northern-soul-45-GRIER-BROS-WEEPING-BABY-ALL-OF-THE-TIME-MELODYDISC-ORIG-NM

Item Ended

Item condition:Used

Ended: 06 Jul, 2014 20:15:29 BST

Winning bid:US $405.00

Approximately £236.19

[ 8 bids ]

Postage: US $15.00 USPS Priority Mail Internationa

I had a NM spare and sold it for £300 at end of last year it would of been silly to turn that offer down.   Also sold a NM copy for £100 about 3 years ago which I thought was good at the time. 

Social source share

Two copies came along in quick succession in the last few years.One to my buddy purchased at Rugby.2nd one to me a few weeks later off Ebay,for about £37 ,some of you may remember it.?

Re-vitalised by Chalky at Lifeline.

Social source share

I had difficulty finding a copy of this 5/6/7 years ago before it became in demand. Eventually Butch came to my rescue at £40

Bought mine from an Henry Atkinson sales tape for £30 many years ago. Sold it for same money sadly wish I'd kept it. :facepalm:  Always thought it sounded like an expensive record somehow. You win some and loose some as they say .

Social source share

Recently sold a copy for £70 ,  has Dave F says was doing the rounds on sales tapes in the 80s  , not really that good, but has a few of the current crop of  djs scraping the barrel to find something different to play

:wink: 'Scraping the barrell' and 'finding something different to play' should be two entirely seperate things. Maybe it depends on the individuals view of how good a tune it is. IMO plenty good enough in this case and I applaud dj's that are giving tunes like this another airing.

:hatsoff2: - Kev

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Its hugely indemand and it doesn't pop up every week so price will rise.   We've seen this countless times.

Correct, I would have put 150 on it......great cult record....its worth what its worth at the time of the sale, not what somebody reckons its worth cos they seen it in a box at Mexborough 20 years ago.

personally I love it...never had it tho.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

In reply to the original question, and as testament to the venue and DJ responsible, the price hike started 15th January 2011 and was (unusually) initiated by a little known DJ at a little known venue on the south coast.

Southampton Soul Club's "Ghetto Soul" nights were (are ?) held in a tiny one room venue. It was billed as a Rare & Underplayed night and DJ's were given free reign to use their imagination with tunes from any soul genre. No pressure to get feet on the floor - though the small dancefloor was often rammed, that wasn't what the night was about.

This was Gavin Knight's playlist from the night:

Mandells - How to love a woman
Wales Wallace - Talk a little louder
Joe Simon -When
Exsaveyons - I don't love you no more
Richard Brown - Don't listen to the grapevine
Lee Williams and the Cymbals - Lost love
Ebonies - You got what I want
Clovers - One more time
Danny White - Miss Fine Miss Fine
Sweethearts - Beauty is just skin deep
Spandells - Say no girl
Intertains - Need your love
Sensations - I won't be hurt
Grier Bros. - Weeping baby all the time
Avons - Since I met you baby
Charmels - Loving Material
Jeff Dale - Where do I go
Jackie Ross - Dynamite lovin'
De Vons - Someone to treat me (the way you use to)
Honey and the Bees - Why do you hurt the one who loves you
Johnny Daye - Good time
Chancellors - All the way from heaven
Fiestas - Think Smart
Shirley & Jessie - Ivory Tower
Jerms - I'm a teardrop
Buster Jones - Baby Boy

Not heard Gavin play, either before or since, which is a pity.
Weeping Baby definately created a buzz, and shortly after both Bearsy and myself were hunting  a copy.  As a result it got mentioned in a couple of threads on here, and as it started to appear on the radar a few more started looking for it. The few sales copies that were around climbed in value and before long John Manship did his imaginitive sales spiel on a copy he was selling at what I considered a grossly inflated price. The rest is history.

:thumbup: Please feel free to look at my Ghetto Soul playlist from October 2011 and create a massive price hike on any tune listed! :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Recently sold a copy for £70 ,  has Dave F says was doing the rounds on sales tapes in the 80s  , not really that good, but has a few of the current crop of  djs scraping the barrel to find something different to play

Well its all about personal taste and opinions I know but scraping the barrel? You must be joking ?

Great record :)

In reply to the original question, and as testament to the venue and DJ responsible, the price hike started 15th January 2011 and was (unusually) initiated by a little known DJ at a little known venue on the south coast.

Southampton Soul Club's "Ghetto Soul" nights were (are ?) held in a tiny one room venue. It was billed as a Rare & Underplayed night and DJ's were given free reign to use their imagination with tunes from any soul genre. No pressure to get feet on the floor - though the small dancefloor was often rammed, that wasn't what the night was about.

Joe Simon -When

Clovers - One more time

Spandells - Say no girl

Sensations - I won't be hurt

Grier Bros. - Weeping baby all the time

Johnny Daye - Good time

Fiestas - Think Smart

Jerms - I'm a teardrop

Buster Jones - Baby Boy

Weeping Baby definately created a buzz, and shortly after both Bearsy and myself were hunting  a copy.  As a result it got mentioned in a couple of threads on here, and as it started to appear on the radar a few more started looking for it. The few sales copies that were around climbed in value and before long John Manship did his imaginitive sales spiel on a copy he was selling at what I considered a grossly inflated price. The rest is history.

:thumbup: Please feel free to look at my Ghetto Soul playlist from October 2011 and create a massive price hike on any tune listed! :lol:

Chalky had been playing it for a while before that Kev, I played it when I did a spot at bidds in 2010 - I bought it after being reminded of how good it was after hearing Chalky play it in the freestyle room at Rugby and at Lifeline some time earlier

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I've mentioned this before, but there was a glut of folk like me that bought it in the 8ts early 9ts simply because it made the Soul Supply LP "under the street lamp' every record on that LP was a want, as I remember it wasn't an expensive track but back then £40 quid to me was allot of money....

It all goes around doesn't it...

Malcolm

Social source share

Guest turntableterra

it is quite a sought after tune here in Australia since rockin Ronnie played it a few years ago, then myself and gary acquired it and it took off.  I do know guys do have it from years ago in England but you cant remember everything.  hey mal c are you still interested in a clara ward on aussie, if so pm.

Social source share

Well its all about personal taste and opinions I know but scraping the barrel? You must be joking ?

Great record :)

Chalky had been playing it for a while before that Kev, I played it when I did a spot at bidds in 2010 - I bought it after being reminded of how good it was after hearing Chalky play it in the freestyle room at Rugby and at Lifeline some time earlier

Fair enough Steve.  I didn't know that, though I think I recall Chalky having some input to the previous threads I was talking about. Without doubt it's not an unknown tune and has been played previously, not disputing that at all. 

What I'm saying is, that at the time Gavin played it, it was a £30 - £50 tune.  There was interest on this site as a direct result of the Ghetto Soul spin, to which Chalky, amongst others, responded.  It's a good tune and was a little under the radar. Mention on this site probably reminded or bought it to the attention of a few more who perhaps weren't at Bidds, Lifeline or Rugby. 

I've been tracking sales of this since hearing it at Ghetto Soul (first time I heard it) and can see a direct correlation between that play and the rise in value.

:wink: Just thought It'd be a refreshing change to give some credit to the little man/venue. It's not mean't to be a case of who/where played it first.

Social source share

Fair enough Steve.  I didn't know that, though I think I recall Chalky having some input to the previous threads I was talking about. Without doubt it's not an unknown tune and has been played previously, not disputing that at all. 

What I'm saying is, that at the time Gavin played it, it was a £30 - £50 tune.  There was interest on this site as a direct result of the Ghetto Soul spin, to which Chalky, amongst others, responded.  It's a good tune and was a little under the radar. Mention on this site probably reminded or bought it to the attention of a few more who perhaps weren't at Bidds, Lifeline or Rugby. 

I've been tracking sales of this since hearing it at Ghetto Soul (first time I heard it) and can see a direct correlation between that play and the rise in value.

:wink: Just thought It'd be a refreshing change to give some credit to the little man/venue. It's not mean't to be a case of who/where played it first.

I put it in a podcast in 2010 that was pretty popular, posted it on here with all the info, had been playing it a while prior to that, Andy Dyson as well had played it out. Other DJ's had played it out, Keb back in the 80's, I did hear it was played at the Mecca, think Levine mentioned it as he put it in a recent podcast I think, I'd have to listen again to check what he said.  James Trouble was selling one on here in 2006 for £80 although for the other side, Shifty was selling one on his list on here in 2008 for £60.   It was £75 or thereabouts 3, 4 or 5 years ago the ones I saw in sales boxes and lists etc.  In 2011 it was already on the rise. Now it packs the floor.  

It matters little what a few anoraks think today.  Karmello Brooks was £25 back in the 80's, try finding one today for less than £1500.  Betty Lloyd was £30 all day long late 80's early 90's, now you'd have to part with several hundred quid, Dottie and Millie a fiver now it  is £150 plus and I've seen hundreds more copies of that than Grier Brothers, Ruby Andrews the same and there's thousands of copies.  The same can be said for countless records.  We can all say it isn't worth this or that but it is irrelevant, it's what something sells for today that matters not 30 years ago and the Grier Brothers the last few I have seen have been in the price wise in the hundreds not tens of pounds.  Supply and demand as they say and demand is out stripping supply of this right now.

Edited by chalky
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest son of stan

Really??

I had a copy of this back in the 80s. I never thought it was much cop then. Still don't!

Regarding above comment.. Betty Lloyd £30?? I had one slightly before that when it was really big at the more progressive venues. I am sure it would have been a couple of hundred then (got mine in a trade for Dean Courtney 'Love You Just Can't Walk Away' .....maybe I got ripped off lol!)

Social source share

Really??

I had a copy of this back in the 80s. I never thought it was much cop then. Still don't!

Regarding above comment.. Betty Lloyd £30?? I had one slightly before that when it was really big at the more progressive venues. I am sure it would have been a couple of hundred then (got mine in a trade for Dean Courtney 'Love You Just Can't Walk Away' .....maybe I got ripped off lol!)

Pretty certain Dave Withers had a quantity of Betty Lloyd and I know people who picked it up for £30,may have been short lived at that price though.

Social source share

Pretty certain Dave Withers had a quantity of Betty Lloyd and I know people who picked it up for £30,may have been short lived at that price though.

they were £60 from John Doe (Withers), and thats a cheap as they went on his regular list, not saying he sold them direct or at soul do's cheaper.. but I got his list religiously for years, every one and never saw it cheaper that that..

Mal

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

In reply to the original question, and as testament to the venue and DJ responsible, the price hike started 15th January 2011 and was (unusually) initiated by a little known DJ at a little known venue on the south coast.

Southampton Soul Club's "Ghetto Soul" nights were (are ?) held in a tiny one room venue. It was billed as a Rare & Underplayed night and DJ's were given free reign to use their imagination with tunes from any soul genre. No pressure to get feet on the floor - though the small dancefloor was often rammed, that wasn't what the night was about.

Joe Simon -When

Clovers - One more time

Spandells - Say no girl

Sensations - I won't be hurtGrier Bros. - Weeping baby all the time

Johnny Daye - Good time

Fiestas - Think Smart

Jerms - I'm a teardrop

Buster Jones - Baby Boy

Weeping Baby definately created a buzz, and shortly after both Bearsy and myself were hunting a copy. As a result it got mentioned in a couple of threads on here, and as it started to appear on the radar a few more started looking for it. The few sales copies that were around climbed in value and before long John Manship did his imaginitive sales spiel on a copy he was selling at what I considered a grossly inflated price. The rest is history.

:thumbup: Please feel free to look at my Ghetto Soul playlist from October 2011 and create a massive price hike on any tune listed! :lol:

:hatsoff2: - Kev

I remember the night well and I knew of it before but for some reason that night it stood right out and sounded awesome and yep a few of us down South all went hunting a copy and I was lucky to grab one that night when I got home I think lol. What was so good about that venue was how compact it was and you didn't have far to walk to look over the decks to see what was playing and somehow a lot of previous known tunes that never really stood out really stood out at Ghetto. I agree with the price hike thing from that date as like you say a lot of people in the South started asking for a copy and got a lot of plays down here over last few years so maybe that could of sparked the price rise as often done when all of a sudden a certain tune keeps getting asked for those that just being nosey that might not know it all of a sudden take an interest and then they want a copy... I would of found it hard to believe it hadn't been played before and not known and not suprised Chalky was playing it out either to good to be under the radar.

Useless bit of info for you all. Gavin knight who played it that night is a top lad a real genuine nice guy and not an out and out dj just a lover of the music and buys a few tunes here and there and will play out on the odd occasion he gets asked and gets out and about as often as he can down here as he has a young family BUT the best thing is he was the Drummer (used to be a professional drummer) in the Shamen - Ebennezer Goode :-) How cool is that :-)

Edited by Bearsy
Social source share

Guest son of stan
micksmix, on 20 Jul 2014 - 8:00 PM, said:micksmix, on 20 Jul 2014 - 8:00 PM, said:micksmix, on 20 Jul 2014 - 8:00 PM, said:

Maybe a box turned up afterwards? When I had it I used to get offers all the time for it. Would have been about 88 or so... Maybe earlier, the time of the Mexborough all nighters.. Then someone broke into my flat and  just took the box containing all my best records. So I lost the will to live with the scene and everything else and lost track of it all after that. I was only about 23. Thanks! (That person is on this site....)

The Dean Courtney I mentioned is a good story. Came from a funny little rock n' roll shop on Ealing Broadway. One of those places that was only open when the owner could be bothered...I pulled it out of a box for £3.50. Roger Stewart was in the shop, looking throughrestock when I walked in there that day. I was on a learning curve then. So for ages I thought it was a bootleg / common record!

Edited by son of stan
Social source share

I remember the night well and I knew of it before but for some reason that night it stood right out and sounded awesome and yep a few of us down South all went hunting a copy and I was lucky to grab one that night when I got home I think lol. What was so good about that venue was how compact it was and you didn't have far to walk to look over the decks to see what was playing and somehow a lot of previous known tunes that never really stood out really stood out at Ghetto. I agree with the price hike thing from that date as like you say a lot of people in the South started asking for a copy and got a lot of plays down here over last few years so maybe that could of sparked the price rise as often done when all of a sudden a certain tune keeps getting asked for those that just being nosey that might not know it all of a sudden take an interest and then they want a copy... I would of found it hard to believe it hadn't been played before and not known and not suprised Chalky was playing it out either to good to be under the radar.

Useless bit of info for you all. Gavin knight who played it that night is a top lad a real genuine nice guy and not an out and out dj just a lover of the music and buys a few tunes here and there and will play out on the odd occasion he gets asked and gets out and about as often as he can down here as he has a young family BUT the best thing is he was the Drummer (used to be a professional drummer) in the Shamen - Ebennezer Goode :-) How cool is that :-)

Sorry Bearsy ressed report by accident , guess that means I've reported your post for something :(

Hope you're keeping well mate & well on the way to full recevery if you're not already :thumbsup:

Anyway as I have said on another thread I was playing this at Solid Hit in O'Neils 6/7  years back, I'd heard it on a tape from Dave Miller from Scotland. That reminded me of hearing it out in late 70s/ early 80s pretty certain before Keb was playing it so I'm sure plenty of people knew of it (I just didn't know who it was by) So when I started playing it, it was a fairly "big" or well known sound in Hibernian & who knows where else. I tried loads of dealers including Manship, Pat Brady, Tim Brown, Tim Ashibende as well as quite a few people on here & couldn't find a copy anywhere until Butch came up trumps.

I guess the scene is so localised few know what is being played in the smaller venues around the country ?        

Edited by SHSDave
Social source share

I think Keb played it very briefly, and c/u, as I had it at home at the time he played, not sure if that was just in his flat or if he played it out. I had it courtesy of Colin Bee for £2.50 around 1980. NOt sure what made my buy that, but always remember buying that and Claudell McKell Experience is The Best Teacher, along with some boots I suspect, from Colin Bee. Must have read about them somewhere is the only thing I can think of.

They both stayed on shelves unloved for nigh on 30 years never took to it myself and never thought it sounded right, so sold it recently for a huge profit, although not as huge as it could have been by the looks of it.

Seems to have turned out to be quite scarce, if not rare!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!