What's Your Favourite All Nighter Record Ever By A White Artist

• 2 weeks later...

Has to be the IDLE FEW with that middle eight vocal section, possibly the greatest middle eight in Northern, full stop...'Every day, I've seen so many hurt, in so many ways...I have an answer, we must love one another...Not just the love of a sweetheartt we must love like a brother, I've seen the light and I know I am right...'...Very relevant in this time of Racial tension in this country and the hatred being stored up on both sides....

I also have a lot of time for what I believe to be the original version by P.J PROBY, but maybe I am wrong about that, PETE?....

Edited by rich chorley
Social source share

Has to be the IDLE FEW with that middle eight vocal section, possibly the greatest middle eight in Northern, full stop...'Every day, I've seen so many hurt, in so many ways...I have an answer, we must love one another...Not just the love of a sweetheartt we must love like a brother, I've seen the light and I know I am right...'...Very relevant in this time of Racial tension in this country and the hatred being stored up on both sides....

I also have a lot of time for what I believe to be the original version by P.J PROBY, but maybe I am wrong about that, PETE?....

Could well have been written for P.J. Proby Rich, wouldn't like to hazard a guess which came out first to be honest.

Social source share

Never cease to amaze me what yer find out about music at times....first time hearing.......not bad at all....Delxxxxx

Social source share

Guest lynnissohot

Hi everyone :wave:

i've just discoved this jem,

Perhaps not my favorite of all time but the flavour of the month at the moment.

Love Lynn xXx

Social source share

Hi everyone :wave:

i've just discoved this jem,

Perhaps not my favorite of all time but the flavour of the month at the moment.

Love Lynn xXx

Lynn, this got in the charts at the time BUT I'm always finding it in collections so it must have definitely been a big record at the time, charts or not. Great track.

Social source share

Guest lynnissohot

Hi Pete :wave:

Honestly never heard it played out before, and had no idea that it even charted (i asked my Pete and he said the same that he had never heard it played) with you all the way babe, a great record chart sound, blue eyed soul or not :thumbup:

love Lynn xXx

Edited by lynnissohot
Social source share

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Lynn, this got in the charts at the time BUT I'm always finding it in collections so it must have definitely been a big record at the time, charts or not. Great track.

Junior Campbell's "Hellelujah Freedom" and this track where both big sounds in your normal soul type clubs back in the early 70s.

P.S. The female backing singer on "H. F." was Doris Troy.

P.P.S. I didn't know untill now he was in Maralade.

Edited by davetay
Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

Well he is isn't he?

Probably missing the boat here, but apparently Sky Saxon (nutty lead singer of the Seeds - Pushin Too Hard etc) toured the Southern States doing the white RnB thing calling himself 'Little Richie' in the mid 60s (according to the California Dreaming book - which I sadly got knicked/willfully unreturned) - no definitive link of course.

Dusty Springfield - Live It Up - now THERE'S a great underplayed white track!

From what I remember of seeing pictures of them the Velours were hispanic rather than white - didn't they tour Britain as the Fantastics?

Doesn't get any better than Stronger Than Me - always had a major soft spot for Evie Sands too.

Dx

PS Bricks Broken Bottle and Sticks - total load of crap - there were SIX white demos at £1.50 each in a record shop round the corner from Sid Scarborough's in in Hull in the mid 80s (I guess about 85 - I left Hull Art College in 86) - anyway we all knew they were there and thought it SUCH garbage that they couldn't sell any of them - however wish I knew then what I know now about records coz the numerous second hand record shops in Hull (about 10) were stuffed with some great US 70s soul - plus of course Paul Madden in the covered market still had a lot of his really good stuff.

Edited by DaveNPete
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!