Etta James - Can't Seem To Shake It

Bigsoulman

• Replies 28
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

• 1 year later...

WOW!  Right up my alley!  Classic Chicago 1964!  It could have been a fantastic 1964 Chicago recording.  What a well-written song!  It's very sweet.  It's neither made for the gruff and Bluesy Etta James lead, nor the fairly weak group behind her.  And the instrumental is weak, too, where are the drums, percussion?  Strings have the right idea, in the main, but go the wrong way in a couple places.  The call-response of the lead and coordination with the background group could be better.  The background group should be much stronger.  The arranger didn't emphasize the nice changes correctly. 

Too bad.  I can hear, in my mind's ear, a fabulous recording.  It would have been one of my favourite styles.  And if done correctly, would have resulted in one of my all-time favourite recordings.

Etta did okay with it.  But, it would have been a lot better, if it had been recorded at Universal Sound Studios, (1) produced by Calvin Carter , arranged by Riley Hampton, and sung by Barbara Green backed by The Dells; or, (2), it would also have worked well in 1965, produced by Carl Davis, arranged by Sonny Sanders, and sung by Mary Wells, backed by Billy Butler and The Chanters.  Or (3), I'd even have settled for Leo Austell producing, Burgess Gardner arranging and Betty Everett on lead, with The Daylighters backing her up!

Who wrote that terrific song, and what company originally published it?

Edited by RobbK
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

WOW!  Right up my alley!  Classic Chicago 1964!  It could have been a fantastic 1964 Chicago recording.  What a well-written song!  It's very sweet.  It's neither made for the gruff and Bluesy Etta James lead, nor the fairly weak group behind her.  And the instrumental is weak, too, where are the drums, percussion?  Strings have the right idea, in the main, but go the wrong way in a couple places.  The call-response of the lead and coordination with the background group could be better.  The background group should be much stronger.  The arranger didn't emphasize the nice changes correctly. 

Too bad.  I can hear, in my mind's ear, a fabulous recording.  It would have been one of my favourite styles.  And if done correctly, would have resulted in one of my all-time favourite recordings.

Etta did okay with it.  But, it would have been a lot better, if it had been recorded at Universal Sound Studios, (1) produced by Calvin Carter , arranged by Riley Hampton, and sung by Barbara Green backed by The Dells; or, (2), it would also have worked well in 1965, produced by Carl Davis, arranged by Sonny Sanders, and sung by Mary Wells, backed by Billy Butler and The Chanters.  Or (3), I'd even have settled for Leo Austell producing, Burgess Gardner arranging and Betty Everett on lead, with The Daylighters backing her up!

Who wrote that terrific song, and what company originally published it?

There are no writer credits given on the CD, maybe Ady will enlighten us?

I'm in the "I Like It Just The Way It Is" club.

Social source share

But, it would have been a lot better, if it had been recorded at Universal Sound Studios, (1) produced by Calvin Carter , arranged by Riley Hampton, and sung by Barbara Green backed by The Dells; or, (2), it would also have worked well in 1965, produced by Carl Davis, arranged by Sonny Sanders, and sung by Mary Wells, backed by Billy Butler and The Chanters.  

To be fair, either of those options would improve most songs. :)

I love it as it is. It just makes me want to dance!

Social source share

This song was discussed in the "Modern Soul category.  Is this a recording that was made after 1979?

Was Ed Townsend the producer?  Maybe he was the writer, or co-writer?  So, then it WASN'T recorded during Etta's time with Argo/Cadet?

The liner notes have the session taking place in October,1964 which sounds about right.

Billy Davis is listed as the producer.

Social source share

The liner notes have the session taking place in October,1964 which sounds about right.

Billy Davis is listed as the producer.

Then it WAS an Argo master.  I wonder why it wasn't released by Chess in some form?  It must have been arranged by Phil Wright or Riley Hampton (with less possibility (but some) that it was Johnnie Pate (who still was a free-lancer at that time).  With Billy Davis producing, and the song not being an old, "standard" song, the writers were very likely from Billy Davis' Chevis Music writing staff (including, Davis, himself, Carl Smith, William McKinley, Leonard Caston, Gerald Sims, Tony Clarke, Raynard Miner, Ty Hunter, and Maurice McAllister, among others).

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!