Tony Clarke - Landslide - Chess - Question About This One

Pete S

TONY CLARKE - LANDSLIDE - CHESS 1979 ORIGINAL.

I was going to list one of these today so I played it to see how it sounded and to my surprise it was in stereo. Now obviously I remember the UK reissue being in stereo but I don't ever remember hearing a US stereo copy, unless I just didn't pick up on it. So can anyone else check their copies and see if theirs is in stereo or if anyone has any info as why Chess would have issued a stereo 45 back then I'd be interested. Ta.

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

I was going to list one of these today so I played it to see how it sounded and to my surprise it was in stereo. Now obviously I remember the UK reissue being in stereo but I don't ever remember hearing a US stereo copy, unless I just didn't pick up on it. So can anyone else check their copies and see if theirs is in stereo or if anyone has any info as why Chess would have issued a stereo 45 back then I'd be interested. Ta.

Mines's deffo a mono cut Pete - that's a strange one!!

Social source share

Hi Pete

I have a couple of copies, both US, slightly different Label Shade of Blue Label Wise.

However I think that the Deadwax is the same.

I will try to check them today.

Cheers Roger...run off details on this one are:

CK 1979 A

then what looks like SW if looking from the label outwards, the W joins the S to make it look like it's saying STU!

Social source share

CK 1979 A

then what looks like SW if looking from the label outwards, the W joins the S to make it look like it's saying STU!

Pete mine defo mono, and deadwax is, at 6 o'clock 14784, at 8 o'clock TM1769, then at 5 o'clock MW

hope this helps, wondered if flip "You made Me A VIP" is stereo on your copy as well?

steve

ps see ya said yours has "SW" stereo waxing???

Social source share

CK 1979 A

Definitely different then Pete

My copies are BOTH

TM1769 (With a strange @ type matrix mark scratched in)

14784 MW

I will play them though,

My graphics card has failed on my Main Computer, so will have to play through LapTop.

Social source share

You don't think it could be a previously undocumented boot do you? It's 100% definitely stereo.

I think that here are STYRENE Chess copies about though of other releases,

so could it be Genuine BUT from a different pressing plant.

My first thought

• Would a BOOT be so accurate using SW rather than MW in the Deadwax.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Where's Mr John Manship when you need him...

At a guess, digging through his stockpile of "Landslide"s to see if he's got any stereo copies!laugh.gif

Afternoon, John...

Social source share

CK 1979 A

Just a thought... might the "CK" indicate "CHECKER" which was part of the same label group. I know that some of the Checker LP's had CK xxxx etched in the runouts. Don't ask me why it might be the case though.

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

Just a thought... might the "CK" indicate "CHECKER" which was part of the same label group. I know that some of the Checker LP's had CK xxxx etched in the runouts. Don't ask me why it might be the case though.

IS THIS A 1979 RELEASE OR A TYPING ERROR? OR A RE RELEASE?

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

If you're asking what I think you're asking, the 1979 referred to is the Chess catalogue number for Tony Clarke - Landslide.

THANKS FOR CLEARING THAT UP.. THOUGHT I HAD A BOOT!!!!

Social source share

Definitely different then Pete

My copies are BOTH

TM1769 (With a strange @ type matrix mark scratched in)

14784 MW

I will play them though,

My graphics card has failed on my Main Computer, so will have to play through LapTop.

Hi Pete

Checked them & BOTH are MONO

Slightly different Label Shade of Blue.

However; the Deadwax Looks the same.

Chess_1979.gifChess_1979_.gif

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

I think it is a later copy myself....just been checking out one other stereo/mono that I could remember from the Chess group, 'The soulful Strings'. The deadwax on the stereo has that CK followed by the number Pete...though I would say it could be UK not CK...certainly a clear UK on the one side.

Sure that one was a later issue if I remember correctly?

P.S.

Great to see you back Roger :good:

Edited by Bogue
Social source share

Well this is a bit of a mystery so far, a record hundreds of us know and own and nobody else has got a stereo copy? I own a FREAK!

Don't think it's a one-off Pete, as I got a copy with exactly the same run-out details. The reason I say "I don't think" is that I can't confirm whether it plays Stereo or Mono as my record-player doesn't have such advanced technology on it :laugh:

However, the plot does thicken a little as the copy I have is practically an exact replica of the one on the "RIGHT" of Rogers picture :ohmy:

Social source share

I think it is a later copy myself....just been checking out one other stereo/mono that I could remember from the Chess group, 'The soulful Strings'. The deadwax on the stereo has that CK followed by the number Pete...though I would say it could be UK not CK...certainly a clear UK on the one side.

Cheers for that Bogue but I haven't got a f*cking clue what you're talking about :rolleyes:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Cheers for that Bogue but I haven't got a f*cking clue what you're talking about :g:

:rolleyes: Kin yam yams...you want to learn to speak proper like what I does! :sleep3:

Go back to your post 5 & then look at all the other run out read outs ( :ohmy: ) none of them have the CK (or UK as I believe it is) that you mentioned.

Soulful Strings - Burning Spear

Social source share

Mine looks the same as you describe your copy , i never thought mine was anything other than a legit reissue or a good boot .

Social source share

:rolleyes: Kin yam yams...you want to learn to speak proper like what I does! :g:

Go back to your post 5 & then look at all the other run out read outs ( :sleep3: ) none of them have the CK (or UK as I believe it is) that you mentioned.

Soulful Strings - Burning Spear

It's certainly not UK mate, the C's are unmistakable.

Social source share

It's certainly not UK mate, the C's are unmistakable.

Could depend which way round the block had it when he scratched it though...on one side of mine I would say it was a C...on the other it's a definate U.

One things for sure with this though Pete...you have made many a Soul policeman happy with this thread...imagine all the copies of Landslide getting ripped off the decks for calibration this coming weekend!!! :lol:

Social source share

P.S.

Great to see you back Roger :good:

Thanks Mate, It's Great To Be Back.

Social source share

can't check if stereo or mono but run out reads

TM1769 @ 14784 MW

label same as one pictured on left

bought this of jm a couple of years ago (as an orig)

gogs

Social source share

Mine looks the same as you describe your copy , i never thought mine was anything other than a legit reissue or a good boot .

If it's a legit re-issue it must have been re-issued in early 1969 or before as the Chess label changed to the Orange/Blue design you see on the Natural Fours-Devil Made Me Do It.

With regard to it being a boot, you would definitely be right in saying it was a good one. Other than run-out markings it's identical to 4 other blue chess releases I got.

Could it be the next Frank Wilson? tongue.gif If so, I'm not putting mine on the radiator!! laugh.gif

Social source share

If it's a legit re-issue it must have been re-issued in early 1969 or before as the Chess label changed to the Orange/Blue design you see on the Natural Fours-Devil Made Me Do It.

With regard to it being a boot, you would definitely be right in saying it was a good one. Other than run-out markings it's identical to 4 other blue chess releases I got.

Could it be the next Frank Wilson? tongue.gif If so, I'm not putting mine on the radiator!! laugh.gif

There would be no reason for them to reissue it 1969 though - it didn't get reissued here til 74 and that was after Out Of The Past bootlegged it. I'm pretty convinced it's real.

Social source share

There would be no reason for them to reissue it 1969 though - it didn't get reissued here til 74 and that was after Out Of The Past bootlegged it. I'm pretty convinced it's real.

Pete, Russ was selling chess copies about the same time as the OOTP boot, same price 85p.

Can't remember if they were stereo or not. It was about the middle of Nov73 they where all sold on the night at Wigan.

Somebody must have got one or know somebody who got it at the time.

PS I can't write in a Accrington accent.laugh.gif

Social source share

There's always the possibility that it was reissued in 1970 to "cash in" on his death.

how about they are both from the same release, and Chess needed a re-run, but they couldn't use the original masters? Or! the disc was popular and Chess wanted to cash in on the new "fandangled" craze of stereo, so run the 2nd load from the stereo mix??? ...just a thought!

steve

Social source share

how about they are both from the same release, and Chess needed a re-run, but they couldn't use the original masters? Or! the disc was popular and Chess wanted to cash in on the new "fandangled" craze of stereo, so run the 2nd load from the stereo mix??? ...just a thought!

steve

Not convinced Stereo was such a new craze in '67. Westrex (WS) pioneered (I think) the Mercury System (MS) in 1958.

I'd hazard a guess that the clue is in the fact that it has a CK mark in the run-out groove. Which to me would mean that it had more to do with the CHECKER process (pressing plant, etc). His previous release, "The Entertainer" had been a major hit on the Billboard chart and Chess/Checker/Cadet could have assumed that Landslide would do the same. Therefore, having the track mastered/plated and pressed up North, down South, East Coast and West.

Wouldn't surprise me if there where other run-out variations that have a similar look and feel. Depending on how many they binned.!!

[Removes Grandfathers anorak] laugh.gif

Edited by Blunny
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!