The First Generation

Reforee

I am looking for a copy of The First Generation "give him up" .

I believe it is on High Note but this might not be the original release any help on info , price etc would be of help and MOST of all obtaining said platter.

TIA

Dave

Social source share

I am looking for a copy of The First Generation "give him up" .

I believe it is on High Note but this might not be the original release any help on info , price etc would be of help and MOST of all obtaining said platter.

TIA

Dave

That is the original UK label Dave.

Original Jamaican label is Gay Feet.

B side (In the UK) of Dave Barker - She Want It

Social source share

Cheers Pete

How much does this go for? is it rare, elusive or general run of the mill

Dave

Yeah it's a hard one to find.  Boring people to tears now by saying I had it first as a cover up, which I did, when I used to run my fanzine (told everyone who it was in the next issue), so when I sold that in 95 I didn't see another copy for maybe 8 years, and I've only seen one since then - it was £60.

Social source share

Yeah it's a hard one to find.  Boring people to tears now by saying I had it first as a cover up, which I did, when I used to run my fanzine (told everyone who it was in the next issue), so when I sold that in 95 I didn't see another copy for maybe 8 years, and I've only seen one since then - it was £60.

Now that's really cheered me up!!!?..........was hoping it was gonna be a £25/£30 record. Ah well here's hoping I can track one down or some kind soul on here wants to part with a copy.

Cheers

Dave

Social source share

been after one myself for couple years now and not a sniff bud ! good luck and if u happen upon 2 copies dont forget me lol

jason

Jason

Thanks for that I really, really really, did want to know that lol.. Mind you I have tracked records for 5 times longer than that and bided my time, can live without one............but not for too long I hope!

Your on the list for the second copy!!!!........If I find one first that is.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by reforee
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

by the way,are u aware its a cover of smokey robinson ?https://youtu.be/wKn-bQ1OpKw

I think a lot of Soul,records were covered by Jamaican singers through their labels and to be honest in the main (what I know of/heard) they did a bloody fine job of it.

No mistaking Smokey's vocal prowess, but for me The First Generation does it for me, probably because I do love girlie vocals on soul records.

Dave

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

What a great version the First Generation is.

Beautiful wistful feel to it. Song 5 stars. Vocal 5 stars. Production 5 stars. Where has it been all my life??!!

Not looking to buy a copy myself but can anyone please tell me what year it was first released.

Social source share

What a great version the First Generation is.

Beautiful wistful feel to it. Song 5 stars. Vocal 5 stars. Production 5 stars. Where has it been all my life??!!

Not looking to buy a copy myself but can anyone please tell me what year it was first released.

Think it's 1970

Social source share

You have to be careful if you're after a Jamaican copy because I have it listed as the other side of "Hearts of the knights" by Lennox Brown, but despite having the same label numbers (a rarity in itself, JA copies don't usually have numbers, just matrixes) well it's definitely not on the other side of that, Judy Mowatt is.  Unless some copies are different.  Does anyone actually own a Jamaican copy?

Social source share

The listing for the JA copy on Discogs states the artist on the other side as The Gaytones - but there's no picture of it:

https://www.discogs.com/First-Generations-The-Gaytones-Give-Him-Up-Another-Version/release/5435928

Gay Feet 212

I assume 'Another version' means maybe a dub / instrumental version of the song?

Yeah the Gaytones are the regular backing band for Gay Feet Records, so you're probably right that it's a version, still can't find it though, this below doesn't help much - supposedly all Gaytones releases up to 1972 but I can't see it

Gaytones Crashers Musical Fight (Target) (instrumental) JA 1969 7 High Note S 25 Sonia Pottinger

Gaytones  One Look UK 1969 7 High Note HS 014-B Sonia Pottinger

Gaytones  One Look JA 1969 7 High Note S 58 Sonia Pottinger

Roland Alphonso Roland Alphonso and The Gaytones Sticker JA 1969 7 Gay Feet S 206 Sonia Pottinger

Winston Delano Stewart Delano Stewart, Gaytones Stay A Little Bit Longer JA 1969 7 High Note S 35 Sonia Pottinger

Gaytones  Chapter UK 1970 7 High Note HS 045-B Sonia Pottinger

Gaytones  Cherry pt.2 UK 1970 7 High Note HS 042-B Sonia Pottinger

Gaytones  Cherry pt.2 JA 1970 7   Sonia Pottinger

Gaytones  Musical Fight (Target) (instrumental) UK 1970 7 High Note HS 037-A Sonia Pottinger

Melodians Melodians, Gaytones No Nola JA 1970 7 High Note S 43 Sonia Pottinger

Dennis Alcapone Dennis Alcapone and The Gaytones Medley Version UK 1971 7 Duke DU 125-A Sonia Pottinger

Dennis Alcapone Dennis Alcapone and The Gaytones Medley Version Pt. 2 UK 1971 7 Duke DU 125-B Sonia Pottinger

Gaytones  Jamaican Hilite JA 1971 7 Gay Feet  Sonia Pottinger

Gaytones  Musical Fight (Target) (instrumental) UK 1971 7 Trojan TR 7817-B Sonia Pottinger

Gaytones  unknown JA 1971 7 High Note  Sonia Pottinger

Judy Mowatt Julian, Gaytones Cry To Me JA 1971 7 Gay Feet S 211 Sonia Pottinger

Judy Mowatt Jean and The Gaytones I Shall Sing UK 1971 7 Trojan TR 7817-A Sonia Pottinger

Judy Mowatt Julian and The Gaytones I Shall Sing JA 1971 7 Gay Feet S 207 Sonia Pottinger

Judy Mowatt Judy Mowatt and The Chosen Few with the Gaytones Joy To The World UK 1971 7 High Note HS 054-A Sonia Pottinger

Lennox Brown Lennox Brown and The Gaytones Heart Of The Knights (Conqueror) UK 1971 7 High Note HS 055-A Sonia Pottinger and Joe Gibbs

Max Romeo Max Romeo and The Gaytones Pray For Me JA 1971 7 Gay Feet S 217 Sonia Pottinger

Nora Dean Norah Dean, Gaytones Must Get A Man JA 1971 7 Gay Feet S 214 Sonia Pottinger

Nora Dean Norah Dean, Gaytones The Palet (The Valet) JA 1971 7 Gay Feet S 213 Sonia Pottinger

Errol Dunkley Errol Dunckley, Gaytones You'll Never Know USA 1972 7 Gay Feet S 244-A Sonia Pottinger

Errol Dunkley Errol Dunkley, Gaytones You'll Never Know JA 1972 7 Gay Feet S 244 Sonia Pottinger

Gaytones  Jamaican Hilite UK 1972 7 Green Door GD 4016-A Sonia Pottinger

Gaytones  Soul Makossa (mispelled Soul Masooka) JA 1972 7 Gay Feet S 272 Sonia Pottinger

Heptones Heptones, Gaytones H-E-L-P JA 1972 7 Gay Feet S 240 Sonia Pottinger

Jackie Brown Jackie Brown, The Gaytones Country Gal JA 1972 7 Gay Feet S 251 Sonia Pottinger

Judy Mowatt Julianne and The Gaytones I Love You JA 1972 7 Gay Feet  Sonia Pottinger

Judy Mowatt Juliane and The Gaytones Rescue Me JA 1972 7 Gay Feet S 249 Sonia Pottinger

Judy Mowatt Julian, Gaytones She Kept On Talking JA 1972 7 Gay Feet S 229 Sonia Pottinger

Max Romeo Max Romeo with the Gaytones Pray For Me UK 1972 7 High Note HS 058-A Sonia Pottinger

Audley Rollins Aud

Social source share

Yes i have the uk 45 that is what is on the credits and artist title. Delano Stewart did the vocal on two separate uk 45s

Hold up, we're getting mixed up here I think.  The B side of the UK First Generation is Dave Barker (She Want it)

The one you are on about, isn't it credited to The Gaysetters on UK - and nothing to do with First Generation.  Other side of Delano Stewart (Rocking Sensation)

Is it on the other side of First Generation on jamaican Gayfeet, is that what you meant?

Social source share

You put a list up 014b is as exactly as ive said. Gaytones are credited in a uk smash 45 swing and dine but that is a vocal

I know what 014 is I was just asking why you were telling me what 014 is?

Swing And Dine on Smash is The Melodians, I still have that.

Social source share

Guest Kelbot

Hope I've uploaded the photos correctly apologies in advance if not!

This is my partner Phils record.

We were looking for it after hearing it on Work Your Soul Vol 2 CD. Had it for a couple of years I think.

Hope this helps.

Lee-Ann

post-17571-0-99408300-1406312140_thumb.j

post-17571-0-69334200-1406312195_thumb.j

Social source share

Guest Kelbot

Hi Pete just played it and it's not an instrumental of Give Him Up. It's a bit of a strange ditty! ha ha part instrumental with female vocals in the background singing "la la la la". Heard worse though! Hope that helps.

Lee-Ann

Social source share

Hi Pete just played it and it's not an instrumental of Give Him Up. It's a bit of a strange ditty! ha ha part instrumental with female vocals in the background singing "la la la la". Heard worse though! Hope that helps.

Lee-Ann

It does indeed.  Thanks again.  First one I've ever seen on Jamaican.

Social source share

Guest Kelbot

Your welcome. Funnily enough when we looked for it the only mention we could find was a thread here on Soul Source saying the British release was on High Note so we were looking for that one but he managed to get this one from eBay.

Lee-Ann

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!