News: The Gospel According Too Dave Godin By Pete Lawson

Chalky

Guest Stuart Raith

I spent many hours on the drawing board doing the graphic design, Pete and I had loads of fun doing these mags. Stan from Preston had agreed to do the artwork but Pete couldn't wait for him - so I got the job. I got paid a Magnificents demo, a Bill Lucas and some of the paper labels from Godin's record labels: Soul City, Soul Deep, Right On and the unreleased 444. All issue number one. Have them framed ;-) Thanks Pete, it was a pleasure!

Social source share

I spent many hours on the drawing board doing the graphic design, Pete and I had loads of fun doing these mags. Stan from Preston had agreed to do the artwork but Pete couldn't wait for him - so I got the job. I got paid a Magnificents demo, a Bill Lucas and some of the paper labels from Godin's record labels: Soul City, Soul Deep, Right On and the unreleased 444. All issue number one. Have them framed ;-) Thanks Pete, it was a pleasure!

it sure was a pleasure Stu

Social source share

Bought both issues back in the day, quality from a much missed top lad.

Ta for these Chalky, they work nicely on the Kindle ap on my iPad.

Can you imagine Pete on here :-)

RIP Mr Lawson.

Social source share

Don't think anything has changed Steve, I bet Pete was saying the same when he wrote the mags :lol:

The only reason I did these was because I was missing pages somehow in two of my issues. So thnaks to two mates I borrowed copies and I finished upm scanning not just the missing pages but the lot. Here is the result. Glad to see many enjoying them.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Brett F

Yes, very good read, a man with passion and opinions...and then some, but it's all about opinions, some things i agreed with some i didn't, but it's a piece written within a timeline ( i would have been around 25/26 and too young and crazed to have a valid opinion !!) But none the less a fascinating read.

Social source share

I remember Pete was going to move into a flat in my Nans house, 'that handsome peter' she used to say and then one Sunday she clocked him outside the house acting 'strange' during his wearing your jeans inside out phase. haha kinda of soured the deal for her. rip Pete.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Pete will always be missed on the soul scene, he was a 'True' soul man, a font of knowledge, genuine passion and someone to remember with laughter and respect.

Social source share

• 6 months later...

part homage to Dave Godin, part Pete's view of the scene

Towards the end of the 80's one of the Rare/Northern Soul Scene's most colourful characters, Pete Lawson, published two issues of his magazine "The Gospel According To Dave Godin". Part homage to Dave Godin, part Pete's vi...

Click to view this soul article info in full

Thanks Chalky

. Pete was a star, looking forward to his take on everything

Ste

• Helpful 1
Social source share

For anyone interested in Pete's magazines, John Kingan sent me a tape recording Pete made of him interviewing Dave Godin.  The first hour and a bit is what appeared in the first issue.  The rest I guess was to be the "to be continued" in a further issue.

If you want to listen it is on my mixcloud page:

The Gospel According To Dave Godin

Peter could not believe it when Dave Godin travelled up to his house and knocked on his door!

The recording is a valuable piece of history.

I bought the magazine when it first came out for sale.

Thanks for putting out this recording so we can hear it.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!