Rhythm & Soul (Northern & Modern)

Hi, Soul Diggers,

can't complain at this glorious weather can we? All you need is some good music to go with it, a soundtrack to the good times. Here's a list of Northern and Modern soul sevens, if there's anything here that you'd like to buy then please can you send a Reply.

1. Dial "L" For Lonely - MADELINE WILSON (Samar)............Mint-...............£130

2. Got To Be Your Lover - THE PROFILES (Duo)..................Mint-................£65

3. Lonely In Love - BOBBY HUTTON (Philips demo).............VG++....................£100

4. Almost / I've Been Fooled Before - JIMMY DELPHS (Carla)...................VG++......................£25

5. Happiest Girl In The World - PLUS 4 (Warner Bros.)...............VG++.....................£40

6. A Bench In The Park - THE JIVE FIVE (United Artists)............VG++..........top summer soul, Northern all the way, no ice creams on the dance floor..............please!................£15

7. (Do The) Discotheque - CHUBBY CHECKER (Parkway)..............VG++...................alternate title for "At The Discotheque".................£30

8. Girls Are Out To Get You - THE FASCINATIONS (UK Mojo)...............Mint-.................£15

9. I Got To Love You Baby - JESSE BOONE & THE ASTROS (Soul-Po-Tion).................VG++..............£25

10. My Woman's Love - OUT-OF-SIGHTS (Saru)....................VG++........................£60

11. Sugar - BETTY EVERETT (Uni)...............VG++...........picture sleeve, Dutch issue..............................£15

12. What Would You Do - OTIS BROWN & BAND (Ole)....................VG++...........................£40

13. A Most Unusual Feeling - JAMES GALT (Aurora)...................Mint-..............I really do recommend this not-to-dear semi-rarity, in its fusion of doo wop into Northern Soul. I've always loved those bass vocals such as Melvin Franklin's chipping in with well-timed phrasing but here the bass-man kicks it all off with his "You know it's such a................" then the front men jump in with "Most unusual feeling" echoing loud and clear over a constant Northern beat at a fairly brisk pace. Needs playing not just me saying...........................£30

14. I Need Somebody - EMANUEL LASKY (NPC)...............Mint-...............................£15

15. Whole Lotta Woman - THE RADIANTS (Chess)................VG++.........................£15

16. Hold On A Little Longer / Don't Walk Away - CARL CARLTON (Back Beat).............Mint-..............Carl cut many good sides that dancers could certainly appreciate, both sides of this won't disappoint those with loose limbs and twinkle toes either......................£25

17. Faith / Love Bug Got A Bear Hug - MELVIN DAVIS (Mala)................VG++.........................£25

18. Bread & Water - MIKE FINNIGAN & THE SURFS (Parkway demo)...............Mint-.............very clean demo that doesn't seem to have spent any time on deck row but DOES deserve a fresh start, its only offence was being a damn good Northern Soul stomper...................£30

19. If You Go / Count To Ten - DEREK MARTIN (Sue).................VG++.....................not many singles were cut by Derek, count them on one hand, but there's strong evidence all of them are worth having in your collection; this terrific Northern dancer backed with a Beat Ballad B-side will be money well spent by anyone who genuinely loves soul vinyl........................£45

20. What Can A Man Do - BEN E. KING (Atco)................Mint-............................Northern Soul has many heroes to be grateful to and this man has done us proud down the years, this strong uptempo dancer is right in there with his best.................£30

21. Yes, My Goodness, Yes - AL PERKINS (Atco)......................VG++...................£20

22. Why Don't They Leave Us Alone? - CARL CARLTON (Back Beat).....................Mint-.............it's m'laddo again with a fantastic upbeat, skip-paced Northern dancer that always sounds great played out, if DJ's were more confident of themselves, you'd hear class sides like this more often......................£20

23. Beg Me - CHUCK JACKSON (Wand)....................VG++......................£20

24. Sock It To 'Em J.B. - REX GARVIN & THE MIGHTY CRAVERS (UK red Atlantic)............Mint-..............Very clean copy......................£25

25. More Love That's What We Need - THE GOSPEL CLASSICS (Checker)................Magnificent Northern Soul statement, spread the good feeling around by playing this gem....................VG++......................£130

26. Calling For Your Love - THE ENTICERS (UK red Atlantic).............Mint-...................a big piece of ammunition for a DJ who's play list contains nothing but class, YOU WILL NOT FAIL TO PLEASE WITH THIS BRILLIANT CROSSOVER DANCER, one that you don't see very often, this is the week when you MUST treat yourself................................£40

27. Do The Tighten Up - MAJOR LANCE (Dakar).................VG++........................£35

28. Stay Close To Me - FIVE STAIRSTEPS (Curtom)................Mint-...........................£15

29. Where Will You Go When The Party's Over - ARCHIE BELL & THE DRELLS (Philadelphia Int.)...................VG++.................UK, 1976 issue..........................£25

30. Deeper (In Love With You) - THE O'JAYS (Neptune).....................VG++..................total Philly Northern classic............................£15

Many thanks for looking at the list, wishing you the best..................

Cheers, Carl (Beatin' Rhythm).

Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 0
  • Views 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source