World Record Price For A Uk Sue 45

Pete S

Mick Smith sold his Willie mae Thornton - Tom Cat - UK Sue - for £770 last night. Jeez! I would have thought the previous highest price for a UK Sue would have been Mr Dynamite which I think went for £400. Who'd have thought it. Then again, I've never seen a copy of the record in question and Mick's was out of his own collection

Social source share

Mick Smith sold his Willie mae Thornton - Tom Cat - UK Sue - for £770 last night. Jeez! I would have thought the previous highest price for a UK Sue would have been Mr Dynamite which I think went for £400. Who'd have thought it. Then again, I've never seen a copy of the record in question and Mick's was out of his own collection

:hatsoff2: He must need a new set of golf clubs for the Ryder Cup.

Greg

Social source share

Disgustingly rare UK Sue 45. Remember many many moons ago (maybe a Record Collector mag) that it wasn't thought to exist. And such an iconic label steeped in UK soul/R&B history.

ha!, mick makes a habit of posessing records that dont exist....springs to mind...the ivories "please stay" and walter wilson "love keeps me cryin" both on wand but never released:yes:

Social source share

ha!, mick makes a habit of posessing records that dont exist....springs to mind...the ivories "please stay" on wand but never released:yes:

Unless he has a Demo or Test Pressing or Acetate, then it it must have been released?

Social source share

Physically manufactured with the intention of being released is not the same as actually being released.

Phil

That was nicely put and preempted my next comment, which would have been, my mate John Kelly picked one up (an issue) on eBay from the States for $3 'Buy It Now'. Incredible!!!

Went to a big Wand collector back in the States for $4figures. Not a bad profit, or what. :o)

Social source share

There's your Walter Wilson WALTER And your Ivories went for $3000. . .

As Pete said - Mr Dynamite on Sue reached £533 previous highest. Another copy of Tom Cat did reach £512 a couple of years ago.

Walter was on ebay just over a week back https://cgi.ebay.com/walter-wilson-MEGA-RARE-northern-soul-45-wand-MINT-/380248851327?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item588899037f

mind you it was from France so who knows ....ph34r.gif

Social source share

Wow another one! Pretty sure thats a well respected collector from France. So how many Walters are there now?

That's good to hear ,would hate someone to be stung for that amount .

Interestingly it sold for a lot less than last yr's copy ??

Social source share

Disgustingly rare UK Sue 45. Remember many many moons ago (maybe a Record Collector mag) that it wasn't thought to exist. And such an iconic label steeped in UK soul/R&B history.

In the mid 80s I went around to a guy's house in North London who had DJed at the New Scene Club in Soho in the mid 60s. He showed me several 12" 45 rpm records with Sue labels that had various titles typed on. Each record had about three or four tracks per side. Some I recognised as 45rpm releases but others not, some I'd never heard of period. Apparently they were supplied by Guy Stevens a couple of years earlier to test dance floor reaction.

Social source share

Wow another one! Pretty sure thats a well respected collector from France. So how many Walters are there now?

Yes Gilles Pettard, he worked for Billboard in Paris and got the NY guys to send records over that they got sent. What a FANTASTIC job!!!!

I have met Gilles and he is a serious collector and a great soul fan. I did send him my Wand wants list when there were a few things I was chasing back in the late 90s, and he didn't tell me he had a Walter Wilson. I think there are 4 of them thus far including Mick Smith's cracked copy. :lol:

Oh and Tom Cat - I've had it for years on Sue and never realised it was rare!!!!! I told Mick this at Cleethorpes, think my copy came from Mile End for 10p in the 80s when they were clearing out their basement. :lol: (amazing finds there).

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

There's your Walter Wilson WALTER And your Ivories went for $3000. . .

As Pete said - Mr Dynamite on Sue reached £533 previous highest. Another copy of Tom Cat did reach £512 a couple of years ago.

I got a Mr Dynamite in the eighties for £8 thank god. I remember deejays playing the A and having another copy ready on the other deck for the instrumental....so thats £1,066.00 or £16

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yes Gilles Pettard, he worked for Billboard in Paris and got the NY guys to send records over that they got sent. What a FANTASTIC job!!!!

I have met Gilles and he is a serious collector and a great soul fan. I did send him my Wand wants list when there were a few things I was chasing back in the late 90s, and he didn't tell me he had a Walter Wilson. I think there are 4 of them thus far including Mick Smith's cracked copy. :(

Oh and Tom Cat - I've had it for years on Sue and never realised it was rare!!!!! I told Mick this at Cleethorpes, think my copy came from Mile End for 10p in the 80s when they were clearing out their basement. :lol: (amazing finds there).

Thats the fella. Have seen his name mentioned many times over the years. Didn't know about the Billboard job - wow. Someone told me many years ago there was a dentist in Belgium or France who had a serious serious collection too. Who? I dont know.

Social source share

Monsieur Petard is not just a collector of note, but was also president and founder of Motown in France! He's also had his own record labels, has been responsible for numerous compilations and is an ardent collector of original press photos of soul acts. If you dig through your CD collection, you just might find several with photos of obscure acts and which state "Photos courtesy of the Gilles Petard Collection".

Here's a TV interview with him that serves as a useful introduction to the man...

https://www.france24.com/en/20090708-the-interview-gilles-petard

Edited by rigilbert
Social source share

:thumbsup: Hi PETE & INDEED ALL SUE COLECTORS. I THINK MICK GOT A GOOD PRICE FOR AN EXTREMELY RARE RECORD, IT IS ANOTHER EXAMPLE WERE THE RIGHTS OF UK RELEASE WERE RESTRICTED TO LP ONLY, BUT IN TRUE Island STYLE BENT THE RULES, THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST RECORDS BY FAR ON THE UK LABEL, WITH NO US RELEASE IS WHAT MAKES IT PRICEY? LAST WOLVES FAIR THE LP THIS IS BLUES WAS FOR SALE £8 WITH THIS TRACK. AS FOR THE OTHER TRACK, I WOULD NOT RATE IT AT THAT PRICE? AND DINT NO WHY ITS GETTING MONEY?? I HAD A JAY Mac NEALY ON A BLACK & RED BOW TIE SUE UK STAMPED SUE MATRIX THAT ENDED UP WITH MICK, HE STILL HAS IT SO WHATS THAT WORTH??:lol: DAVE KIL

Social source share

LAST WOLVES FAIR THE LP THIS IS BLUES WAS FOR SALE £8 WITH THIS TRACK. DAVE KIL

A wonderful album - 15/- new - it opened up a whole new world for me - back then you knew Muddy, Wolf etc but the artists on this album were something else :thumbsup: - Sammy Myers, Tarheel Slim, J.B. Lenoir, Frankie Lee Sims, Lowell Fulsom - a great great album filed alongside 'This Is Sue' ! Mike

Social source share

• 4 years later...

So in order of rarity when it comes to British Sue releases.. what would be in the top ten?

Willie Mae Thornton Tom Cat Wi345

Elmore James Knocking at your door Wi392

Zz Hill/Jackie Day/Intentions/Bobby Day Ep Gimme gimme before its too late etc 71

Wallace Brothers wi4036 ? lamp sisters Wi4048??

Took me awhile to get Kelly Brothers 4034 Claudine Clark 4039.

I find that Mr.Dynamite 4027 comes up fairly often, still probably in the top 10 rare Sue..

Any others people found hard? or finding hard?

Just out of interest really being a sue Collector.

Social source share

thumbsup.gif Hi PETE & INDEED ALL SUE COLECTORS. I THINK MICK GOT A GOOD PRICE FOR AN EXTREMELY RARE RECORD, IT IS ANOTHER EXAMPLE WERE THE RIGHTS OF UK RELEASE WERE RESTRICTED TO LP ONLY, BUT IN TRUE Island STYLE BENT THE RULES, THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST RECORDS BY FAR ON THE UK LABEL, WITH NO US RELEASE IS WHAT MAKES IT PRICEY? LAST WOLVES FAIR THE LP THIS IS BLUES WAS FOR SALE £8 WITH THIS TRACK. AS FOR THE OTHER TRACK, I WOULD NOT RATE IT AT THAT PRICE? AND DINT NO WHY ITS GETTING MONEY?? I HAD A JAY Mac NEALY ON A BLACK & RED BOW TIE SUE UK STAMPED SUE MATRIX THAT ENDED UP WITH MICK, HE STILL HAS IT SO WHATS THAT WORTH??laugh.png DAVE KIL

If you're talking about Tom Cat, it did get a US release, on Sotoplay

• Helpful 1
Social source share

So in order of rarity when it comes to British Sue releases.. what would be in the top ten?

Willie Mae Thornton Tom Cat Wi345

Elmore James Knocking at your door Wi392

Zz Hill/Jackie Day/Intentions/Bobby Day Ep Gimme gimme before its too late etc 71

Wallace Brothers wi4036 ? lamp sisters Wi4048??

Took me awhile to get Kelly Brothers 4034 Claudine Clark 4039.

I find that Mr.Dynamite 4027 comes up fairly often, still probably in the top 10 rare Sue..

Any others people found hard? or finding hard?

Just out of interest really being a sue Collector.

Interesting list. I'd include Edgewood Smith 4037 which is a real bastard to track down. What do you think? Edited by dimples
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

• 11 months later...
On July 21, 2010 at 18:52, Funky 4 Corners said:

In the mid 80s I went around to a guy's house in North London who had DJed at the New Scene Club in Soho in the mid 60s. He showed me several 12" 45 rpm records with Sue labels that had various titles typed on. Each record had about three or four tracks per side. Some I recognised as 45rpm releases but others not, some I'd never heard of period. Apparently they were supplied by Guy Stevens a couple of years earlier to test dance floor reaction.

Are you talking about the Sue sampler for clubs LP. I think Guy Stevens had 5-10 printed to hand out to a few DJs around the country. I located a copy in Manchester a few years ago.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!