Eddie Ray - Glad I Found You

Guest crossoverjoy

Guest crossoverjoy

I have just started collecting again and obscure crossover is what I love best. I had the Eddie Ray years back so bought it again. However, the version I bought seems to be different to the one I knew and loved. The label design is different and this version seems to be lacking horns. are there two versions?

Cheers

John

Social source share

At a guess the one you may have wanted is the one without the address as the one with the address is a different mix, sort of softer if you know what I mean. Think they came out at the same time, but more than happy to be told otherwise if wrong. Its got some great southern style guitar work.

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

There was a seller on ebay who was selling the Address label version on a regular basis (i.e. a few boxes or maybe ???) claiming it to be the rarer version but they did seem to be selling a few dodgy records (allegedly) anyway sold mine & got f**k all as usual on ebay. There was just something about the records they were selling that now if I see them selling anything I wont touch them.

Cheers

Swifty :thumbsup:

Social source share

There was a seller on ebay who was selling the Address label version on a regular basis (i.e. a few boxes or maybe ???) claiming it to be the rarer version but they did seem to be selling a few dodgy records (allegedly) anyway sold mine & got f**k all as usual on ebay. There was just something about the records they were selling that now if I see them selling anything I wont touch them.

Cheers

Swifty :thumbsup:

all the Prix stock was/is genuine, straight from the label owner's garage.

great record, can't remember what pressing I have.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I have just started collecting again and obscure crossover is what I love best. I had the Eddie Ray years back so bought it again. However, the version I bought seems to be different to the one I knew and loved. The label design is different and this version seems to be lacking horns. are there two versions?

Cheers

John

yeah i bought this a few years ago thinking it was the one with the horns but got the one with the pronounced drums,was a bit dissapointed to be honest,wasnt aware that there were two different mixes

jason

Social source share

• 2 years later...

Still seems to be confusion regarding this fantastic double sider. Was raised by other persons on FB few days ago but wasn't followed up so will try here instead . Many say all releases of this track are genuine while others suspect one version might be more recently pressed/booted ... Not sure if anyone knows for sure??

I got this label design often described as first press no address on label. Producer Bill Moss added to list. Horns included on track

https://www.popsike.com/php/detaildatar.php?itemnr=270971317269

Other label design looks like this. Only seen this with address but someone said exist without address as well.  Also have text "Production without permission prohibited"  https://www.popsike.com/php/detaildatar.php?itemnr=370300666292

Time on the You Got me side is incorrect on this label version 3:05 ( same as Glad i Found you).   Should be about 2:25

https://www.popsike.com/php/detaildatar.php?itemnr=121174748302

Is it confirmed by anyone top one is the first press?  For me it sounds more logic that the version with the added horns/ producer name Bill Moss added and correct time on the You Got me Side is a second and updated release of the same track??  Have no idea but personally think version without Horns text "Production without permission prohibited" was the first press and some kind of test/demo press and it seems bit rarer.  That the version with Horns no address label corrected was the attempt for an official release at a similar time.  Just my theory though and could defo be wrong. any thoughts about this or others with more info? All input much appreciated  :thumbsup:               

Social source share

Also the one with no address and horns has Glad I Found You is the Official A-Side, whereas on the version without and the address, Glad I Found You is the B-side.

Cheers John somehow missed that.  Even more logic then they changed their mind and decided to plug Glad I Found you with horns instead IMHO

Social source share

I have a few copies of different pressings of ER, some of them I got years ago, 20+ years ago. From the labels there are two pressings, one by Musicol in Columbus - those pressings are with the address and the number 1438 at about 10 oclock on the label (GIFY side). The dead wax should have the 1438 and the word Musicol in script. According to the logs from Musicol these were mastered/pressed around March 1970. The other pressing, the one without the address, has the number 26277 below the A side on the left side of the label, it does not have the 1438 number. These would be pressed by Rite in Cincinnati and should have the 26277 in the dead wax and the word Rite. According to the info I have these would date from around May 1970.

It's possible that the Vegas boys took one or both of these versions and made a reproduction/boot/counterfeit/reissue of them.

It would be interesting to see if the copies you all have match the descriptions. I can't access my records in the next day or so but when I do I will post what I have and the provenance behind them.

Edited by George G
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

I have a few copies of different pressings of ER, some of them I got years ago, 20+ years ago. From the labels there are two pressings, one by Musicol in Columbus - those pressings are with the address and the number 1438 at about 10 oclock on the label (GIFY side). The dead wax should have the 1438 and the word Musicol in script. According to the logs from Musicol these were mastered/pressed around March 1970. The other pressing, the one without the address, has the number 26277 below the A side on the left side of the label, it does not have the 1438 number. These would be pressed by Rite in Cincinnati and should have the 26277 in the dead wax and the word Rite. According to the info I have these would date from around May 1970.

It's possible that the Vegas boys took one or both of these versions and made a reproduction/boot/counterfeit/reissue of them.

It would be interesting to see if the copies you all have match the descriptions. I can't access my records in the next day or so but when I do I will post what I have and the provenance behind them.

Sorry late back here George. Thanks for the much valid information. Mine match your description perfect regards to the Rite press. If both are dated back to the 70's more likely to be a reproduction as the Rite one has added horns and sounds different.  Maybe Bill Moss is the key man here somehow?  He may have liked the record but felt he could improve it further. .  

If this is he same Bill Moss production from the same year sounds really good as well  :)

Social source share

Bill Moss didn't own the Prix / Harmonic Sounds operation. He did own Capsoul, the other Columbus soul label, as well as the predecessor label, Holiday. When he cut the "number one and "Sock it to me" records he was a DJ on the Columbus R&B radio station as well as being a leading figure in Columbus' African-American community. I might be able to dig up some old interviews with him if it helps. This is probably not new info but Bill Moss who cut gospel records (with the Celestials) is a different guy.

I still haven't got my hands on the records.

Edited by George G
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Kinda confusing with someone mentioning a (new to me) third variation.  Anyways, the info George posted about the Musicol & Rite pressings is spot on.  They are both legit from 1970 & for whatever reason different mixes.  We may never know which of the two was first, unless one puts all their definitive faith in the March vs May pressing plant dates.  The Musicol press I have came out of vintage stock from a vintage store in Pennsylvania & it matches the Musicol press of the Joe king on Prix exactly which I pulled out of the Vegas (March->Giattino) stock when I tried to complete what I needed from that label not so long after it all surfaced.  I forget whether it came from Price or Beter to March or whatever but that doesn't really matter nowadays.  One of the label owners anyway.  Out of all that stock you'd have to be pretty retarded to bootleg that title out of all of them, so if they did bootleg a third version (which I've never seen) then that's real dumb & doesn't make sense considering there were more than enough legit copies in that stock to last at least a decade of redistribution (remember this started hitting collector circles back in about 2001 before it was even onsold).  Stuff like Ice Cold Love on Tammy (as an obvious example) which was cleared out well early on would have been an obvious better bootleg choice than some Eddie Ray which still had boxes of copies left.  Just doesn't make sense.        

Edited by Kris Holmes
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!