Watching, But Why ?

Here's what's puzzling me, how come a record on ebay can have 80 watchers but ends with one low bid?

Why are people watching records they presumably have no interest in buying? Is this a common practice ?

I suspect I know why some folk do this, but I'd like to hear others views

Social source share

Yeah seems to be for just tracking values or curiosity, I figure 10 watchers =maybe 1 bid

On Discogs it seems to be worse, umpteen people "want" when there are several for sale,  at least 1 on every continent for about $10. What's holding us up!!

Social source share

Over the years here are 3 items i watched and forgot to bid on and they never got a bid

Virgil Henry on Tamla  Ex+  start price $9.99

Uk copy of Darrell Banks  I'm the one who loves you vg ++  £9.99

Bobby Hutton Lonely in love   M     $9.99

Each one was re listed and went for loads more money

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Over the years here are 3 items i watched and forgot to bid on and they never got a bid

Virgil Henry on Tamla  Ex+  start price $9.99

Uk copy of Darrell Banks  I'm the one who loves you vg ++  £9.99

Bobby Hutton Lonely in love   M     $9.99

Each one was re listed and went for loads more money

When I first started on ebay (when it was in it's infancy) I found and bought about a months worth of records on the first night. Just as I was about to switch off I saw an Empires "Youre On Top Girl", starting bid 150 dollars. I was dog tired but still remember thinking, ' blimey, this ebay lark is easy. I'll get that when it finishes tomorrow'

Of course like you said I forgot to bid in time and it ended with no bids. Since then I've done it hundreds of times, but I've never let myself down as badly as that (good job really cause I promised myself if I ever bought a ridiculous bargain, say a four figure record for ten dollars, it would be a sign my collecting days were over)

Social source share

Guest Rodney LeePeace

I can't afford at the time so add to watch,also I'm not always sure of record,eventually I go through list and delete.sometimes it's because my memory fails me and it helps me remember the track,nothing sinister.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Here's what's puzzling me, how come a record on ebay can have 80 watchers but ends with one low bid?

Why are people watching records they presumably have no interest in buying? Is this a common practice ?

I don't know about others but I watch sometimes so I know the current value of records I own, or maybe one I'm thinking about selling.

Social source share

I think you have misinterpreted "Page Views" with "Watchers" Only the seller will know how many people are watching it. I've just sold a Beatles demo for £664 and i think that only had about 60 watchers but around 500 page views. I think the most amount of watchers i ever had on a soul 45 was about 50 on the Purple Mundi I sold a couple of years back. To get 80 watchers and not sell is virtually impossible i reckon :huh:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I watch to see the finish prices. When I am after records for my collection it makes sense to know the prices they go for.

This is a better guide to what things are going for than any of those price guide books. They are out of date while being printed!

Social source share

I think you have misinterpreted "Page Views" with "Watchers" Only the seller will know how many people are watching it. I've just sold a Beatles demo for £664 and i think that only had about 60 watchers but around 500 page views. I think the most amount of watchers i ever had on a soul 45 was about 50 on the Purple Mundi I sold a couple of years back. To get 80 watchers and not sell is virtually impossible i reckon :huh:

Hi Vince, it's not only the seller who can see how many people are watching. I'm not the seller of these but for example today, Jimmie Bo Horn = 140 watchers (22 bids, 11 bidders) Candi Staton = 78 watchers (10 bids etc), Sherri Taylor = 74 watchers. Dusty Wilson = 71 watchers etc

These are not page views, I just put JBH on my watch list and it increased by one.

Social source share

I tend to watch things to get an idea what they sell for and also to see how many bid on them.

Also just to check on the conditions of things going through and get an idea of the general quality and quantities around.

Sometimes I put a bid in, other times I don't - or just forget!

I guess different people will have different reasons, as already mentioned above.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Most folk watching will be doing ti to get an idea on price, whether they own it it or want it.

Some will also watch in the hope to get a bargain or at least within their price range to what they value the record at. If it goes over that, then they won't bid. Thankfully, not everyone is impetuous when it comes to record buying. Bit of patience brings reward.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

On Discogs it seems to be worse, umpteen people "want" when there are several for sale,  at least 1 on every continent for about $10. What's holding us up!!

On discogs I usually add cheap records to my watchlist to try to save on postage. They make it easy to do just that.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On discogs I usually add cheap records to my watchlist to try to save on postage. They make it easy to do just that.

Am I being a thicky and getting this all wrong or what.

At random from your page

https://www.discogs.com/buy/Vinyl/Hank-Carbo-Bad-Luck-Funny-How-Times-Slips-Away/128529589?ev=bp_titl

Now 39 people "want this" which I assume is the same as "watching",  quite a popular little number so in theory someone could break down and buy it at any time

There are 4 for sale, all in decent nick, yours being at the cheaper end.

Mail in Europe eg is $8 and lets assume its the same if you buy 1 or 2 more

Assuming you were watching that, do you wait till there is something else you have that you want and hope that this is still there

when you find the other something?

Or would you buy it and have him hold it until such other thing that you want shows up, in which case it shouldn't still be up for sale?

Social source share

Am I being a thicky and getting this all wrong or what.

At random from your page

https://www.discogs.com/buy/Vinyl/Hank-Carbo-Bad-Luck-Funny-How-Times-Slips-Away/128529589?ev=bp_titl

Now 39 people "want this" which I assume is the same as "watching",  quite a popular little number so in theory someone could break down and buy it at any time

There are 4 for sale, all in decent nick, yours being at the cheaper end.

Mail in Europe eg is $8 and lets assume its the same if you buy 1 or 2 more

Some sellers add small amounts to the shipping cost, probably depends on their local shipping rates. I can usually get four copies sent for $8 within Europe.

Assuming you were watching that, do you wait till there is something else you have that you want and hope that this is still there

when you find the other something?

Yes, as long as I don't consider the item to be too rare, cheap or in-demand.

Or would you buy it and have him hold it until such other thing that you want shows up, in which case it shouldn't still be up for sale?

Usually not.

I add cheap records to my wantlist in hope that the seller has one or more of these in stock. If you go to the list of copies for sale ( https://www.discogs.com/marketplace?release_id=2504692 ) the number of items on your wantlist will appear in the "seller information" column as a link. This way you can see all the wantlist-items the particular seller has in stock. Having a big wantlist will make it easier to find records to add when you're placing an order.

(If the price is good I'll order the copy I was looking at even if the seller doesn't have any of my other wants.)

Social source share

Some sellers add small amounts to the shipping cost, probably depends on their local shipping rates. I can usually get four copies sent for $8 within Europe.

Yes, as long as I don't consider the item to be too rare, cheap or in-demand.

Usually not.

I add cheap records to my wantlist in hope that the seller has one or more of these in stock. If you go to the list of copies for sale ( https://www.discogs.com/marketplace?release_id=2504692 ) the number of items on your wantlist will appear in the "seller information" column as a link. This way you can see all the wantlist-items the particular seller has in stock. Having a big wantlist will make it easier to find records to add when you're placing an order.

(If the price is good I'll order the copy I was looking at even if the seller doesn't have any of my other wants.)

So "want' is more like track or search than actually want, generally.

Fair enough.

Social source share

I watch to see the finish prices. When I am after records for my collection it makes sense to know the prices they go for.

This is a better guide to what things are going for than any of those price guide books. They are out of date while being printed!

exactly right.

and when bulk of something gets found or a newish tune breaks, or something is on the up you need to stalk the thing to make sure you get the best price.

overpaying for tunes is not a good thing. lack of research is usually the key to overpaying

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Most folk watching will be doing ti to get an idea on price, whether they own it it or want it.

Some will also watch in the hope to get a bargain or at least within their price range to what they value the record at. If it goes over that, then they won't bid. Thankfully, not everyone is impetuous when it comes to record buying. Bit of patience brings reward.

one thing that always amuses me is that some sellers seem to have a knack of finding three bidders with an impetuous nature on even the most common of things putting a spanner in the research and delaying your own purchase by creating a spike in the price. 

all this does make the day when you get something for $30 that's worth 150 quid extra special though. for me its definitely a big part of the hobby. the stalking then more stalking then buying things cheap. cant do that consistently without research, 

Edited by JNixon
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I'm watching one now. I put a bid in on a record I already own, so I'm watching and hoping I will be out bid :lol:

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

One of my recent watches went through with no bids, I was going to put a bid on but simply forgot at the time.

It came back on this week, so I swiftly put one on and within a day it now has had 3 bids and now I'm not the winning bidder without hiking the price up further!

Two things here, one is that simply no one interested in it saw it first time around.

Another is the seller has another 'bidder' who puts the price up higher, but this time overshot my maximum bid... Who knows but unless I bid again I may never know, unless someone else steps in and the price goes up anyway.

Is it worth the gamble? I guess that's an individual's choice, I'll probably just let it go and watch what happens - all part of the research aspect isn't it?

Social source share

I watch loads, often exceeding the 200 limit and spilling into the Wish List.......

This allows me to

• See what prices items sell for
  • Go back to items if I see at work or on the mobile
  • Mark items of interest that need more research
  • Bid / Buy
  • Make offers on unsold items / Ask if seller has further copies even when I don't win at that time
  • Decide which items I want most and bid accordingly amongst those I watch relative to the budget at the time

So I'd probably recommend using the facility :thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I recently sold a record and the start price was well generous for the disc I was selling (and well known as well) I had 18 watchers for nearly a week and the day of the of the sale there was only one bid, and it was won by a known dealer.

Hmm...something very fishy going on at the moment I think.

Social source share

How did anyone miss it? Did he end early?

not sure he may have and that could be the reason.

It states at top "seller ended auction due an error in the listing" or something. So you can stop kicking yourselves in the shin, you didn't miss Terry Callier for $0.99...

Not quite sure what the point in making public the number of watchers is. No doubt to start a bidding frenzy, if you know loads of people are watching. Ending in higher end price, resulting in more cash for ebay. Ah, I knew there'd be a simple enough reason...

I've sold a few records with watchers up the hundreds, Vince. Mostly classical, and they like a good old last minute sniping frenzy!

Social source share

I watch some records just to see what they eventually sell for and how many bidders. This gives me a guide price (not value) for some of my records. Thought everyone did it.

I watch some records just to see what they eventually sell for and how many bidders. This gives me a guide price (not value) for some of my records. Thought everyone did it.

Exact!! Its the Same to me

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!