and beer glass avoidance and awareness sessions.Practice at home on your mama carpet and avoid that glass with a cat in it.

I suggest you ask Andy Simpson from Bradford......he was THE referance in NS dancing....probably still is !!

Posted (edited)

utter bilge again from me , ignore, please

Edited by geeselad

Posted

573385_100000015143565_707004383_n.jpg

Another northern soul dance lessons provider in Southampton apparently?

That'll be Bearsy then....... :wicked::P

Posted

cheers

Did you take lessons ?

Are you now a dancer ?

Still on the scene ?

Wod be interesting to know as the thread was started in 2009

;) splie