Willie Pickett - Info On The Eastern And Soul Pot Releases Please

eddiep

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any details about Willie Pickett and his Eastern / Soul Pot releases of "On The Stage Of Life" please?

Why was there two label issues?

They have similar style logo's and font so did the label change it's name at some point? Or was one a subsidery of another?

And what came first....... Eastern or Soul Pot?

Any help appreciated / info welcome :thumbsup:

Cheers

Eddie

Social source share

Don't know the answer Eddie but have noticed quite a few on ebay recently ? and 1 seller has had each label up for sale in his ads at the same time on a couple of occasions so maybe a few have turned up. Brilliant record though. :thumbsup:

Swifty :thumbsup:

Indeed mate. One of my current fav's.

Need some info though on this.

Anyone ????

Cheers,

Eddie

Social source share

They're two different takes. I prefer the Eastern version, but I assume the Soul Pot version came out first. I've also heard that there's a third release?

Eastern seems to be a bit rarer, but Funkyou on eBay seems to be turning em out regular these days.

I also prefer the Eastern take, but don't know which was first

Thanks guys ....

A 3rd release! :ohmy:

Anyone have any info on that? Never heard of or seen that one!

I think Steve Plumb on here assumed the Soul Pot was the 1st release... but only due to the Eastern release having "A Soul Pot Production" (or something like that) on it...

Someone must know something about these labels. We have the most learned people of the soul genre on here.

Come on peoples...don't be shy. Share the love  :yes:

:thumbsup:

Social source share

just checked and the instrumental on eastern is the longer version thats on soul pot so maybe soul pot 1st and maybe they wernt happy  with the mix and shorterned/chopped it a bit.for the eastern 45.just a theory mind

the eastern copy has archer scratched in the matrix ...sold the soul pot copy so cant comment on that now

Edited by dave pinch
Social source share

just checked and the instrumental on eastern is the longer version thats on soul pot so maybe soul pot 1st and maybe they wernt happy  with the mix and shorterned/chopped it a bit.for the eastern 45.just a theory mind

the eastern copy has archer scratched in the matrix ...sold the soul pot copy so cant comment on that now

Uncanny how both labels are word for word apart from the obvious label names ??

Social source share

Have to say I am baffled by the "Soul POT" thing.

I know the Eastern label says "Soul Pot" at the bottom. But could this be a typo maybe?

The other version also says  "Soul Pot" at the bottom, but if you look at Popsike, several copies shown have a black blob where the "S" should be on "Spot". More importantly, the massive writing at the top of the label surely says "SoulSpot" (even if "Soul" "S" "Pot").

Very weird. Why is this "Soul" "Pot" and not "Soul Spot"?  :g:

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

I know the Eastern label says "Soul Pot" at the bottom. But could this be a typo maybe?

The other version also says  "Soul Pot" at the bottom, but if you look at Popsike, several copies shown have a black blob where the "S" should be on "Spot". More importantly, the massive writing at the top of the label surely says "SoulSpot" (even if "Soul" "S" "Pot").

Cheers

Richard

I always thought it was Soul Spot.

Social source share

Eastern seems to be a bit rarer, but Funkyou on eBay seems to be turning em out regular these days.

I also prefer the Eastern take, but don't know which was first

Soul Spot 1st and the one I prefer - the only difference I can hear is a slightly quicker more danceable feel - Eastern was the more elusive one and a real chin - stroker but as you say the ebay seller seems to have a large batch of each dripping through in a Barbara St Clair fashion..

Social source share

Cheers

Richard

I would say that the label is Soul Pot and NOT Soul Spot. The letter(s) between the Words Soul and Pot are actually a combination of the S -and the P which look like the letter S but if you look at it more closely is actually an S and a P.

Just and an idea........There was another Eastern label ( Juggy Murray owned) albeit out of New York and probably not that active there might of been a clash, but more closer to home is the logo on the Eastern issue it is very similar to the 70s Eastbound logo which was active in Michigan! So a law suit may well of made Willie reissue on Soul Pot.....Or it could be the other way round and was using the E logo and play on similar name to Eastbound ?................I love a label mystery!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

• 9 months later...

I would say that the label is Soul Pot and NOT Soul Spot. The letter(s) between the Words Soul and Pot are actually a combination of the S -and the P which look like the letter S but if you look at it more closely is actually an S and a P.

Just and an idea........There was another Eastern label ( Juggy Murray owned) albeit out of New York and probably not that active there might of been a clash, but more closer to home is the logo on the Eastern issue it is very similar to the 70s Eastbound logo which was active in Michigan! So a law suit may well of made Willie reissue on Soul Pot.....Or it could be the other way round and was using the E logo and play on similar name to Eastbound ?................I love a label mystery!

It took me a while to get what you were saying reforee but they have morphed the S&P together to format a logo.
Social source share

Respect to Chris Anderton for being the first person i ever heard play this back in the 90's. We all wanted a copy but it was impossible.......until now.

Always thought of this as Richard Searling play and thought he played this maybe in the late 80's or maybe 1990.

For what it's worth I always have it as a Soul Sam spin, but that was maybe later?

Social source share

• 9 years later...
On 06/12/2013 at 14:48, Dave Pinch said:

Dave

I know this is an old thread but just had a quick look at the scans on Discogs of Eastern and Soul Pot.

The instrumental on Soul Pot is 3:59 - the same duration as the vocal.

The scans of the Eastern release show the shorter vocal at 3:45 but a longer instrumental at 4:20.

https://www.discogs.com/release/3308831-Willie-Pickett-On-The-Stage-Of-Life-

Is it probable there are two Eastern copies with different length instrumentals on the flips? 🤔

Cheers

Richard

• Thanks 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!