Strange Lyrics

Just listening to a mp 3 in the car and a Wilson Picket tune started playing called I found a true love. Then in one of the verses he sings about calling his true love magnolia. It just sounded strange .Got me thinking about what other records are out there with strange comments. So let's see what you can come up with. 

Steve

Social source share

The Crow - Your Autumn of Tomorrow

'the length of your hair is the extent of your love'

'the expression of your desire, the grass upon my fire'

or something like that.

Basically all of that song. Love it though.

Edited by Tezza
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Contours, 'First I Look at the Purse' - "She can be quivering with a rash, long as she got some cash"(right at the end of the track).

Huh???  I've always heard that line quite clearly as "She can be COVERED with a rash"-which makes a LOT more sense.  I bought that record new, and I must have listened to it several 1000 times in the 50 years I've had it (plus the 5-6 times I heard it before buying it), and it ALWAYS sounded like "covered". 

Not trying to "blow my own horn" here, but just using simple logic and scientific method: I would trust my own ears here versus those of a Brit, as I am much more used to hearing and understanding US Midwestern "Ghetto speech (so-called "Ebonics") used in 1965, as I was living in South Chicago (half African-American at that time) at the time that song was recorded (only a few streets away from that district's boundary with The completely Black South Side). And, I worked on The South Side, and ALL my friends lived there.  And, before we moved there in 1959, we visited family there for long periods each summer and during the Christmas 2-weeks since 1949.  So, I understand that speech immediately and instinctively. 

I would be interested to read your comments after listening to it one more time, if you could be so kind as to humour this old, senile gaffer (whose memory sometimes changes what he's "KNOWN" all his life (the old "they changed things while I wasn't looking" syndrome). 

Social source share

Fair comments both, I stand corrected! Reading Robb's correction I still thought it an off the wall lyric, but with Rodd's additional explanation of what a 'rash' meant then it's not so weird after all!

Will dig out a few other lyrics if I can remember the tracks, and fingers crossed they'll be accurate!

best

Sean

Social source share

Guest Dave Ward

Exciters "Blowing up my Mind" - again, towards the end of the record; "It's almost like eating beans by the pound, then wrapping up in adhesive tape from the waist down".

Peas

Social source share

Contours, 'First I Look at the Purse' - "She can be quivering with a rash, long as she got some cash"(right at the end of the track).

Think it says she could be coverd in a rash ??

She can waddle like a duck as long as she's willing to f@&k?

Social source share

The track that always makes me smile for poor lyrics is "Ed Cooper - Just Like The Hero" An Interesting concept for lyrical content to start with, but when he sings "Napoleon was in love with Josephine, and oh baby, for her love he gave up everything" Now ignoring the contentious view, certainly in the U.K. that Napoleon was a "hero", did he really give up everything for Josephine :g: I suppose "Josephine" does rhyme to an extent with "everything"

Des

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!