Reggae Got Soul?

This is the third or fourth mp3 we have had to remove of yours recently, can you stop uploading mp3's. You more than most should know the site rules.

Refosoul wasn't working, what am I supposed to do, sing it for you?

Please remind me what the four are, I can remember one other.

Get off my back Chalky, you're becoming way to transparent.

Social source share

Refosoul wasn't working, what am I supposed to do, sing it for you?

Please remind me what the four are, I can remember one other.

Get off my back Chalky, you're becoming way to transparent.

You will have to wait till refosoul is working then won't you. Simple as that. Don't post anymore and there will be no need to say anything to you.

One was the one I replaced the mp3 with a you tube clip, another the John Bowie. As I said don't post anymore mp3's, the same goes for everyone, you aren't exempt. Anything else to say take it to PM and not on here.

Social source share

You will have to wait till refosoul is working then won't you. Simple as that. Don't post anymore and there will be no need to say anything to you.

One was the one I replaced the mp3 with a you tube clip, another the John Bowie. As I said don't post anymore mp3's, the same goes for everyone, you aren't exempt. Anything else to say take it to PM and not on here.

Now I was told that if refosoul wasn't working, it was ok to temporarily put up an mp3. Can you check?

Social source share

It's the first I've heard, removed mp3's everyday practically.

Chalky I wouldn't do it if I didn't think I'd been told that it was ok to do so, I don't try to annoy you just for the sake of it.

Unless they were only allowed in one particular section?

Social source share

Chalky I wouldn't do it if I didn't think I'd been told that it was ok to do so, I don't try to annoy you just for the sake of it.

Unless they were only allowed in one particular section?

They are allowed in sales always have been, then it should be a clip and not full file if I remember rightly.

I can assure you nothing would please me more than to come on here and have to do nothing but read the topics.

Social source share

should be just just a clip not the full file.

Can we get back back to the topic now please :thumbsup:

sorry didn't mean to go off topic, i was just curious, and as the subject was raised, i thought i'd ask, anyway, back on topic.....for what its worth, i love reggae (not so keen on ska) gregory isaacs being one of my favourite artists of all time, but, do i want to hear it at a soul nite / all nighter ?? no. not unless its in a seperate room, having said that, i've no objections to hearing it at a sunday afternoon chill out session, in answer to tony rounces comment "can janis joplin be soulful" well yes and no, i class her as a rock singer and i think she's brilliant, as a rock singer, but....there is one track by her that i covered up in the early 90's that had all the crossover boys coming up to the decks to see what it was when i played it out, now....thats got you all thinking

Social source share

Awesome Martin...

Funnily enough I had a stone mint UK Studio One copy of Moving Away for sale about a month ago - went totally unnoticed on here, no interest - got £70 for it on Ebay eventually. It's a hard record to find on UK, let alone a mint one.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

sorry didn't mean to go off topic, i was just curious, and as the subject was raised, i thought i'd ask, anyway, back on topic.....for what its worth, i love reggae (not so keen on ska) gregory isaacs being one of my favourite artists of all time, but, do i want to hear it at a soul nite / all nighter ?? no. not unless its in a seperate room, having said that, i've no objections to hearing it at a sunday afternoon chill out session, in answer to tony rounces comment "can janis joplin be soulful" well yes and no, i class her as a rock singer and i think she's brilliant, as a rock singer, but....there is one track by her that i covered up in the early 90's that had all the crossover boys coming up to the decks to see what it was when i played it out, now....thats got you all thinking

I think you will find that the answer to the question 'Can Janis Joplin be soulful' is acually still 'no, and no'

Screaming as hard as your lungs will allow is not 'being soulful'. She absolutely crucified those Jerry Ragovoy songs she did, and someone should have taken her outside and shot her for her mangling of 'Piece Of My Heart' She couldn't even resist oversinging a nice little song like 'Mercedes Benz'

When I think of the great singers of the 20th Century (of all races and colours) who don't get a tenth of the respect that the rock press afforded (and still affords) her it makes me want to puke

Anyone who comes on here defending her alleged 'soulfulness' ought to be thoroughly ashamed of themselves... ranting_1.gif

Social source share

like i said tony, i dont think for one minute she could be classed as a soul singer, but there is one track by her on which she doesn't scream her lungs out, its a nice little mid tempo floaty thing called "one night stand" tucked away on the posthumous "farewell song" album......soul singer no......rock singer yes

Social source share

Guest t.o.t.s.s.c

THE TRACK SEAN PLAYED AT STOKE IS AN ABSOLUTELY AMAZINGLY SOULFULL RECORD. RECORDED IN 2002 BY STEPHANIE MCKAY CALLED, MAKE ME OVER ITS A HUGE RECORD AT ALL REGGAE NIGHTS UP AND DOWN THE COUNTRY.IT HAS DOUBLE BARRELL BACKING TRACK BUT A TOTALLY DIFFERENT VOCAL. ITS ON YOUTUBE.JUST A FEW PROMO 45S EXIST PLUS A LARGER RUN OF 12" SEAN HAS A COUPLE OF THE 12S FOR SALE.

Social source share

I think you will find that the answer to the question 'Can Janis Joplin be soulful' is acually still 'no, and no'

Screaming as hard as your lungs will allow is not 'being soulful'. She absolutely crucified those Jerry Ragovoy songs she did, and someone should have taken her outside and shot her for her mangling of 'Piece Of My Heart' She couldn't even resist oversinging a nice little song like 'Mercedes Benz'

When I think of the great singers of the 20th Century (of all races and colours) who don't get a tenth of the respect that the rock press afforded (and still affords) her it makes me want to puke

Anyone who comes on here defending her alleged 'soulfulness' ought to be thoroughly ashamed of themselves... ranting_1.gif

Nah Tony, the people who should be ashamed of themselves are those that put forward an opinion as the difinitive answer. It's almost as though you're saying, ''we've had enough of that malarkey''. I happen to think she's soulful, I like the passion, the raw power and emotion she put into her singing, they're all qualities that move me, if you don't feel them, that's ok with me, I'm not going to try and convert you, but I'm also not going to think something different just because you say so :) Don't feel the need to put up a rant smiley, but please feel free to add some more yourself if you can be asked to reply, for greater emphasis :) You're probably better off, writing me off as soulless, it'll probably make you feel better and save your typing finger :hatsoff2:

Winnie :)

Social source share

Guest john s

THE TRACK SEAN PLAYED AT STOKE IS AN ABSOLUTELY AMAZINGLY SOULFULL RECORD. RECORDED IN 2002 BY STEPHANIE MCKAY CALLED, MAKE ME OVER ITS A HUGE RECORD AT ALL REGGAE NIGHTS UP AND DOWN THE COUNTRY.IT HAS DOUBLE BARRELL BACKING TRACK BUT A TOTALLY DIFFERENT VOCAL. ITS ON YOUTUBE.JUST A FEW PROMO 45S EXIST PLUS A LARGER RUN OF 12" SEAN HAS A COUPLE OF THE 12S FOR SALE.

It's produced by Geoff Barrow from Portishead (as I'm sure you know) - wish I'd grabbed a box of the 45s when I had the chance in 2002.

In fact, I wish I knew where my own copy was. :g:

Social source share

Nah Tony, the people who should be ashamed of themselves are those that put forward an opinion as the difinitive answer. It's almost as though you're saying, ''we've had enough of that malarkey''. I happen to think she's soulful, I like the passion, the raw power and emotion she put into her singing, they're all qualities that move me, if you don't feel them, that's ok with me, I'm not going to try and convert you, but I'm also not going to think something different just because you say so :) Don't feel the need to put up a rant smiley, but please feel free to add some more yourself if you can be asked to reply, for greater emphasis :) You're probably better off, writing me off as soulless, it'll probably make you feel better and save your typing finger :hatsoff2:

Winnie :)

I'm afraid that makes me soulless too then..........happen to think Janis Joplin is really soulful!!!. I consider her primarily to be a blues singer. Yes some tracks have a 'rock' edge to them when she goes off on one with the screeching but she sings with so much soul.............personal favourite is Cry Baby. Awesome!!!

Social source share

i dont think tony should be lambasted for not liking janis...i personaly think she's f...ing brilliant, i also think led zep, deep purple, hendrix, doors, are also brilliant, but in my opionion, there not soul, which is what tony said, and i agree with him....however, as i said earlier....check out "one night stand" by janis.... a lovely , lilting mid-tempo offering that in my opinion would (and did in the early 90's) stand up in the crossover rooms / scene, if we have to pidgeon hole music, then i would in my my opinion class janis as "soulful rock"...there you go, set myself up there, anyway.....its saturday night, im not going out... and i dont want the moderators to accuse me of going off topic....so i'm just opening a lovely bottle of vino tinto, rolling a rather fat jamaican woodbine...and just about to drop the needle on my ovo copy of gregory isaacs "extra classic".....can reggae be soulful.......you betcha sweet ass it can,

p.s. note to over zelous moderators.......gregory isaacs is a reggae artist......so, on topic

Edited by soulman1964
Social source share

i dont think tony should be lambasted for not liking janis...i personaly think she's f...ing brilliant, i also think led zep, deep purple, hendrix, doors, are also brilliant, but in my opionion, there not soul, which is what tony said, and i agree with him....however, as i said earlier....check out "one night stand" by janis.... a lovely , lilting mid-tempo offering that in my opinion would (and did in the early 90's) stand up in the crossover rooms / scene, if we have to pidgeon hole music, then i would in my my opinion class janis as "soulful rock"...there you go, set myself up there, anyway.....its saturday night, im not going out... and i dont want the moderators to accuse me of going off topic....so i'm just opening a lovely bottle of vino tinto, rolling a rather fat jamaican woodbine...and just about to drop the needle on my ovo copy of gregory isaacs "extra classic".....can reggae be soulful.......you betcha sweet ass it can,

He's hardly being lambasted is he, it's simply a difference of opinion, which if you read his post, implies if I or anyone else doesn't agree with him we should hang our heads?? The essence of soul source is to enjoy it and maybe get a bit of an education along the way, rubbishing someone's views, isn't in my personal opinion a great assist............

Social source share

He's hardly being lambasted is he, it's simply a difference of opinion, which if you read his post, implies if I or anyone else doesn't agree with him we should hang our heads?? The essence of soul source is to enjoy it and maybe get a bit of an education along the way, rubbishing someone's views, isn't in my personal opinion a great assist............

It's his opinion and he's entitled to express it whether you, me or anyone else agrees or disagrees with him.

Social source share

.. and i dont want the moderators to accuse me of going off topic....so i'm just opening a lovely bottle of vino tinto, rolling a rather fat jamaican woodbine...and just about to drop the needle on my ovo copy of gregory isaacs "extra classic".....can reggae be soulful.......you betcha sweet ass it can,

p.s. note to over zelous moderators.......gregory isaacs is a reggae artist......so, on topic

no need for those digs

if you got problems with moderation in other posts then post in the feedback forum

Social source share

It's his opinion and he's entitled to express it whether you, me or anyone else agrees or disagrees with him.

Of course Tony is entitled to give his opinion, didn't I say that in the previous post I made on the topic? But why should I hang my head in shame because I see things differently to him?

'' Nah Tony, the people who should be ashamed of themselves are those that put forward an opinion as the difinitive answer. It's almost as though you're saying, ''we've had enough of that malarkey''. I happen to think she's soulful, I like the passion, the raw power and emotion she put into her singing, they're all qualities that move me, if you don't feel them, that's ok with me, I'm not going to try and convert you, but I'm also not going to think something different just because you say so :) Don't feel the need to put up a rant smiley, but please feel free to add some more yourself if you can be asked to reply, for greater emphasis :) You're probably better off, writing me off as soulless, it'll probably make you feel better and save your typing finger'' :hatsoff2:

Social source share

well , as the angry smiley was aimed at my post, and i've been told off

the hang our heads comment was aimed at my post.. therefore aimed at me....knowing tony as i do, he was NOT rubbishing my views, and i did not take offence at his comments, i do enjoy the essance of soul source and i know tony does, i know for a fact, if he dont know the janis track i mentioned , he will make a point of hearing it before he comments on here again, i fully appreciate that sites like this need to be moderated, but for christs sake, at least wait until an arguement starts before big brother steps in....sorry, but the moderation on here over the past week has been over zealous to say the least

Social source share

Of course Tony is entitled to give his opinion, didn't I say that in the previous post I made on the topic? But why should I hang my head in shame because I see things differently to him?

It's only a flippant line Win, I doubt if he really means it, and just because he says it you're hardly going to take any notice, surely?

Social source share

well , as the angry smiley was aimed at my post, and i've been told off

the hang our heads comment was aimed at my post.. therefore aimed at me....knowing tony as i do, he was NOT rubbishing my views, and i did not take offence at his comments, i do enjoy the essance of soul source and i know tony does, i know for a fact, if he dont know the janis track i mentioned , he will make a point of hearing it before he comments on here again, i fully appreciate that sites like this need to be moderated, but for christs sake, at least wait until an arguement starts before big brother steps in....sorry, but the moderation on here over the past week has been over zealous to say the least

Right, just to clear things up, in post 37 I mentioned Janis Joplin as soulful IMO. Presuming Tony has read the whole thread, when he says ''Anyone............ashamed etc'', that is also aimed at me, hence me replying to him. I didn't rubbish his opinion I contested it, which I think I'm perfectly entitled to do as a member of SS

Social source share

At one of the Volks Tavern alldayers in Brighton, this would be about 1999 - 2000 I think, I played The Wailers - Whats New Pussycat in the middle of a Northern set.

Mind you, everyone was outside drinking and I was the only person indoors...it went down well :yes:

Social source share

It's only a flippant line Win, I doubt if he really means it, and just because he says it you're hardly going to take any notice, surely?

the hang your head in shame comment was aimed at me....ffs ive not taken offence, so why should anyone else get involved, as pete has quite rightly said it was only a rouncy flippant coment aimed at me......any way back on the topic of reggae.......just playing gregory isaacs.."mr cop"....should it be played in a main room at a soul night ????? discuss

Social source share

......... i fully appreciate that sites like this need to be moderated, but for christs sake, at least wait until an arguement starts before big brother steps in....sorry, but the moderation on here over the past week has been over zealous to say the least

sounds like to me you are getting mixed up with winston posting personal views and mods carrying out moderation

no one stepped in moderation wise till you started going on about past recent moderation and then i did

as i said if want to talk about moderation then do it in the feedback forum

Social source share

yeah, fair comment mike, maybe i interpereted it wrong, but rouncy had a bit of a flippant pop at my post, i'm a big boy, i dont need people jumping in before i can respond to the old bugger, however well intentioned they meant to be, but you're right i did mistake winnies post for a moderation as opposed to a personal view, and i appologise to winnie for that.......anyway, back on topic.....i'm listening to larry marshall "throw me corn" now......should it be played in the main room at a soul event............discuss

Social source share

glad were all friends again......just playing......lone ranger - love bump......now......main room soul ????.......discuss

Well they played Dillinger - Cocaine In My Brain at the Mecca according to another thread - though it did have the bass riff of Do It Any Way You Wanna I suppose

Social source share

Well they played Dillinger - Cocaine In My Brain at the Mecca according to another thread - though it did have the bass riff of Do It Any Way You Wanna I suppose

great reggae record......main room soul event ?....i personally dont think so, anyway.....just playing don carlos - just a passing glance now, love this thread...its making me get all my reggae stuff out.... anyway smiffy, stop wasting your time on here, and get your arse pronto over to barbados

Social source share

Colin 'Diamond' Curtis played it at the Mecca around the same time as Brent Smith & myself were playing it at Crookesmoor club in Sheffield.

Fantastic record.

Social source share

• 5 weeks later...

I was rather suprised to hear, and see folk dance to an out and out Reggae record in the main room @ the kings hall sat, esp considering the uproar this apparantly caused at the Cassino when Mr Winstanly played Al Capone, as detailed in Dave Shaw's excellent Cassino. I just wondered if were all that much more tollerant towards other genres nowadays? Personally I'll stick me neck out and say although I'm fond of everthing from Bluebeat to Dub and lovers, I dont feel this kinda record has any place at a Northern soul alnighter, but found it strange, watching those left on the dancefloor trying to skank, rather than offensive.

Probably because Al Capone was average and Stepanie McKay is a fantastic track, I have been raving about it for about 2 years, Filled the floor at the Wellingborough Alldayer as the last record as well.

QoFxx

Social source share

ha ha..can see this thread getting interesting..i better word this carefully dont wanna get wrong with anyone!! .there are nights ,my own included which play certain kinds of reggae and ska alongside soul and rnb,it works very well,the crowd love it and its advertised in advance,note i said CERTAIN kinds of reggae,even at go go children you wont hear,roots ,dub, dancehall,twotone or in fact anything after about 73 (although thats doesn't mean the dj's dont like it!!)....seans been finishing with that steph mckay(i think) vocal to double barrell for a while now and everytime ive seen him do it 'most' people have stayed on the floor ...i cant see the problem with the odd reggae tune at a soul nite...(told him after he had big balls to play it at kings hall though!!)..

....after all,l cant stand modern but have to put up with it at times in one room venues...and musically as far as arrangement and recording techniques despite being called soul,modern has no resemblance to the black american music i love, reggae(65-73) and early ska has more in common with60s rnb and 60s and mid 70s soul than modern does IMHO!!...infact studio one was 'the young sound of jamaica' nicked from motown as were the designs for the lps and a lot of the tunes they recorded were covers of soul tunes both comercially big hits and not...the producer coxsonne dodd would travel to the states and bring back loads of sevens to 'addapt'...the 'vocal harmony groups' of reggae like the wailers were all influenced by the impressions etc...its true i think to say if the states wasnt a short hop from the caribean and JA being in listening distance to the florida radio stations reggae would probably have never happened and jamaica would have just played a tuffer version of soca ...

...saying all this thought i dont think whole reggae sets are right for 'soul' nights...but then i also dont get annoyed when modern tunes are played...just have a well needed breather normally!

ofcouse im biased despite buying soul records before reggae i was a reggae dj with a sound system for years before i started playing soul out...although even at go go i dont play any reggae,leaving it upto john s. but yes...as toots said...reggae got soul!

keep on skanking oops i mean keep the faith!!

dean

ps the record sean played was out and out reggae...there are loads of jamaican soul/rnb tunes ofcourse plenty good enuff to play at soul nights...patsys version of blues in the night being one

Spot on Dean, as always, and what the hell is the beef. Sean played one track at the end of an hours set, its not like he played it for a full hour, get over it, I like Dean am not a fan of modern but endure full hour sets and don't complain, there is room for a little diversity on the scene, how many modern rooms now adays play quite a large amount of latin since when was that true northern soul some of it is more suited to a salsa bar. Stephanie McKay is an awesome track. Loved it ever since I first heard Kris Tebbutt play it at my charity do a couple of years ago.

Go Go Children, Deans do, in Bristol is one of my favourite nights in the country purely beacuse it is a little off the wall and pushes the bounderies a little :wink:

QoFxx

Social source share

Probably because Al Capone was average

You've got to be kidding. Forget how many times you've heard it, it's one of the greatest ska instrumentals ever, played by the greatest band ever (The Skatalites), a 100% bona fide classic and it pisses on that Double Barrel vocal rubbish every time

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!