Sugar - Extremely Brave Rec

malayka

• Replies 11
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Malayka

Don't know about that specific record but I think they may be the same group as on Rocky Road & Carousel labels.

The Carousel 45 is a Northern thing while the Rocky Road is in the funk vein. These might give your more leads and info

Regards

Dave Halsall

Social source share

Chicago, not sure of the year and quite tough to find. Only had one copy and sold it for £10 around 10 yrs ago

Cheers Darren

hmmm..this would not have been of interest to anyone 10 years ago, i guess...

just bought a copy last week when i was in tokyo for 38usd, which i think is a real bargain....

still, the band seems to be a mistery...?

m.

Edited by malayka
Social source share

Sorry I can't add too much, picked this up about ten years ago since I collect funk.

But, something I found interesting is it shares a similar label design to Andrew Brown "You Made Me Suffer" which is on Brave, Sugar is on Extremely Brave. Checking the scans, both records have catalogue numbers starting BOS. So there's a connection there.

https://www.popsike.com/FUNK45SuGaRTAKINCARE-OF-YOUR-MAIN-MANLISTEN/130063982391.html

https://www.popsike.com/Funk-45-ANDREW-BROWN-You-Made-Me-Suffer-on-Brave/260540419482.html

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Don't know anything about the group but the record itself was always an inexpensive one in funk circles 10+ years back and pretty sure it was one Moerer had stock of. Not a strong club type sound it was one of those 'warm up' sort of tunes. Probably sounds good now - haven't heard it for years.

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Brave and Extremely Brave were the same label, both vanity imprints of Hayden Thompson's Brave Studio in Harvey, Illinois. Pretty sure Sugar were from Maywood, Illinois. Lead singer Ross Young has a later solo 45 on Cash entitled "Super Woman" and member Samuel Dupre's name can be found on a few marginal releases from the late 70s.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!