News: Jerry Ragovoy Has Died

Guest TONY ROUNCE

• Replies 29
  • Views 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I've just woken up to some very sad news that my Ace colleague Mick Patrick e-mailed to me in the small hours of this morning.

I'm sure that Mick won't mind if I reprint part of his e-mail here:

"I just spoke to (his wife) Bev Ragovoy, who told me that Jerry has died following a massive stroke. He did not suffer, and his twin daughters and Bev were with him.

On Sunday Jerry filmed an interview at the Bottom Line for the documentary film on Bert Berns being made by Bert's son Brett and daughter Cassie. He was taken ill in the taxi back to their hotel and instead went directly to hospital. He went into a coma. His vital signs seemed good, but he died suddenly last night.

The family will be holding a small private funeral, but are planning a bigger memorial service to celebrate Jerry's life, probably in September"...

It's an eternal regret of mine that I had to forego the opprtunity to meet and have lunch with Jerry last Summer, in London, for reasons that I now cannot even remember. Now I shall never get the chance....

He wrote or produced some of the greatest soul records of the 1960s, often both. Our owrld of music would have been a much lesser place to live without Jerry's massive contribution to it...

...May he truly rest in peace.

In total agreement .

Thank you for your involvement Mr Ragavoy .

RIP

Malc

Social source share

Blimey, he wrote and produced timeless music, especially liked the Garnet Mimm's tracks that he did.. and of course Lorraine Ellison...

there is a great story in the Kent CD on him about Jimmy Hendrix partying in his recording studio...

a great loss..

Mal.C.

Social source share

A real GIANT gone. How influential was Jerry Ragovoy?. I can't go very far into the records on my shelves without coming across this name. One of the most prolific writers/arrangers/producers of all time.

A very sad loss to us all.

R.I.P. Jerry. Up with the angels now. God Bless.

Kevin

Edited by Kev Moore
Social source share

Sad news.

His legacy of outstanding writing, productions and arrangements within our scene will never go unrecognised.

A musical genius who's contribution is second to none in my book.

Thank you Jerry. R.I.P.

Edited by eddiep
Social source share

Sad news indeed! His involvement in classics like, Erma Franklin's "Piece Of My Heart", Loraine Ellison's "Stay With Me", Garnet Mimms "Looking For You" and so many more, mark Jerry Ragovoy out as one of the greats in my book

But for me, Jerry's finest "pure" Soul moment has to be Carl Hall's "You Don't Know Nothing About Love" an awesome slice of soul music! (which he also cut on Loraine Ellison)

"Jerry Ragovoy".... one of those names ya keep coming across on great records!

RIP

steve

Social source share

Guest randy

Yes very sad news indeed.

Real shock to read about Jerry passing away in the Times yesterday, excellant article on Jerries career particualry his early song writing days, writing under the pseudomyms "Norman Margulies" and "Norman Meade" didn't know that. Also the reason the Loraine Ellison "Stay With Me" recording was so heavily orchestrated like a Phil Spector "Wall of Sound" production was that the orchestra was booked for Frank Sinatra who cancelled.Great insight into a genius and fantastic tunes that have been with us most of our lives.

RIP Jerry

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

Sad to hear this.

Thanks for all the music Mr. Ragovoy.

What a great contribution you made to so many people's lives.

Condolences to all family and friends.

RIP x

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

HI ALL.... SITTING HERE AND THINKING OF THE EARLY DAYS OF MY RECORD COLLECTING WHEN I WOULD LOOK FOR THE CREDITS ON OBSCURE RECORDS THAT I DID NOT NO. AND JERRY'S NAME WAS ONE THAT WOULD MAKE ME BUY THE RECORD WITHOUT EVEN HEARING IT, IN FACT I AM SURE, WE PROBABLY ALL DID THAT WHEN JUNKING FOR DUSTY'S, RIP JERRY YOU WORK HAS BEEN A INSPIRATION TO MANY RARE SOUL FANS IN THE UK. DAVE KILWORTH

Social source share

• 5 weeks later...
Guest ElaineLewis

Jerry wrote or produced most of The Silhouettes soul songs from the '60's, which I suppose is why the Silhouettes' soul songs are as great as they are. Sometimes his name is on the record label as N. Meade. He's responsible for the great soul songs of Howard Tate. Not enough people know who Jerry is, unfortunately.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!