Smc Records-Clyde Wilson/steve Mancha

I've just noticed that the normally reliable R&B Indies book has SMC records as out of Detroit co-owned by Leroy Kirkland and Clyde Wilson AKA Steve Mancha. I'm virtually certain this is wrong. Leroy was out of NYC and SMC was 69-71 when Steve was around Invictus. Also the other main artist on SMC is Bee Bee Butler who recorded for Barry also NYC. Still any verification would be handy. Ady

Social source share

I agree Rob, but I should have added that this Clyde Wilson was an occasional writing partner of Rose Marie McCoy in the early 60s and I think is likely to be an East Coast guy. I was hoping someone might know of other Clyde Wilson work on the East Coast as I can only account for the late and early 60s.

Social source share

I agree Rob, but I should have added that this Clyde Wilson was an occasional writing partner of Rose Marie McCoy in the early 60s and I think is likely to be an East Coast guy. I was hoping someone might know of other Clyde Wilson work on the East Coast as I can only account for the late and early 60s.

Rose did spend time in Detroit at Golden World when she composed 'Spellbound' for Tamiko  Jones and so on

Is it worth giving her a call ?

andy

Social source share

It's weird , I have a New York acetate of Billy Clark " Too bad too sad " / " You'll never make it alone " .On the flipside it is credited to Clyde Wilson , maybe this is the same guy ? As far as I know his name isn't credited on the Gama release of the above record , it's always bugged me .....

Social source share

SMC WAS a NY label.  B.B. Butler and most of the other names connected worked out of NY.  That Clyde Wilson was probably a different guy, working out of NY, as the SMC recording probably took place when Steve Mancha was very active in Detroit.  

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It's weird , I have a New York acetate of Billy Clark " Too bad too sad " / " You'll never make it alone " .On the flipside it is credited to Clyde Wilson , maybe this is the same guy ? As far as I know his name isn't credited on the Gama release of the above record , it's always bugged me .....

Could well be Eddie, I believe Gama is a Washington east coast label.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!