News: The Servicemen And The Soul Setters New Cd Releases

I was speaking to Hadley for a while some years ago, in fact I posted details of what he knew about the Servicemen on here, back then he said to watch out for this cd and the unissued cuts. Been awhile but worth the wait, will be on to Amazon later to grab a copy of each. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

The Servicemen CD has been out ages has it not? I got a promo sent ages ago must be over a year ago now, nice package well worth getting.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Hi Mark

It may have been, but Hadley said that they had had promise of support from people in the UK, got no feedback and no visable sales. I said I would help see if I could help get a little exsposure for them.

Dave

Social source share

Hi Mark

It may have been, but Hadley said that they had had promise of support from people in the UK, got no feedback and no visable sales. I said I would help see if I could help get a little exsposure for them.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Pretty sure if my memory serves me correctly The Servicemen CD did get a mention here on Soulsource either as a press release or it's own thread, pretty sure Chalky will remember as I'm sure we both made a contribution, might be worth having a dig on here to see if we did cover it, I had pretty much finished with Solar/Starpoint when I got the CD so was unable to give it any support airplay wise, well worth bringing it to our attention and certainly worth picking up, I remember asking them/Hadley maybe why 'Sweet Magic'/'Connie' were not included on the CD and was told they did not own or have access to those masters which seemed a little odd.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Edited by Mark Bicknell
Social source share

Hi Dave,

Pretty sure if my memory serves me correctly The Servicemen CD did get a mention here on Soulsource either as a press release or it's own thread, pretty sure Chalky will remember as I'm sure we both made a contribution, might be worth having a dig on here to see if we did cover it, I had pretty much finished with Solar/Starpoint when I got the CD so was unable to give it any support airplay wise, well worth bringing it to our attention and certainly worth picking up, I remember asking them/Hadley maybe why 'Sweet Magic'/'Connie' were not included on the CD and was told they did not own or have access to those masters which seemed a little odd.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Hi Mark

Your right there was last year and it was you that started the thread

But no harm giving another boost

Cheers

Dave

Social source share

Hi Mark

Your right there was last year and it was you that started the thread

But no harm giving another boost

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave I for one appreciate the info Even though im on here pretty regularly i didnt know about the CD The Servicemen are in my top 3? for Brilliance and gevity of performance

DJ

Social source share

The Servicemen And Other Groups Like The Falcons Are All Underrated !!! Gonna Have Get This Cd But It Looks Like Connie And Sweet Magic Are Not On It Thats A shame As Thats A Killer Double Sider .......

Regards C.

Social source share

• 5 years later...
On 1/12/2011 at 19:59, Gilly said:

Got one Dave and so should everyone else.

On 1/13/2011 at 05:06, DeeJay said:

Thanks Dave I for one appreciate the info Even though im on here pretty regularly i didnt know about the CD The Servicemen are in my top 3? for Brilliance and gevity of performance

DJ

On 1/12/2011 at 19:55, Dave Thorley said:

On 1/12/2011 at 22:55, Mark Bicknell said:

Hi Dave,

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Hi Mark,

You're absolutely correct concerning the status of the master tapes for 'Sweet Magic'/'Connie'.  I'm the lead singer on "Connie".  The flip side "Sweet Magic" was lead by James Mitchell, recorded April, 1966, @ the Bob Ross Studios,  Lelandway and Vine, Los Angeles, California.

My Regards - Larry Banks

• Helpful 2
Social source share

On 1/12/2011 at 19:59, Gilly said:

Got one Dave and so should everyone else.

On 1/13/2011 at 05:06, DeeJay said:

DJ

On 1/12/2011 at 19:55, Dave Thorley said:

On 1/12/2011 at 22:55, Mark Bicknell said:

Hi Dave,

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Hi Mark,

You're absolutely correct concerning the status of the master tapes for 'Sweet Magic'/'Connie'.  I'm the lead singer on "Connie".  The flip side "Sweet Magic" was lead by James Mitchell, recorded April, 1966, @ the Bob Ross Studios,  Lelandway and Vine, Los Angeles, California.

My Regards - Larry Banks

Social source share

1 hour ago, larrybanks1941 said:

Hi Mark,

My Regards - Larry Banks

Hi Larry

I was in touch with James Bailey up until recently, he though the rest of you had all passed so great to hear another of you is still alive.  James was in a nursing home but they moved him somewhere else and they wouldn't tell me where due to daft data protection laws so was unable to get the full story.

All the best

Chalky 

Social source share

Hi Chalky

That's terrific to hear James is still with us.  One of the best, great, talented, and what I call southern inspired and trained basses I've ever known.  When we found James he truly gave us a solid foundation for the kind of harmony we decided to use as a group identity.  Hopefully at a minumum they can get word to him that I'm still here.  In my Soul Source Profile is an e-mail address. I don't know if you're privy to that or not, but for communication purposes you're welcome to that. I've just joined Soul Source, so I'm a new hand, but I do have the full history of the Servicemen before and during our affiliation with Mr. Murrell, affectionately known as Hadley Madley. (smile).  Be well!

Truly the best

Larry

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Chalky

That's terrific to hear James is still with us.  One of the best, great, talented, and what I call southern inspired and trained basses I've ever known.  When we found James he truly gave us a solid foundation for the kind of harmony we decided to use as a group identity.  Hopefully at a minumum they can get word to him that I'm still here.  In my Soul Source Profile is an e-mail address. I don't know if you're privy to that or not, but for communication purposes you're welcome to that. I've just joined Soul Source, so I'm a new hand, but I do have the full history of the Servicemen before and during our affiliation with Mr. Murrell, affectionately known as Hadley Madley. (smile).  Be well!

Truly the best

Larry

Social source share

7 minutes ago, larrybanks1941 said:

Hi Chalky

Truly the best

Larry

Hi Larry

I'm not privy to your email but my email is chalky@karlwhite.me.uk

If you wish to contact me we can get the story down in an article, it would be great to get it out there.  Fabulous group with some quality recordings.

All the very best

Chalky

Social source share

7 hours ago, larrybanks1941 said:

Hi Mark,

My Regards - Larry Banks

Hi Larry.

Awesome tune. One of my favourites. Well pleased to have it in the collection.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Lionelonthevinyl said:

Same here frankie....great double sider.....connie the side for me.....not kissing ass but the servicemen never made a bad record.....great to see mr larry banks posting on here, amazing!......kind regards....Rob.

Sweet Magic shades it for me but Connie is brilliant, compliments the other side without being too 'samey' and together, the two tracks add up to one of the very best double-spiders ever.

Great to see you on here Larry. One of my favourite tracks in recent years is My Life Is No Better on the UK release - a really catchy dancer at The 100 Club in London ten years ago.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

14 hours ago, larrybanks1941 said:

Hi Chalky

Truly the best

Larry

Larry,  great to see you on here as part of Soul Source. Rest assured that your talents and those of the other Servicemen will always be loved and appreciated by the many thousands of soul music fans on here and right around the world. :yes:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

11 hours ago, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

Sweet Magic shades it for me but Connie is brilliant, compliments the other side without being too 'samey' and together, the two tracks add up to one of the very best double-spiders ever.

Great to see you on here Larry. One of my favourite tracks in recent years is My Life Is No Better on the UK release - a really catchy dancer at The 100 Club in London ten years ago.

16 hours ago, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

Hi Larry.

Awesome tune. One of my favourites. Well pleased to have it in the collection.

Hi Frankie

Glad to be on board.  Equally your appreciation  of "Sweet Magic/Connie" is heart felt.  James Mitchell was out front with "Sweet Magic" the same with "I Need A Helping Hand.

Best Regards,

Larry

• Helpful 1
Social source share

16 hours ago, Lionelonthevinyl said:

Same here frankie....great double sider.....connie the side for me.....not kissing ass but the servicemen never made a bad record.....great to see mr larry banks posting on here, amazing!......kind regards....Rob.

Hi Lion

Excuse my shortening your handle but fully appreciated.  Thanks for the compliment of "Connie/Sweet Magic".  Down the line there are special things and circumstances surrounding this recording in California. But this will all come later.  Again, much appreciated.

Best Regards

Larry

• Helpful 3
Social source share

1 hour ago, larrybanks1941 said:

Hi Lion

Excuse my shortening your handle but fully appreciated.  Thanks for the compliment of "Connie/Sweet Magic".  Down the line there are special things and circumstances surrounding this recording in California. But this will all come later.  Again, much appreciated.

Best Regards

Larry

Can't wait for some stories from you!.....myself like everyone else on here loves hearing tales from the original guys and girls who made the music we all love...............does anybody know how many copies of connie/sweet magic were pressed on the chartmaker label?......thank you....Rob

Social source share

5 hours ago, Steve L said:

Echo previous comments, great to hear from one of the legendary Servicemen - nice one Larry :thumbup:

Any tales/stories/info from those days will be greatly appreciated on here!!

Hi Steve L

French say "Merci", I say thank you.  Glad to be here.  Feel like home already.

Mucho Regards,

Larry

Social source share

5 hours ago, Russell Gilbert said:

Larry, it's a real privilege to be able to communicate with you! Wow, the marvel that is the Internet! You mention an "initial" pressing of 10,000 copies, and that most of those sold. That must have been incredible at the time. What of the second run - how many, and... did you get to a third?

Good point Russ....I have to say I'm surprised that 10k were pressed to start with, let alone 2nd & 3rd presses so very interesting......mind you I have absolutely no idea about  record runs, pressing plants etc!....kind regards...Rob

Social source share

15 hours ago, Russell Gilbert said:

Larry, it's a real privilege to be able to communicate with you! Wow  , the marvel that is the Internet! You mention an "initial" pressing of 10,000 copies, and that most of those sold. That must have been incredible at the time. What of the second run - how many, and... did you get to a third?

Hi Russ, the privilege is equally mine.  Believe me I marvel at the Internet and it's power to connect people all over the world.  Where can I start!  First of all the 10,000 figure was a quote from our manager/producer  Bill Mauzy.  Bill Mauzy was also a military man.  In the military much longer than the five (5) of us. It was Bill who finance the first pressing. We had minimal participation in the distribution, mostly we did promotions throughout the state. We were extremely well known throughout the state within the military.  But we also had a strong following on the college campuses and in general had been on many of the radio stations with very good air play.  We were in many of the record shops with request coming in constantly for more records.  Our main drawback was only that we were military and didn't have the freedom to move as the studio wanted us to.  And Russ,  you are spot on with a terrific sense of perception  that it was incredible at the time.  We were right smack dab in the middle of the Motown era with all it's talent and influence and stood toe to toe  with anyone.  I'll say this without speaking of how it all came about.  When you speak of Motown, the young arranger just starting out, who arranged the music for "Connie/Sweet Magic"  was a young H.B. Barnum. He after that arranged some early things by the O'Jays and then joined Motown doing many early Temptations, Ashford & Simpson and on and on.  Back to the presses.  As for the second or third pressings,  well they never came because of many of the reasons that often happens.  I can only say with no regrets, that we had our run and we had a lot of great times.  Many of with which I'm sure we'll touch on from time to time here on Soulsource.  After, all that was fifty (50) years ago.  I was 24 at the time of those recordings and I'm now seventy-five (75). And if we ever get into the time leading up to those recordings that really prepared us to experience the recordings.  I'm speaking of ages 22 and 23, I think you'll find it extroadinary.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

10 hours ago, Roburt said:

Larry, Ohio always had a thriving soul music (recording & live gigs) scene.

Did you ever go back there and get involved with any local guys in the music biz ?? 

Hi Roburt,

You're right on the money.  I come from a long line of entertainers. I was raised in Cleveland, Ohio during the time when Cleveland was a mecca for producing all sorts of entertainers.  Musicians, solo artist (as far as singers), singing groups, actors, of all classifications.  We have a Playhouse Square Area comprised of four fascilities that produces shows just as Broadway in New York. As a matter of fact we produce some shows here that then go on to Broadway in New York.  In short we have a very lively and thriving soul music here.  As a teenager I had a very popular Singing group call the "El'Deons".  A popular spanish name for that era. (smile) When came back here, I only sang in the church choir.  Except my old teenage group get together to do a high school reunion celebration.  It's amazing that we sound as good as we did fifteen years prior.  No I had graduated from Arizona State University, Degree in Environmentalism, I came back here, seduled down in my career, bought a house, raised a family, and now retired.  Thank you

Best regards

Larry

• Helpful 1
Social source share

To us guys & girls over here who love the now rare soul scene, it's fascinating hearing from you....you probably won't get it, understand it, as it was a job, a great time after your military service....but to the mad, possibly obsessive (definitely!!) people into rare soul we find it fascinating....thank you...Rob

Edited by Lionelonthevinyl
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Larry, I have always had a serious interest in the Cleveland music scene .... some years back, I interviewed Edwin Starr. Edwin was VERY bored with being asked questions about his 'Detroit years', so he wasn't usually too happy to do fan interviews. However, I said that my piece was to be about his 'Cleveland years' and so he got his manager to arrange the time for my interview before one of his performances @ the Jazz Cafe in London.

He looked back on his Cleveland years with great affection & got a real kick out of talking about those times ...

...... here's part of the article that resulted from our chat .....

Edwin was educated at the city’s East Technical High School. Whilst a student at this school his interest in singing developed. This isn’t surprising as the school seems to have been a spawning ground for male vocal groups at the time. The likes of the LaSalles & Carousels, who were both to go on to secure recording contracts, started up while the members were attending the school. Edwin also became a member of a group formed at the school, his group adopting the name of the FutureTones.

The group got its name by adapting the name of an established local group, the Metrotones. The Metrotones had started to come together as early as 1953 and they quickly built up a local following. Initially an all male outfit, the group's manager recruited Kim Tolliver to join them for a short period. The group's popularity led to them securing a recording contract and in 1958 they had enjoyed a release on the local Reserve label, “Please Come Back / Skitter Skatter”. The links between the two groups went further than just similar names though. They came from the same part of the city and the Metrotones leader, Sonny Turner, took Edwin under his wing and helped teach him to sing properly. The Reserve single was to prove to be the high point of the Metrotones career, however Sonny Turner was to go on to become lead singer with the Platters in the 60’s. Another member, Leonard Veal, ended up joining the Hesitations a few years later.

The FutureTones consisted of Edwin, John Berry, Parnell Burks, Richard Isom and Roosevelt Harris. The group performed at school shows and set about increasing their profile locally after Edwin graduated from school in 1956. They became ground breakers on the Cleveland scene as they soon became the first local outfit to be fully self contained, having their own instrumentalists as members. The musician members of the group were Russell Evans (guitar), Pinhead (trumpet), Julius Robertson (bass), Brownie (drummer) and Gus Hawkins (sax). The group would enter local talent contests such as those that were held at the Circle Ballroom. At these they would be up against other aspiring groups of young hopefuls trying to get onto the bottom rung of the ladder they hoped would eventually lead to recording success. Group names that Edwin recalls are the Sahibs, the Monarks and the Crescents.

The Sahibs had also been formed at a local school, this time though it had been Rawlings Junior High School. At the time one of their members was George Hendricks who was later to become a member of Way Out group, the Exceptional 3. A couple of years later Lou Ragland was to be co-opted into the group by its leader, James Dotson. Edwin acknowledges that the Sahib’s would almost always put on a fantastic performance, which his outfit had to strive to top. The FutureTones would usually perform the Metrotones song “Skitter Skatter” and they must have done it well as they won contests on 8 or 9 separate occasions. Edwin puts this down, in part, to his outfit’s better stage act as they were better dancers than most of their rivals. Edwin particularly remembers one contest though, at this the FutureTones and Sahibs were pitted against each other and their performances couldn’t be separated. As a result of this, the two groups were adjudged joint winners.

The leader of the Crescents was William Burrell, who adopted the professional name of Billy Wells. Billy went on to enjoy a long and successful recording career both with the Crescents and later with the Invaders and the Outer Realm. Billy relocated to Florida in the 60’s and here he cut a track, “This Heart, These Hands”, that was to go on to find favour with UK northern soul fans. The Monarks, Edwin recalls, would perform mostly El Dorados and Spaniels type tunes.

Other local outfits around at the time were the Fabulous Flames, Annuals and Cashmeres. The Fabulous Flames would enjoy releases in the late 50’s and early 60’s on Rex, Time and Baytone. Their line-up included Harvey Hall who would later go solo and record for Thomas Boddie’s Luau label. The group would alternate between having four and five members and so would always be taking on temporary members. One such member was Richard Fisher (Jessie’s brother) who was to relocate to New York in the sixties and join the Jive Five. The Annuals later secured a recording contract through their manager, Marty Conn, who started his own label, Marrconn Records. When the group broke up, members went on to join the Springers (Jeff Crutchfield) and Hesitations (Arthur Blakey). The Cashmeres, like the Sahib’s, never recorded in their own right, but the outfit’s Kenny Redd made it into the studio’s in the early 70’s when he was with Miystic Insight group True Movement.

The FutureTones, along with the other groups mentioned, would do the rounds of all the Cleveland live venues. The Mercury Ballroom, the Lucky Strike, Gleason’s, the Che Breau Club, the Rose Room at the Majestic Hotel, the Cedar Gardens, Playmor and Chatterbox Club. Joan Bias, who recorded for Way Out in 1963, recalls watching a really good FutureTones performance at the Cedar Gardens in the late 50’s. The Majestic Hotel was at that time employing two émigrés from down south, Eddie Kendricks and Paul Williams. Eddie was employed in the kitchen while Paul was a bell hop. The pair were using their positions at the hotel to good effect though. They would rehearse songs after work from around midnight to 3am along with the third member of their outfit, Kell Osbourne. They would also occasionally secure bookings to perform properly at the hotel. However the pair soon decided that Cleveland didn’t offer them the musical opportunities they were seeking and so they moved on to Detroit.

Eventually the FutureTones got to appear on a local TV show, the 'Gene Carroll Talent Show' and not long afterwards they went professional. The first engagement they secured after this was at the Chatterbox Club (which was located on Woodland near 55th Street) as support act to Billie Holliday. Edwin was totally in awe of Billie and although he got the opportunity to visit her dressing room to speak with her he doesn’t think that his attempts at conversation would have been too coherent. Further successful engagements followed and in 1959 the group secured a recording contract with Tress Records. A single, “ I Know / Rolling On” was released and made a few waves locally.

With a promising future in prospect for the group things appeared to be on the up for its members' but fate was to take a hand. In 1960 Edwin was drafted into the Army. Here his obvious talent as a singer was soon recognised and he got to perform for other servicemen at bases across the USA and Germany. Upon his discharge in 1962 he returned to Cleveland and attempted to pick up the reigns with the group again. In his absence, one of his old friends Demon (William Isom) had joined the group but they hadn’t been able to progress their career. With Edwin back in the fold they continued to perform locally but they had lost the impetus they had possessed a few years earlier. In 1963 Bill Doggett and his group swung through Cleveland and at the time Doggett was on the lookout for a new vocalist. Edwin caught his eye and so was offered the position.

He accepted, quit the FutureTones and left town to tour with his new outfit. Bill Doggett had a great influence on Edwin, especially with regard to his professional attitude to the business. He didn’t drink, always expected good discipline and insisted that those associated with him were accessible to the people they came in contact with. After a couple of years on the road with Doggett, Edwin began to develop his song writing skills and inspired by a James Bond movie he wrote ‘Agent OO Soul’ ............  

........... .  .  . . .   Does any of that fetch back memories for you ??  Who were the local singers / groups that you grew up admiring & listening to ??

I know some Cleveland folk (Lou Ragland, Bobby Wade, Sonny Turner, John Wilson, Cleveland Robinson, etc) plus others that started out in the music biz from Cleveland included Johnny Moore (Hornets & then the Drifters), Beloyd (Taylor), (Dennis) Cash, Laura Greene, Fabulous Ray, Cynthia Woodard, Larry Hancock, Dunn Pearson, Sammy Jones, Bill Spoon (William Bell), the guys out of the Dazz Band ... AND MORE ......    CHEERS           John

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Larry. Interesting to read that 10,000 copies of Sweet Magic/Connie were pressed up. Very few of these have survived judging from Popsike where about 10 copies have been auctioned in the last decade. For sure, more copies are tucked away in collections having been bought privately since the 1970's. I Need A Helping Hand evidently sold more on it's different releases but I wonder if it could have sold more had the Patheway release had the labels not been reversed? Was this release ever withdrawn due to the pressing flaw? Are You Angry, a storming track by any standards and an extreme rarity, is one of the best ever Northern Soul Records ever adopted by the Brits and latterday followers. The Servicemen produced at least four top tracks out of the very top drawer for us Northern Soulers and that puts you guys on a par with The Beatles, Stones, Four Tops, Temptations, royalty class in the music business.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

5 hours ago, Roburt said:

The FutureTones, along with the other groups mentioned, would do the rounds of all the Cleveland live venues. The Mercury Ballroom, the Lucky Strike, Gleason’s, the Che Breau Club, the Rose Room at the Majestic Hotel, the Cedar Gardens, Playmor and Chatterbox Club. Joan Bias, who recorded for Way Out in 1963, recalls watching a really good FutureTones performance at the Cedar Gardens in the late 50’s. The Majestic Hotel was at that time employing two émigrés from down south, Eddie Kendricks and Paul Williams. Eddie was employed in the kitchen while Paul was a bell hop. The pair were using their positions at the hotel to good effect though. They would rehearse songs after work from around midnight to 3am along with the third member of their outfit, Kell Osbourne. They would also occasionally secure bookings to perform properly at the hotel. However the pair soon decided that Cleveland didn’t offer them the musical opportunities they were seeking and so they moved on to Detroit.

There is no "U" in Kell's surname.  It was Kell who got Eddie and Paul their jobs at the Majestic and they performed reguarly as the Cavaliers.  It was Milton Jenkins who spotted their potential, became their manager and persuaded all three of them move to Detroit, promising better futures, he also gave them the name the Primes (and the Supremes their early name the Primettes).

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!