Black Wings Has My Angel - Hayes Cotton - Resist What's Your View?

Mrtag

Just been listening to this on Tim's site! He has a copy of "Black Wings Has My Angel" as opposed to "Black Wings Have My Angel" same release number but a different take no harmonica in the first part of the record sounds a bit bland to my ears prefer the proper have my angels! But must be a Rare Beast!! whats your view?

Listen to has here; https://www.raresoulvinyl.co.uk/auctions/#572       Goldteak & Pentagrid (BMI)

Listen to have here;https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrVAO-bvt0w    Pentagrid Music(BMI)

Never knew there were two takes until I heard this on Tim's site today! Is this common Knowledge? found 1 copy on popsike of "Has" as opposed to 6 copies of  "Have"

I guess you learn something new every day!

Edited by mrtag
Social source share

Bloody hell, that one on Tim's auction is very similar to the first version I ever heard which was very fast but basically the same. I was told that was an acetate only cut so I never tried to find it because I never liked the other cut. 

You learn something every day.

I much prefer the one on Tim's auction, it's far more "northern" to my ears and just needs pitching up +1 or +2 

I just might have a bid myself.

Social source share

Bloody hell, that one on Tim's auction is very similar to the first version I ever heard which was very fast but basically the same. I was told that was an acetate only cut so I never tried to find it because I never liked the other cut. 

You learn something every day.

I much prefer the one on Tim's auction, it's far more "northern" to my ears and just needs pitching up +1 or +2 

I just might have a bid myself.

Hi Phil, I didnt say I wouldn't have a bid just said my preference was the "Have" Version and he does actually sing "has" & "have" on the 2 versions!! Mind you I am supposed to be selling not buying! Lol Ps I think Tim could have a winner on his hands with this one got to be Raaaaarrrre!

Edited by mrtag
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I wonder if the flip side is a different cut too, that would be interesting. TIM!!!!

Now that would be interesting!! be very nice if it was the same take as the "Claire" release and would sure hike the value up even more!

Social source share

HI Grant, Whats your view on the "A" side mate? :g: Hope you're keeping well.  :thumbsup:   Atb John.

all good john not seen u for a while probably coz I haven't been to many soul nites lately. prefer the resist a side, seems a bit lacking t'other one on Anglo

• Helpful 1
Social source share

. prefer the resist a side, seems a bit lacking t'other one on Anglo

My views exactly, I couldn't quite figure the difference at first then I played my copy and it clicked !! no harmonica Doh! but obviously a rare version!!  this has been one of my favourite tunes for a few years and I never knew there was another take !! and looking at the feedback I guess I wasn't on my own!! I have spoken with a few of the R'n'B boys who had this early doors and none of them knew of this other version so it is obviously a rare Item. So good luck to Tim with the auction!

Social source share

Always thought the normal Resist version badly lacked something - the production seems a bit weak - and imo this version gives it that missing bit of beefing up which he achieved on the unreleased garagey type version that Pomonkey has, and on the Claire version of 'i'll be waiting'.

I wouldn't want the normal Resist versionbut I'd buy this.

I guess he was one of those artists like Cleveland Robinson or Earl Conelly who somehow had a fair amount of autonomy to experiment with production, re-makes etc.

the Claire version of 'Love plays funny fames' has terrible production with no drums but I had a 10" acetate of the record which was the other way round, perfect production on 'love plays...' but no drums on 'I'll be waiting'.

Edited by pow wow mik
Social source share

Hi John. Have to agree with you, the more known take is superior. Either way, it's one of those tunes you either love or hate,

me, well iv'e never decided even though it's got a good dance beat.

Tim should do well, it's a collectors item alright.

Best

Neil

Social source share

Hi John. Have to agree with you, the more known take is superior. Either way, it's one of those tunes you either love or hate,

me, well iv'e never decided even though it's got a good dance beat.

Tim should do well, it's a collectors item alright.

Best

Neil

Hi Neil, I know what you mean a bit of a "Marmite" record but I've always loved it Especially when "H" bought me it for a birthday present but I'm not sure about this other take! sure is different! mind you would deffo get accused of C**k swinging with both in yer box! :lol: lol

Social source share

Yes, awesome record!! Must be a miss print also.......it would be grammatically incorrect to say "Black Wings Has My Angel" unless you were Ali G and then it would be "Black Wings Has My Angel, init" :thumbsup: 

Anyone got a scan of both the Have and Has ?

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Yes, awesome record!! Must be a miss print also.......it would be grammatically incorrect to say "Black Wings Has My Angel" unless you were Ali G and then it would be "Black Wings Has My Angel, init" :thumbsup: 

The book and the film is "Has",  unrelated but thought I'd share.

Social source share

Look at the links in the first box Steve both in there :thumbsup:

Social source share

Daft question, if they are two different "takes" and titles, how come they are both R-504 ?

This is what I was trying to find out Neil no real difference in labels other than the "Pentagrid music" on "Have" and "Goldteak & Pentagrid" on "Has" and how come nobody seems to know anything about the "Has" version after all the Years that "Black Wings Have My Angel" Has been around that was the whole point of posting this besides trying to get a view on who liked which version best I thought someone on S/S would have maybe known of both versions and maybe shed some light onto how they came about!! Atb John.

Social source share

The book and the film is "Has", unrelated but thought I'd share.

yes, surely 'has' is grammatically correct? Have would indicate pluality in having the wings I.e. 'black wings have my angels'.

another reason I'd chose the 'has' version!'

Edited by pow wow mik
Social source share

This is what I was trying to find out Neil no real difference in labels other than the "Pentagrid music" on "Have" and "Goldteak & Pentagrid" on "Has" and how come nobody seems to know anything about the "Has" version after all the Years that "Black Wings Have My Angel" Has been around that was the whole point of posting this besides trying to get a view on who liked which version best I thought someone on S/S would have maybe known of both versions and maybe shed some light onto how they came about!! Atb John.

I've had sound files of both versions for years, dunno why never mentioned, though folk was aware as there are quite a few takes, several acetates and the LP.  I had a listen to both and althpugh I'm not fond of the harmonica I think that take gives it a bit more oomph?  I do prefer the harmonica less take though although I'm not a lover of the record full stop.

what are the deadwax markings?  I would assume if at all that is where you tell the differenc?

Edited by chalky
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I've had sound files of both versions for years, dunno why never mentioned, thought folk was aware as there are quite a few takes, several acetates and the LP.  I had a listen to both and although I'm not fond of the harmonica I think that take gives it a bit more oomph?  I do prefer the harmonica less take though although I'm not a lover of the record full stop.

what are the deadwax markings?  I would assume if at all that is where you tell the difference!

I was aware of the totally different album track but never knew about any other takes especially put down on vinyl. I guess I should have figured there would be various unreleased acetate tracks as seems to be the norm with quite a few 45s but this is the first time I have ever heard this version from Tim's soundfile I guess as you say the deadwax markings must be different. Thanks for the info Chalky! Atb John.

Edited by mrtag
Social source share

Either version on Resist is Marmite, the uptempo organ set on overload acetate version w Hayes screaming his heart out is a totally different beastie

Yes, definitely Marmite. I really like the harmonica take, though I don't like Marmite. The non-harmonica take is somehow empty IMO.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest CapitolSC

Black Wings Hayes Cotton  on Resist 

A monster Sound back in the 80s with the Rare Soul crowd

Which in the last 15 years or so has been relegated back into the RnB/Rhythm n Soul genre because everyones into  the Funky Soul sound

Des Parker was playing the other version of Black Wings ages ago its ok but give me the Original any day of the week.

Both sides of the Claire release  Love plays/Ill be waiting are Bloody Amazing.

the version of ill be waiting on Resist is ok but nothing to write  home about

I love the lyrics to Black wings pure Emotion

But Horses for courses as they say 

Al H  :thumbsup:

Social source share

Black Wings Hayes Cotton  on Resist 

A monster Sound back in the 80s with the Rare Soul crowd

Which in the last 15 years or so has been relegated back into the RnB/Rhythm n Soul genre because everyones into  the Funky Soul sound

Des Parker was playing the other version of Black Wings ages ago its ok but give me the Original any day of the week.

Both sides of the Claire release  Love plays/Ill be waiting are Bloody Amazing.

the version of ill be waiting on Resist is ok but nothing to write  home about

I love the lyrics to Black wings pure Emotion

But Horses for courses as they say 

Al H  :thumbsup:

That explains a lot, it was a Des Parker tape I first heard it on. I always think that the version you hear first will usually remain your favourite. And that is certainly the case for me with this. I agree with the Claire release being much better than the flip on the Resist 45, and it went for big money on ebay the other week. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

That explains a lot, it was a Des Parker tape I first heard it on. I always think that the version you hear first will usually remain your favourite. And that is certainly the case for me with this. I agree with the Claire release being much better than the flip on the Resist 45, and it went for big money on ebay the other week. 

Have to agree Phil :yes:  the "Claire" release is picking up plays at the moment (both sides) and the price it's fetching is reflecting this!  :thumbsup:

Social source share

Ur gettin lazy in ur old age Init :thumbsup:  :lol:

Yes Johnny.....and you missed my 58th which was last Friday sir!!....if you remember you always send me one of your top plays every year...........he`s a good lad like that is our John :yes:

Social source share

You could say it's one of those oddball tracks, just like the Isonics.... accepted on the Northern scene

Yes, i`m always getting the two mixed up they`re so much alike.  :P

Social source share

• 11 months later...

Thought I'd add my copy to the mix ...  :thumbsup: 

It's an 8" Audiodisc acetate that I bought from Dean Anderson around 1995 at the 100 Club after many months of persistent pestering ...  :lol:

Label lists it as Session #1 (#1) , with what could be an inscription from the singer too ... ?

It's a vocal heavy mix and the sleeve is marked up as Vocal Session ... and is a tad more uptempo than the Resist issue to my ears/feet ... ?

Click on the pics for the full size images.

post-34231-0-21993900-1432394632_thumb.j

post-34231-0-17972300-1432394702_thumb.j

post-34231-0-25118200-1432394738_thumb.j

post-34231-0-47319300-1432394787_thumb.j

Not sure of the history behind the various acetates , I just remember three copies around at the time played out by Mark Bicknell , Dean and Big Scotty . ( who was playing at the 100 club the night I bought it )

Any more info would be most welcome ...  :yes: 

Edited by WoodButcher
Social source share

Thought I'd add my copy to the mix ...  :thumbsup: 

It's an 8" Audiodisc acetate that I bought from Dean Anderson around 1995 at the 100 Club after many months of persistent pestering ...  :lol:

Label lists it as Session #1 (#1) , with what could be an inscription from the singer too ... ?

It's a vocal heavy mix and the sleeve is marked up as Vocal Session ... and is a tad more uptempo than the Resist issue to my ears/feet ... ?

Click on the pics for the full size images.

attachicon.gifIMG_6532.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_6533.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_6530.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_6531.JPG

Not sure of the history behind the various acetates , I just remember three copies around at the time played out by Mark Bicknell , Dean and Big Scotty . ( who was playing at the 100 club the night I bought it )

Any more info would be most welcome ...  :yes: 

thats a great version/take...think i prefer it..better vocals and tempo as you say..

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!