Single Deck And Sound System Set Up

Paulb

Looking to get a decent record player and compact sound system set up for my front room. Nothing too expensive ideally and would like to keep it neat and tidy. Something that be tucked away in the corner rather than 8 foot speakers and an amp.

Can you plug a record player into a bose system?

I'm useless on stuff like this so any advice would be great.

Social source share

If you deck has a built in amp and a headphone socket or an aux output as some of the new mp3 converter ones have then it will plug in to a Bose system if your deck needs separate amp it can still be done via the aux output or headphone socket on the amp. You'll just need the right cables maplins will sort you out for them

Social source share

You could get a good 2nd hand deck, such as a Rega, along with a dac and use the Aux input on the Bose.  This wouldn't cost a lot and should sound quite nice, although I have a Bose SoundDock  and don't really like it much myself.  Another way would be a turntable along with small a headphone amp, if you don't mind listening through headphones all the time.

Social source share

:hatsoff2: Hi All  there is loads of stuff on the web on sound systems, from home hi fi to full studio sound equipment or 10K PA, 

my tip is buy quality equipment, only get what you need for the use you intended it for,  check out (as you are doing) what the recommendation from other sound men,

Since the time I got my 1st record player (dansette) I always wanted better, rubbish equipment in the long run can be more expensive than pro gear, that's a fact, I have a bespoke JA sound system which would cost about £3500 to build or £6K built.

RECORD DECK

Without doubt a Techniques 1210 is the best deck, used by all bad boys & DJ around the world they hardly changed since they were first made in the early 7ts, there are many decks that look like a Techniques, but if you want the best sound it is the professional pick,

Other decks to use for the authentic reproduction of SOUL or REGGAE 6ts vinyl are GARRARD 301 & 401, I picked up a 401 deck from a car boot sale with a SMC pick up arm for £2 they sell for £500, the 301 is the deck of choice to play REGGAE, with it's large anti warp turntable, these now sell for big money £1k is common,  early DISCO deck that are worth picking up is the Garrard SP25 mk2, you can still get these for £25 but they are great for disco play as they are belt driven ideal for northern, but belt driven decks are of no use if you want to scratch rewind the record , so t's a Techniques 1210  £300 second hand, they have stopped the manufacture of the decks in the last couple of years, so I recommend you check out your local cash converter shop, for good second hand amps pre amps decks & speakers, always take someone with you when buying sound equipment and ask for a demo to see it working, best speakers are JBL, modern speakers are much improved than ones that are 10 years old, so buy new, amps valve are the best for soul & reggae, 500 watt Crown are the best but there are so many good ones out there, however you really need  a min 400 watts of power = 200 watt per channel (stereo)  your pre amp & EFX again get the best you can afford,

To conclude if you are not sure ask someone who knows to help you and go on line as there is everything on there for you to look at, if you need photos of my set up, let me know.

Hope this helps?

:yes: DAVE K

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Rob Alias

Dave K's reply is a start but I would suggest that the very first question you have to ask yourself is 'How much am I willing to spend?'. The Technics 1210 is indeed a great deck for DJing (not the purpose for which it was originally designed) but in unmodified form there is absolutely no way it can compare with cheaper decks designed to play records without pitch control etc. If you don't believe this point just tap the arm on a standard Technics deck - and ask can I live with the resonance and with a sound that is less than precise (and that is being kind).

This is not to say that there isn't a market in existence that is concerned with adapting and making the most of the Technics deck - upgraded arms and catridges etc, but I suspect you want a 'fit and forget' deck that offers you the best possible sound with the minimum of fuss.

If you want to pm me I am happy to discuss further.

Rob Alias

Social source share

Technics is great for DJs, but if you want to just play your records a belt driven turntable is more bang for buck. Audiofile decks are mostly belt-driven because you get less noise from the motor when it's not plugged right into the platter.

If you plug the turntable into your bose system you will probably be happy with most turntables except the really cheap china decks. If the bose doesn't have phono plugs you'll need a phono preamp between the turntable and the bose.

Edited by LarsC
Social source share

You guys who like the belt driven turntables. How do you check that the deck is spinning at the correct RPM? I have recorded hundreds of rare records using a little Bush deck, the sound quality is really good for what it is, but unfortunately I have realised that the turntable was running too fast. Probably around +1. 

With a Technics 1200 series you can't go wrong. The strobe will always show the true speed. However I will never be able to get some of those records again.

OK so most people wouldn't notice the difference, but I can, and I wouldn't use a belt drive deck again unless it had a strobe.

Social source share

You guys who like the belt driven turntables. How do you check that the deck is spinning at the correct RPM? I have recorded hundreds of rare records using a little Bush deck, the sound quality is really good for what it is, but unfortunately I have realised that the turntable was running too fast. Probably around +1. 

With a Technics 1200 series you can't go wrong. The strobe will always show the true speed. However I will never be able to get some of those records again.

OK so most people wouldn't notice the difference, but I can, and I wouldn't use a belt drive deck again unless it had a strobe.

If you exclude really cheap/crap turntables, belt drive is the preferred choice of audiophiles due to the fact that the belt isolates the vibration of the motor from the platter and, in turn, the record groove itself.

Everything is built to a price and for this reason, audiophile turntables often tend to be missing 'extras' like strobe lights, automatic speed change, brakes, pitch controls etc, that way, more money is spent on parts that affect sound quality - better quality motors and tonearm bearings that provide reliable accurate speed stability and friction free tonearm movement.

A cynic might argue that belt drive is simply much cheaper to produce and make a higher profit on of course...

Having said all that, I have just replaced my belt drive 'high end' Michell Gyrodec with a direct drive Audio Technica LP1240 DJ turntable because it is far more convenient for playing 45s, built like a tank, has a USB port and a built-in phono stage.

My 'HiFi' listening isn't done via vinyl anymore and when playing NS 45s, the difference in sound quality between the two is negligible.

Social source share

That's exactly my point. If you are listening to classical music on LP format, then I can totally understand the need to get the best available HiFidelity turntable. For playing and recording 60's 45's though, the Technics matched with a Shure White Label cart is king.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

If you exclude really cheap/crap turntables, belt drive is the preferred choice of audiophiles due to the fact that the belt isolates the vibration of the motor from the platter and, in turn, the record groove itself.

Everything is built to a price and for this reason, audiophile turntables often tend to be missing 'extras' like strobe lights, automatic speed change, brakes, pitch controls etc, that way, more money is spent on parts that affect sound quality - better quality motors and tonearm bearings that provide reliable accurate speed stability and friction free tonearm movement.

A cynic might argue that belt drive is simply much cheaper to produce and make a higher profit on of course...

Having said all that, I have just replaced my belt drive 'high end' Michell Gyrodec with a direct drive Audio Technica LP1240 DJ turntable because it is far more convenient for playing 45s, built like a tank, has a USB port and a built-in phono stage.

My 'HiFi' listening isn't done via vinyl anymore and when playing NS 45s, the difference in sound quality between the two is negligible.

If the Michell Gyrodec is what i think it is[is it the turntable sat on 3 pillars ?],then its a thing of strange beauty and i would never have replaced it with a USB deck…….My experience with those is that they are convenient but the sound quality [and,the quality of the soundfiles they produce],leaves a lot to be desired. For example ,there was a constant hum [ It wasn't me btw,I'm very clean ! ] Im glad i replaced it for recording and playback purposes with my Technics SL1210 used in conduction with a Phonobox USB-V digital/analogue converter[Highly recommended I can tell you]….Far, far superior sound reproduction and top quality digital files MP3,WAV etc…...

Best, Ivor

Social source share

If the Michell Gyrodec is what i think it is[is it the turntable sat on 3 pillars ?],then its a thing of strange beauty and i would never have replaced it with a USB deck…….My experience with those is that they are convenient but the sound quality [and,the quality of the soundfiles they produce],leaves a lot to be desired. For example ,there was a constant hum [ It wasn't me btw,I'm very clean ! ] Im glad i replaced it for recording and playback purposes with my Technics SL1210 used in conduction with a Phonobox USB-V digital/analogue converter[Highly recommended I can tell you]….Far, far superior sound reproduction and top quality digital files MP3,WAV etc…...

Best, Ivor

Ivor,

Yes, it is the one you are thinking of.

I did briefly test out the USB function and thankfully it does make decent quality digital files, without any hum - I am aware that some lower end decks suffer from this problem. The AT LP1240 is considered to be as good as it gets amongst the current crop of DJ turntables and so far I have been happy with it. Although the Technics SL1210 remains the benchmark for others to follow.

I haven't been silly enough to sell the Gyrodec though.

Edited by Soul16
Social source share

With a usb turntable could it go direct to a laptop and play through that or would it need a pre amp?

All I am after is something to play in my front room that can be moved out of harms way when the kids are out of their cage.

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Yes Paul, you can plug them straight into your computer/laptop without a pre-amp. The one I had came with a built-in digital/analogue converter and it came with a CD version of Audacity which you upload to your computer and lets you create soundfiles straight away. Audacity is a recording/editing program which I believe is also available to download on the internet for free. Its very good and easy to use. If you see my earlier post regarding the USB decks[ mine wasn't a cheap one btw],in my opinion they leave a lot to be desired. Soul16 is very happy with his turntable though,so maybe shop around and judge for yourself. As stated earlier,I think you are better off purchasing an independent D/A convertor and getting a top quality turntable for best results. For example,Citronic make a decent D/A convertor for about £30 or thereabouts,the  Phonobox USB-V I use now was approx £100 but the sound quality is top notch ……Like most things in life,you get what you pay for Paul !

Best, Ivor

Social source share

For simple low-price ease-of-use products you can usually buy old vintage amps. Loads of quality at a low price, and no need for a preamp as they usually have built-in phono stages. For recording you just need a cheap cable from the amps rec out to the pc's line in.

Social source share

With a usb turntable could it go direct to a laptop and play through that or would it need a pre amp?

All I am after is something to play in my front room that can be moved out of harms way when the kids are out of their cage.

Hi Paul,

The Audio Technica LP1240 can be found for around £375, so it is not what you would call cheap. It is not a 'USB turntable' but a good quality turntable that happens to have a USB facility - I trust that makes sense to you.

Yes, it will play straight into your laptop. I use mine as a front end in a Naim Audio system and it sounds fine.

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL I have found all reply's on this thread to be realistic & honest, thank god you are not sales people,  However I took the question single deck sound system, to mean a set up similar to what was put together in 1960s Jamaica, but like I have a bespoke system with sound system features,  

Of course Sound System terminology for many means a HI FI unit, were you can set up the very best eqpt (not always the most expensive), once you have your sound balanced to your satisfaction, you will have a greater appreciation of your music, A double deck disco or single deck set up is by it's nature not going to stay put, it is meant to be robust as it get moved about, although many pubs nowadays have built in sound systems, it's well worth checking them out,

Talking about belt driven decks, reminds me of 2 I have made by DUAL they were decent with a ROTEL amp & Wharfdale speakers, I also agree that makers like GEMINI have great stuff with good output sound ideal for the spare room setup, 

this is a good thread & I hope some good ideas come from it, NICE ONE :thumbup: DAVE K  

Social source share

There lots of better deck than technics , they where made for scratching and all that other malarkey.. I have a linn deck, great sound for home use... Cheers paul

No they weren't, they were made for Dj'ing, and they are still the best deck for that purpose. Yes there are better decks for HiFidelity, but that hardly matters with 1960's 45's.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I

No they weren't, they were made for Dj'ing, and they are still the best deck for that purpose. Yes there are better decks for HiFidelity, but that hardly matters with 1960's 45's.

iam sorry but I had a technics 1200 mkii thinking it would be the dogs b*llocks, by really good fortune I found a linn axis deck a the local boot sale for a tenner ,plugged it in as soon as I got home.. The difference was amazing IMHO ,I've got rid of the technics since..regards Paul

Edited by pikeys dog
swearing - workplace filters
Social source share

I iam sorry but I had a technics 1200 mkii thinking it would be the dogs b*llocks, by really good fortune I found a linn axis deck a the local boot sale for a tenner ,plugged it in as soon as I got home.. The difference was amazing IMHO ,I've got rid of the technics since..regards Paul

I bow to your superior knowledge then sir, as I have never had the pleasure of owning a Linn deck.

Edited by pikeys dog
swearing - workplace filters
Social source share

That's exactly my point. If you are listening to classical music on LP format, then I can totally understand the need to get the best available HiFidelity turntable. For playing and recording 60's 45's though, the Technics matched with a Shure White Label cart is king.

If you are playing older records in less than minty condition the audiophile decks, belt driven or not, will highlight any and all imperfections. The above suggestion from Quinvy is generally accepted as the best deck / cartridge to get the best sound and least ware from the typical vinyl/styrene played by vintage collectors.

The eventual sound of any system will depend on the combination of the components and how they work together, additionally, cost will play it's part as well aesthetics and space. As the OP was specific in requiring a small setup for the room then a 1210 with a good cartridge, a pre-amp or mixer connedted to an amplifier/speaker combination (such as the BOSE type) would seem to fit best.

addendum - forgot to mention another option which would be to use a single deck with additional preamp such as the Technics 1210 or an even cleaner solution a deck with built in preamp (Audio Technica LP1240 - also solves your digital recording requirements) with a set of powered speakers. In this way only the deck and speakers are required reducing space requirements and minimizing cabling.

Edited by ClearVinyl
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL I have found all reply's on this thread to be realistic & honest, thank god you are not sales people,  However I took the question single deck sound system, to mean a set up similar to what was put together in 1960s Jamaica, but like I have a bespoke system with sound system features,  

Of course Sound System terminology for many means a HI FI unit, were you can set up the very best eqpt (not always the most expensive), once you have your sound balanced to your satisfaction, you will have a greater appreciation of your music, A double deck disco or single deck set up is by it's nature not going to stay put, it is meant to be robust as it get moved about, although many pubs nowadays have built in sound systems, it's well worth checking them out,

Talking about belt driven decks, reminds me of 2 I have made by DUAL they were decent with a ROTEL amp & Wharfdale speakers, I also agree that makers like GEMINI have great stuff with good output sound ideal for the spare room setup, 

this is a good thread & I hope some good ideas come from it, NICE ONE :thumbup: DAVE K  

Go on Dave, show us ya JA setup - please. Either on here or feel free to pm

Best, Greg.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Go on Dave, show us ya JA setup - please. Either on here or feel free to pm

Best, Gr :hatsoff2: HI ALL   WILL DO, However my laptop is getting repaired after it crashed 4 days ago, this is the troubles pc, and I am not allowed to use, she is asleep at the moment?, the wife is the boss,

:yes: in this house? DAVE Keg.

Social source share

Guest Rob Alias

If you are playing older records in less than minty condition the audiophile decks, belt driven or not, will highlight any and all imperfections. The above suggestion from Quinvy is generally accepted as the best deck / cartridge to get the best sound and least ware from the typical vinyl/styrene played by vintage collectors.

The eventual sound of any system will depend on the combination of the components and how they work together, additionally, cost will play it's part as well aesthetics and space. As the OP was specific in requiring a small setup for the room then a 1210 with a good cartridge, a pre-amp or mixer connedted to an amplifier/speaker combination (such as the BOSE type) would seem to fit best.

addendum - forgot to mention another option which would be to use a single deck with additional preamp such as the Technics 1210 or an even cleaner solution a deck with built in preamp (Audio Technica LP1240 - also solves your digital recording requirements) with a set of powered speakers. In this way only the deck and speakers are required reducing space requirements and minimizing cabling.

You are absolutely right to state that an audiophile record deck will be far more revealing than a standard 'Technics 1210' deck, and that is why I have always been suspicious of dealers who probably base their 'grading' of records on use of a 1210 (and in some instances far lesser turntables). Budget is the key, and the fact remains that a cheaper turntable allied with a reasonably priced phono stage (such as that produced by Cambridge Audio for example at around £100) will truly reveal the limitations of a Technics deck. BOSE is, quite simply, not 'Hi-Fi' and should be regarded as a 'lifestyle' choice, loved by those who value style and the apparently expensive price tag above true performance.

Furthermore, the idea that using a 7" single should neccesarily disqualify any turntable above a Technics 1210 is utter bullshit (often promulgated by those who have no experience of another deck). A superior turntable will bring you closer to the music in ways that a Technics could only ever dream of (in unmodified form especially). Play a Four Tops 45 and have Levi in your room - you will never get that with the 'flattening' effect of a 1210.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!