St Ives Reunion (Huntingdon)

Guest bedfordsoulie

piccy of me and others at st ives many moons ago...post-9436-010625800 1284410141_thumb.jpg

Obviously that's Mr Barnfather 2nd right but who are the others? John Vincent sans moustache perhaps?

Anyway, just had a look on the Cambridge Soul Collective website and think that £8.50 (that's with the collectives' discount) is a little steep for a Soul night - the Real Deal Lifeline in Wolverhampton is an all nighter running from 9pm to 7am (10 hours as opposed to 6) on the same night and its only a tenner.....

Not too sure about going now!

Mick

Social source share

Obviously that's Mr Barnfather 2nd right but who are the others? John Vincent sans moustache perhaps?

Anyway, just had a look on the Cambridge Soul Collective website and think that £8.50 (that's with the collectives' discount) is a little steep for a Soul night - the Real Deal Lifeline in Wolverhampton is an all nighter running from 9pm to 7am (10 hours as opposed to 6) on the same night and its only a tenner.....

Not too sure about going now!

Mick

from the left,me.then dave portway from st neots,cambs.john vincent.then a geezer from the rushden/kettering area cannot remember his name though.!!,soul sam.then bedfords finest hammie...

Social source share

• 1 year later...

l used to deejay at st lves in the 70's and at the re-union nites from 2001 - 2007 when john tompkins, mark sanders and

steve bounden were running it, then it all changed in 2008 when david hayden took over and excluded me from the dj line up

he never gave me a reason for doing this and l only knew of my exclusion when somebody pointed out to me that my name

wasn't on the forthcoming flyer for 2008 reunion, l was very disappointed and felt very bitter. a lot of people have spoken

and made remarks on my behalf and think it was a bad decision to omit me but never mind, it was good while it lasted.

Tony Warot.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

l used to deejay at st lves in the 70's and at the re-union nites from 2001 - 2007 when john tompkins, mark sanders and

steve bounden were running it, then it all changed in 2008 when david hayden took over and excluded me from the dj line up

he never gave me a reason for doing this and l only knew of my exclusion when somebody pointed out to me that my name

wasn't on the forthcoming flyer for 2008 reunion, l was very disappointed and felt very bitter. a lot of people have spoken

and made remarks on my behalf and think it was a bad decision to omit me but never mind, it was good while it lasted.

Tony Warot.

Tony half the DJ,s used by the more recent promoter probably never even went to St Ives let alone DJ,d there.

I told him to work his DJ spot when he took over and put it where the sun wont shine.

Hope you work it out.......although I doubt it while the present promoter is ego tripping

Social source share

from the left,me.then dave portway from st neots,cambs.john vincent.then a geezer from the rushden/kettering area cannot remember his name though.!!,soul sam.then bedfords finest hammie...

Bloody hell Barry you and Dave allways managed to get your ugly mugs into the photos, :lol:

Dave f........

Social source share

Tony half the DJ,s used by the more recent promoter probably never even went to St Ives let alone DJ,d there.

I told him to work his DJ spot when he took over and put it where the sun wont shine.

Hope you work it out.......although I doubt it while the present promoter is ego tripping

do you ever give up having a go smudge ??? tony dellar, ginger, hammie, kev draper, max rees are all ex st ives dj's ...you were given a spot and you chose to throw your toys out of the pram as it was not the time you wanted....so who has the ego ??

i never dj'ed there smudge, never said i did , its a great night and no one misses you being there as i'm sure no one would miss me if i was not there .... the event is about the place and the people, long may it live on

David

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Tony Warot.

never excluded you Tony the first one you did not do the main room dj's were chosen by Steve not me , so if you want to ask why your were dropped then ask him, i chose to bring in other ex st ives dj's , i dont always used my very good friend Max Rees , i am very happy with the line up we have but do change dj's now and then , there are other ex st ives dj's i would like to have on the bill and they will be in years to come ...not sure why you feel bitter ? you had a good 6 year run , and i have said to you in the past you may be on the bill again at some stage , but i am very happy with the team of st ives dj's i have at the moment

best regards

David

Edited by CAMBRIDGE SOUL
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

re post above about last min ??? tickets are on line at www.wegottickets.com about 3/4 months in advance, also there is also a thread on here with the flyer for the current year and detail on how to get tickets, sometimes i think people just do not look at the events forum ?? so if you need any info for the st ives reunion the email me at cambridgesoul@hotmail.co.uk

and deto ,strange as you are a friend of mine on face book so you know all about where to get tickets ?? , face book is the best place to get info as unlike this site you do not get misleading messages and people with their own agenders , sad but true

Edited by CAMBRIDGE SOUL
Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

do you ever give up having a go smudge ??? tony dellar, ginger, hammie, kev draper, max rees are all ex st ives dj's ...you were given a spot and you chose to throw your toys out of the pram as it was not the time you wanted....so who has the ego ??

i never dj'ed there smudge, never said i did , its a great night and no one misses you being there as i'm sure no one would miss me if i was not there .... the event is about the place and the people, long may it live on

David

Dont patronise me!!!!!!

St Ives is all about the place and the people..............and you were not one of them!!!!!!!

Social source share

Dont patronise me!!!!!!

St Ives is all about the place and the people..............and you were not one of them!!!!!!!

Not patronising you Smudge, but wanted to point out you have your Facts wrong as the majority of the DJ's on the bill are original dj's from st Ives.

I never went in the mid 70's (and have never said i did) as I was too young and did not even make the last one of 1977 when it closed but went to everyone when it started again in 1980? , so again you have your FACTS wrong.

Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

Not patronising you Smudge, but wanted to point out you have your Facts wrong as the majority of the DJ's on the bill are original dj's from st Ives.

I never went in the mid 70's (and have never said i did) as I was too young and did not even make the last one of 1977 when it closed but went to everyone when it started again in 1980? , so again you have your FACTS wrong.

Facts..........how can you know the FACTS if you were not there? With all do respect to Hammy,Kev and others they were not ORIGINAL St Ives DJ,s.

They appeared later........they were not originals.Good DJ,s with great collections all the same.

You replaced me with James Trouble,again a good DJ with ablity to play from the heart,but not a St Ives DJ!

Mr Cambridge Soul ..........get it right or pack it in !!!!!!!!

Social source share

Irrespective of the DJ line up for the next "Reunion" or from previous efforts to manage an event capturing the music of the day, in my experience the events become just another oldies night, rolliing out the same old tired records, some of which were first played long after St Ives all-nighters ceased.. The tunes I've heard played could have and were played everywhere, and were not representative of the St Ives sound at all.

If you're going to badge an event as a St Ives Reunion, then make an effort to get the music right.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Facts..........how can you know the FACTS if you were not there? With all do respect to Hammy,Kev and others they were not ORIGINAL St Ives DJ,s.

They appeared later........they were not originals.Good DJ,s with great collections all the same.

You replaced me with James Trouble,again a good DJ with ablity to play from the heart,but not a St Ives DJ!

Mr Cambridge Soul ..........get it right or pack it in !!!!!!!!

You can spout off all you want to smudge, but the line up at the Reunion works well. I was there when I was there and you were there when you were there, it's not about YOU or me but the venue and the people that go to the reunion now, new and old faces

Plus it is a St Ives reunion not a St Ives reunion up until 1977, so all the dj's mentioned are original St Ives DJ's.

James Trouble did me a favour, and was happy to do a "st Ives" set when you let me down and did not want to do the opening set, your loss his gain. he loved doing it

We have been over these facts on so many web site and so many threads Smudge, this will be the last time I reply to any of your spiteful, childish comments about St ives, I have said you were always welcome to come even after you let me down, but you seem to be bitter about it, well as I have said before your loss, I have nothing more to say on the St ives subject with you

Edited by CAMBRIDGE SOUL
Social source share

I got a nice Howard Mallet patch for sale. i know it aint St Ives related, but i thought you cambs lads might be interested.

on a lighter note, I did the very last all niter at The Ivo (late 77) and sat open mouthed all night at what was going on. i think i sat under the stairs and didnt budge until Harry started the mini bus in the morning :lol: . I did return for the all dayers a couple of yrs later, absolutely loved it!

good luck with the Reunion,

post-14474-0-68053700-1331462916_thumb.j

post-14474-0-38766700-1331463021_thumb.j

Social source share

Irrespective of the DJ line up for the next "Reunion" or from previous efforts to manage an event capturing the music of the day, in my experience the events become just another oldies night, rolliing out the same old tired records, some of which were first played long after St Ives all-nighters ceased.. The tunes I've heard played could have and were played everywhere, and were not representative of the St Ives sound at all. If you're going to badge an event as a St Ives Reunion, then make an effort to get the music right.

Hi Cliff

Well as it's a reunion, it will be an oldies night? And you will have many big St Ives sounds played at every one as it's a REUNION!

And once again this is not a reunion of the ST Ives all nighters that stopped in 1977? It is a reunion of St Ives from the 70's and 80's; many of the people that go cut their teeth in Russ Towers days.

I know some of the dj's play the odd sound that I don't think of as a St ives sound, Tony Dellar played Tony Galla & the rising suns - so in love at the last reunion, but 80 plus % of the records played were played at the original St Ives all-nighters in the 70's and close to 100% of the records were played at the original nighters in the 70's and revival nighter and dayers in the 80's.

At the end of the day I am the one who puts the effort into keeping this event alive , it take a lot of time and energy , I do it for the love of the music and my friends who loved this event back in the 70's and 80's , sometimes because of a small number of people nit picking about the night I feel like putting my hands up in the air and saying sod it...but then I think a handful of people compared to the hundreds that come along and have a great night, smiling with friends and dancing the night , makes it all worthwhile.

I'm not sure why I feel the need to justify a very successful event?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I got a nice Howard Mallet patch for sale. i know it aint St Ives related, but i thought you cambs lads might be interested. on a lighter note, I did the very last all niter at The Ivo (late 77) and sat open mouthed all night at what was going on. i think i sat under the stairs and didnt budge until Harry started the mini bus in the morning :lol: . I did return for the all dayers a couple of yrs later, absolutely loved it! good luck with the Reunion,

thanks for your kind comments, the Mallett , what a place , have one of these badges somewhere, the first one go's for a few £ now adays , think there was 3 different ones in total , Tony Dellar has a Mallett reunion in Nov every year , always a great night ;-)

Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

You can spout off all you want to smudge, but the line up at the Reunion works well. I was there when I was there and you were there when you were there, it's not about YOU or me but the venue and the people that go to the reunion now, new and old faces

Plus it is a St Ives reunion not a St Ives reunion up until 1977, so all the dj's mentioned are original St Ives DJ's.

James Trouble did me a favour, and was happy to do a "st Ives" set when you let me down and did not want to do the opening set, your loss his gain. he loved doing it

We have been over these facts on so many web site and so many threads Smudge, this will be the last time I reply to any of your spiteful, childish comments about St ives, I have said you were always welcome to come even after you let me down, but you seem to be bitter about it, well as I have said before your loss, I have nothing more to say on the St ives subject with you

You may not answer,but I know you will read my reply.You say its "my loss" sorry David I dont feel any sense of loss. I will not step back into the place while there is a promoter at the helm that only puts the venue on for self gratification.

I dont need a St Ives reunion to play my records David.I turn down more bookings than I accept.

I do hope St Ives reunions continue,they are enjoyed by many,although not as many as they did under a former leadership.

Social source share

I'm not sure why I feel the need to justify a very successful event?

It may well be succesful, but then isn't pretty much every oldies event... it's DJing by numbers.

St Ives in it's day was a great melting pot from all that was good from The Mecca, Cleethorpes and Wigan.... the playlists I've experienced pretty much ignore anything that isn't a popular oldie that can be heard at any oldies event, anywhere for the past 20 years.

A "reunion" from a specific venue from a specific time should have it's musical focus placed on the music that made St Ives unique.

Anything less is superficial however succesful it may be.

Edited by Wrongcrowd
Social source share

You may not answer,but I know you will read my reply.You say its "my loss" sorry David I dont feel any sense of loss. I will not step back into the place while there is a promoter at the helm that only puts the venue on for self gratification.

I dont need a St Ives reunion to play my records David.I turn down more bookings than I accept.

I do hope St Ives reunions continue,they are enjoyed by many,although not as many as they did under a former leadership.

Well Smudge, I will make one comment as you are having a go at me personally on the promoting side, one fact that has never been mentioned is that when the last line up under with Steve's hand on the helm (as you put it) was decided I had one DJ pick in the main room line up and my choice was you. I did have to fight my corner to get you in but at the time I felt it was the right move so I am not sure where that falls under your accusation of self gratification, oh well for every man there is an opinion

Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

Well Smudge, I will make one comment as you are having a go at me personally on the promoting side, one fact that has never been mentioned is that when the last line up under with Steve's hand on the helm (as you put it) was decided I had one DJ pick in the main room line up and my choice was you. I did have to fight my corner to get you in but at the time I felt it was the right move so I am not sure where that falls under your accusation of self gratification, oh well for every man there is an opinion

Dont try to get round me David,it wont work.

Im getting bored now.......................the weeds in the garden have started to revive,must pull them up.

Social source share

It may well be succesfu, but then isn't pretty much every oldies event... it's DJing by numbers.

St Ives in it's day was a great melting pot from all that was good from The Mecca, Cleethorpes and Wigan.... the playlists I've experienced pretty much ignore anything that isn't a popular oldie that can be heard at any oldies event, anywhere for the past 20 years.

A "reunion" fro a specific venue from a specific time should have it's musical focus placed on the music that made St Ives unique.

Anything less is superficial however succesful it may be.

The reunion is at the specific venue and it plays music from the specific time it was going in the 70's & 80's, from that venue.....so it does what you say a reunion should do , so I'm not sure of your point ? ...it's not a superficial night; it's at the original venue with original dj's playing original st Ives sounds

There are up to 700 people at the venue and the dj's will play the sounds the majority want to hear, the dance floor is king at an event like this as it's not a chin rubbing collectors night and never has tried to be, if you would like to host a small room for the underplayed sounds from the st ives all nighters of the 70's then drop me a line and we may be able to do something if you feel there is a call for it , i'm always happy to give the event different and interesting options

Social source share

Dont try to get round me David,it wont work. Im getting bored now.......................the weeds in the garden have started to revive,must pull them up.

you do rate yourself Andy ! lol , not trying to get round you, just stating the facts, enjoy the weeding

ps i got bored of you having a poke about the reunion and me about 2 years ago ! lol

Edited by CAMBRIDGE SOUL
Social source share

i'm not stirring it , this is a valid question, if it's about the venue how come the current floor fillers and new releases room now plays oldies and the 'theatre' (old oldies room) now plays disco? sooooo against the original st.ives ethos. just asking.... UNLESS that's how it was post 1977 (because, alas, i only went to st.ives in the EASC days when it was 'up there' with Wigan and Clees

Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

you do rate yourself Andy ! lol , not trying to get round you, just stating the facts, enjoy the weeding

ps i got bored of you having a poke about the reunion and me about 2 years ago ! lol

Im back!!!!

David its not about scoring points.This whole episode starting with Tony Warot wanting an explanation for being excluded.

Its turned into your self preservation and trying to justify your over inflated ego.

Your not going to win David.Since you took over St Ives it has turned into an overgrown same old same old...............nothing against these nights,but not when they are advertised as something else.

Where has Brian Rae been for the last couple...........a St Ives stalwart................I believe I know the reason!!!!!

Social source share

i'm not stirring it , this is a valid question, if it's about the venue how come the current floor fillers and new releases room now plays oldies and the 'theatre' (old oldies room) now plays disco? sooooo against the original st.ives ethos. just asking.... UNLESS that's how it was post 1977 (because, alas, i only went to st.ives in the EASC days when it was 'up there' with Wigan and Clees

in the 80's the theatre room was used as a 70's modern room Coops , the modern room is now upstairs and the theatre room is not used at the moment, and "disco" was played in that room in the 80's

as i have said before it is not just a reunion of the all nighters , if it was then it would be best to make it an all nighter , its about the 70's & the 80's st ives

Re your comment" how come the current floor fillers and new releases room now plays oldies", it's a reunion so therefore the records played will be oldies now? Evolution was for taking the current sounds in the main room Mick

Edited by CAMBRIDGE SOUL
Social source share

Im back!!!!

David its not about scoring points.This whole episode starting with Tony Warot wanting an explanation for being excluded.

Its turned into your self preservation and trying to justify your over inflated ego.

Your not going to win David.Since you took over St Ives it has turned into an overgrown same old same old...............nothing against these nights,but not when they are advertised as something else.

self preservation ? i have no idea what you are going on about ? over inflated ego...pmsl sorry was on the floor rolling about , that coming from you ! ha ha ha ha

Social source share

Guest martyn

From a neutral corner............I went to St Ives from January 76 until the last nighter in October 77 & then again to the dayers from 79 onwards & attended a couple of the latter nighters in the early/mid 80s.

I have enjoyed the re-unions to a point. Its great to see old mates again............. But, the music played at the last few (excluding the last one as I didnt go so cant comment) is not at all representitive of the St Ives sounds from when St Ives was up there competing with Wigan & Cleethorpes in 76 & 77. In fact I would say the stuff played in the main room is mainly a mish mash of overplayed records from any period from the early days of the scene to the present. This kinda makes who DJs irrellevant - any mug with a decent collection could get up on the stage & do that ! Now if you are'nt looking to replicate the sounds played in the venue's hayday, fine, but cant the original DJs be given a chance to play the sounds that made the place great - or just advertise it as an oldies night rather than a re-union/ revival to avoid confusion ?......... Its all well & good to talk about what was played at the venue in the 80s, but to be honest from 79 onwards when it re-opened the place was finished as a cutting edge part of the scene.... I will probably go to the next one, it is after all nice to meet up with people in an authentic setting whatever is being played.

BTW January 76 DJs from memory so forgive me if Im wrong - Ginger & Eddie, Brian Rae, John Vincent, Tony Dellar, Smudge, Poke, Jonah ??????

Social source share

From a neutral corner............I went to St Ives from January 76 until the last nighter in October 77 & then again to the dayers from 79 onwards & attended a couple of the latter nighters in the early/mid 80s.

I have enjoyed the re-unions to a point. Its great to see old mates again............. But, the music played at the last few (excluding the last one as I didnt go so cant comment) is not at all representitive of the St Ives sounds from when St Ives was up there competing with Wigan & Cleethorpes in 76 & 77. In fact I would say the stuff played in the main room is mainly a mish mash of overplayed records from any period from the early days of the scene to the present. This kinda makes who DJs irrellevant - any mug with a decent collection could get up on the stage & do that ! Now if you are'nt looking to replicate the sounds played in the venue's hayday, fine, but cant the original DJs be given a chance to play the sounds that made the place great - or just advertise it as an oldies night rather than a re-union/ revival to avoid confusion ?......... Its all well & good to talk about what was played at the venue in the 80s, but to be honest from 79 onwards when it re-opened the place was finished as a cutting edge part of the scene.... I will probably go to the next one, it is after all nice to meet up with people in an authentic setting whatever is being played.

BTW January 76 DJs from memory so forgive me if Im wrong - Ginger & Eddie, Brian Rae, John Vincent, Tony Dellar, Smudge, Poke, Jonah ??????

all i can say is Giner & Tony Dellar are on for 3 hours in total out of the 6 so if you want a sound played ask them , i would hope they play a representation of what they did back in the day , i went to the Fleet from the first one and there are lots of sounds that friends remember from 78/79/80 from the fleet that i dont, so sometimes depends what floated your boat at the time, the feed back i get from a large amount of original st ives punters from the 70's is that a lot of the old sounds are played so as i said before for every man there is an opinion , thanks for your feed back

also i must say when i went to the reunions as a punter i missed most of the music as i spent most of the time catchin up with old friends , if someone would like to sit and list all the records played at the next one and post them feel free , it would be an interesting thread ......and any one that wants to send their top 20 st ives sounds to me , i will print them out and put them on stage for the dj's to see, then its upto them, they are paid to give everyone a great night

from 79 onwards there were some cutting edge modern stuff played there thats for sure , and as i have said more than once it is a reunion for the 70's and 80's not just the all nighters that ended in 1977

Edited by CAMBRIDGE SOUL
Social source share

Guest martyn

all i can say is Giner & Tony Dellar are on for 3 hours in total out of the 6 so if you want a sound played ask them , i would hope they play a representation of what they did back in the day , i went to the Fleet from the first one and there are lots of sounds that friends remember from 78/79/80 from the fleet that i dont, so sometimes depends what floated your boat at the time, the feed back i get from a large amount of original st ives punters from the 70's is that a lot of the old sounds are played so as i said before for every man there is an opinion , thanks for your feed back

also i must say when i went to the reunions as a punter i missed most of the music as i spent most of the time catchin up with old friends , if someone would like to sit and list all the records played at the next one and post them feel free , it would be an interesting thread ......and any one that wants to send their top 20 st ives sounds to me , i will print them out and put them on stage for the dj's to see, then its upto them, they are paid to give everyone a great night

from 79 onwards there were some cutting edge modern stuff played there thats for sure , and as i have said more than once it is a reunion for the 70's and 80's not just the all nighters that ended in 1977

Fair call, I still think the plays are lacking imagination though - will have a think & post again later when I have more time

Social source share

• 1 month later...
Guest manusf3a

The geezer is Rug
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Are you sure thats Rug ?

Yes I am sure thats Rug,I spent enough time with him back in the day,Havent seen him for years now but have been told by someone on this forum that he died a few years ago which was upsetting to hear as I relly liked the bloke and together with him and Wilky had some really good laughs,he used to concentrate on recent mecca big sounds of the time and also had some good classic oldies in his collection.Last time I saw him he was running a record stall at wellingborough market about twenty odd years ago.

ps, you would recognose him by side parting hanging over his face and that somewhat puzzled looking expression he had(used no doubt when someone made a ridiculous bid for one of his records or when somone refused what he considered a reasonable offer for one of theirs.

The photo was more than likely taken on one of the occasions he dj ed at st Ives oldies room.

Social source share

Guest martyn

Yes I am sure thats Rug,I spent enough time with him back in the day,Havent seen him for years now but have been told by someone on this forum that he died a few years ago which was upsetting to hear as I relly liked the bloke and together with him and Wilky had some really good laughs,he used to concentrate on recent mecca big sounds of the time and also had some good classic oldies in his collection.Last time I saw him he was running a record stall at wellingborough market about twenty odd years ago.

ps, you would recognose him by side parting hanging over his face and that somewhat puzzled looking expression he had(used no doubt when someone made a ridiculous bid for one of his records or when somone refused what he considered a reasonable offer for one of theirs.

The photo was more than likely taken on one of the occasions he dj ed at st Ives oldies room.

Remember him playin Lester Tipton for the first time at The Rock in Rushden before a St Ives nighter back in 77, think it was him that was responsible for Baja Marimba Band as well the same night (covered as Mike Post), you'd probably know better than me .....Someone on here told me he had passed away too, was never 'mates' but used to pass the time of day, just didnt click that it was him in the photo - another sad loss

Edited by martyn
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Remember him playin Lester Tipton for the first time at The Rock in Rushden before a St Ives nighter back in 77, think it was him that was responsible for Baja Marimba Band as well the same night (covered as Mike Post), you'd probably know better than me .....Someone on here told me he had passed away too, was never 'mates' but used to pass the time of day, just didnt click that it was him in the photo - another sad loss

I remember when he was mad on the ",Detriot executives",among others.

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Agree completely what was then was lost no doubt whatsoever.
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

It seems that l've caused quite an argument about "St Ives" and my involvement. l know it's a tough job being a promotor and the risks are

high and plenty, at the end of the day, l was only questioning "Honesty" and l've probably left a bitter taste in the mouths of some.

Thanks for all the comments made by many regarding this issue, "QUE SERA,SERA" as they say. . it's time to move on.

Tony Warot.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!