2014 Record Store Day Releases

Guest SoulBroRecs

Just a heads up - anyone out and about in London tomorrow looking for RSD 2014 releases, here's what we have in the soul/jazz/funk/reggae genres

See this link > https://www.soulbrother.com/product-category/record-store-day-2014/

(if you're looking for non soul stuff we have some of that too here...One Direction 7" anyone? No?  :facepalm: )

We're open from 9am and we're at Soul Brother records, 1 Keswick Road, East Putney, London, SW15 2HL

(Loads of other good 45s, LPs, 12s and CDs in store too)

10171639_10152101620857685_9212261019838

Edited by SoulBroRecs
Social source share

Berwick Street in London is promoting itself as the "Golden Mile of Vinyl" with Sister Ray, Reckless, Music and Video Exchange all in Berwick St itself, and Sounds of The Universe, Phonica and BM Soho all very close by too. Obviously not the only record stores in London, just a handy concentration of them.

The record shops themselves, but also a vinyl fair, street food market and all pretty easy to get to in terms of central London.

Runs from 12 - 7pm.

Berwickstreetlondon.co.uk

Enjoy the day wherever you go!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

daptone pass on

Record Store Day : https://www.recordstoreday.com is this Saturday and we will have two releases out for the day;
Charles Bradley's new 12-inch "I Hope You Find (The Good Life)" and a reissue of the classic debut from Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings' Dap-Dippin'. The Screaming Eagle of Soul's IHYFTGL was produced by Mr. Tom Brenneck and features the Menahan Street Band and the Sha La Das. Stream the song on ourSoundcloud :

and Youtube channel :

Dap-Dippin' is remastered from the original tapes and features a previously unreleased song, "Will You Be True?" featuring Lee Fields. Both of these Record Store Day editions will limited to 2,000 copies. If you are in NYC on Saturday, be sure to stop by Rough Trade Records in Brooklyn to see members of the Dap-Kings DJing some 45s. The store opens at noon so get there early!Support your local, independent record store this Saturday.
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

how did this all go for everyone this year ?

on here was a bit of a low key thing

only a few passing on info (thanks though!)

how was it for you all out there in the real world

be it punters, shop type people, label involved types....?

a good one ?

Social source share

A waste of time for me and i visted three shops. More Doris day and two tone records than all of the black music put together. It's over hyped !! Last year's rsd releases are still available on the net so i am waiting till Saturday to order the few i would like. I did travel 12 miles a shame that there is no record shops here there has always been a soul -reggae outlet until recently.

Social source share

Early indications are that the James Fountain/Montclairs sold out in many places by around 11.00am. I certainly had quite a few 'panic' calls and messages on Saturday saying that it was sold out. However, I've just been informed that we have 90 left for which the participating record stores are free to order up until next week I believe.

It's got too hypey for me to be fair but it's probably great for the stores. I just read that Paul Weller's pulling out of next year though as his single was actually on e-bay the day before!

Ian D  :D

Social source share

how did this all go for everyone this year ?

on here was a bit of a low key thing

only a few passing on info (thanks though!)

how was it for you all out there in the real world

be it punters, shop type people, label involved types....?

a good one ?

Me and my son made a day of it in Manchester , although we did spend nearly 2 hours queuing up outside Piccadilly records for Gil Scott heron - nothing new, oasis 12" for my son, and an ep by a mod group called the stripes ,over to beatin rhythm then and got Gregory porter- revisited ,

Wanted to get the Charles bradly 12" - no chance, I think daptone cocked up a bit with distribution also wanted the Paul weller release, that was on eBay an hour before it was officially released, so something dodgy going on with that one, think he may have commented about it on his website.

Anyway we went for 8 records and got 4 so not bad I suppose . Phil

Social source share

I posted pics in the gallery of Bewick Street, didn't get anything I wanted, Action Box set was sold out, so plumed for the Eccentric Soul LP on the Dynamic label, which I love... both the Soul Brother 45's were gone as well, that was at soul jazz records, I couldn't be bothered with the others as there were cues to go in round the bloc at one point.. it was a bun fight for sure..

Otherwise It was a good day, nice to go into town as well, have a coffee in a trendy bar, buy some cloths....noticed HMV on Oxford street was gone as well... nothing on that side now with the other record shops on Hanaway street gone as well :(

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

I wonder how many people are buying record shop day releases as a investment as opposed to buying them because they really like them. A bit like cup final tickets the real supporters seem to miss out ?

Your thoughts?

Dave

Edited by Louise
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!