Album Track Carvers

Greety

Do any SS members out there know of someone who can transfer album tracks on to 7" acetates for me.

Reason being I'm getting fed up with dragging albums all over the place for dj'ing and also giving certain tracks off a particular album, undue wear and tear.

Some idea of price and sound quality would be helpful. And a contact phone number please.

If you want to be discreet, it might be best to pm me.

Thanks

Dave

Social source share

But If you DJ with album only track carvers then in effect you are playing Boots. Isn't it worth lugging a few albums around to have the satisfaction of playing the original. Surely a typical spot wont contain too many album tracks so cant see a reasonn for the carvers

No!..........................most album tracks have a lower volume than the 45 and with some of the more technical mixers/amplificators by the time you`ve found the volume knob (with half the dancers looking at you and you feeling a plonker) the track has half finished.

Much better off cutting a carver, ive been doing  it for ages.......some gigs where you only get 45 minutes its just not worth dragging multiple boxes around anyway.   :thumbsup:

Having said all that, last year I did a full hour set with album only tracks because I wanted to see if I could do it, it worked out very good thankfully because I didn`t take any 45s with me. :thumbsup:

Also.....your not DJ`ing entirely with carvers, just the odd 1 or 2.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

But If you DJ with album only track carvers then in effect you are playing Boots. Isn't it worth lugging a few albums around to have the satisfaction of playing the original. Surely a typical spot wont contain too many album tracks so cant see a reason for the carvers

think this is where the 'Original only' argument falls down... basically because its very HEAVY to carry around!!! dont get me wrong, I'm 100% all the way at home, but if I had to lug stuff as some of these Dj's do about like a 50 box of LP's, I'd certainly look to make that easier...

Mal :(

Social source share

If ypu can't alter the volume quickly amd efficiently then I would suggest you shouldn't be behind te decks. Many 45's are recorded at different levels so no different really.

Dave, how many do you want doing and what tracks? I can send whoever the sound files for you if you pay em. Just let them know me or someone else would be sending the files etc? I can only do it really at weekends.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Timmion charge 33 euros or thereabouts for a two sided acetate. Proper acetates with metal centre. Better sound quality than carvers too in my experience.

You have to send the sound file, best quality possible, wav for instance via sendspace or something similar.

https://www.timmion.com/cutting/dubs/

Hi Chalky.

Sounds far too technical for me mate! I can't even do soundclips on here lol!

I know it sounds so old fashioned, but I would rather send the albums off with the tracks listed that I want and then wait for the postman.

Social source share

If ypu can't alter the volume quickly amd efficiently then I would suggest you shouldn't be behind te decks. Many 45's are recorded at different levels so no different really.

Dave, how many do you want doing and what tracks? I can send whoever the sound files for you if you pay em. Just let them know me or someone else would be sending the files etc? I can only do it really at weekends.

Thanks a lot Chalky. If I can't get it sorted myself I'll pm you, I only want a couple doing mate. No big rush either.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

think this is where the 'Original only' argument falls down... basically because its very HEAVY to carry around!!! dont get me wrong, I'm 100% all the way at home, but if I had to lug stuff as some of these Dj's do about like a 50 box of LP's, I'd certainly look to make that easier...

Sorry Mal but i just dont get it. The fact that its too heavy to carry LPs around hardly makes the OVO principle fall down.I would as a punter feel let down if a guy turned up with Several carvers of LP only tracks and started spinning them.

Social source share

I'm not really bothered Patto. I know I have the album, the guy who has booked me will know I have the album, and if anybody is that bothered, somehow, I'll prove I have the album.

As I said in my original post, this is all about saving wear and tear on certain tracks and for my convenience.

Greety thats fine mate if your not bothered and happy with it but i wouldnt be happy paying to hear them.The fact that you can prove you have the original LP is the same as saying its ok to play a carver of a 45 because i have the original at home.Whats the difference apart from the size of the disc. The only carver i think is ok is an unissued track.I know lots disagree these days but some respect for the Scene and the Punters has to be preserved in my opinion,which is more important that the weight of the box.Don't want to come accross the wrong way as the odd legit reissue at the right venue doesn't bother me too much but i hate to see a guy using carvers

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Roger Banks and Rob Smith have been lugging their merchandise around every weekend since the Roman times,

they sweat & toil & grimace and still have the same enthusiasm.... good on em'

• Helpful 2
Social source share

But If you DJ with album only track carvers then in effect you are playing Boots. Isn't it worth lugging a few albums around to have the satisfaction of playing the original. Surely a typical spot wont contain too many album tracks so cant see a reasonn for the carvers

Can i say this Patto that i know for a fact that 'certain' dj's have the originals but choose to play carvers of the same titles

rather than wear & tear of a 4 5 or 6K tune.... but i thought that was common knowledge :)

Social source share

Can i say this Patto that i know for a fact that 'certain' dj's have the originals but choose to play carvers of the same titles

rather than wear & tear of a 4 5 or 6K tune.... but i thought that was common knowledge :)

Yes thats true i know that myself, i suppose some DJs are allowed and some are villified for it ,all depends who you are. If you are a top DJ booked for a high profile spot at a quality venue because you have the tunes on original vinyl then you got to play em regardless of the price tag. If the D.J doesnt want to play his rare expensive records then fine don't D.J

Social source share

The actual thread wasn`t started to see who has the biggest D!@k it was an appeal for anyone who can get album tracks put on 45.  Whether you mind or whether your somehow offended by someone who want`s to keep his box of LPs at home is not the point. 

Social source share

No Dick swinging here from me mate. You do what you want. I'm just expressing my opinion that as a punter i would like to see the LP only tracks played from their original LP. I cant understand paying Say a hundred quid to get 5 carvers done of LP tracks that you already have and that are essentially boots if played out.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Roger Banks and Rob Smith have been lugging their merchandise around every weekend since the Roman times,

they sweat & toil & grimace and still have the same enthusiasm.... good on em'

That`s because its merchandise!  :yes:

Social source share

No Dick swinging here from me mate. You do what you want. I'm just expressing my opinion that as a punter i would like to see the LP only tracks played from their original LP. I cant understand paying Say a hundred quid to get 5 carvers done of LP tracks that you already have and that are essentially boots if played out.

Maybe start a thread about it then Patto.  :thumbsup:

Social source share

Don't all dj's have a mate who carries their lp play box anyway who gets in for nowt ? ;)

Spend £70 on one of those record bags on wheels , can get the lps in and a box of 7"s

She`s usually called a wife :shhh:

Social source share

Most top DJs have played carvers of one sort or another for a long time...........I had to dig this old stager out.....that used to belong to a proper old stager!

post-7917-0-76474400-1406310779_thumb.jp

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Doubt theirs that much weight difference between lp and acetate. :)

OVO all the way please.

Loved to see lp covers sticking out of a box behind the decks when i was out.

Edited by NCFC
Social source share

Doubt theirs that much weight difference between lp and acetate. :)

OVO all the way please.

Loved to see lp covers sticking out of a box behind the decks when i was out.

Hi Notts County, how ya doin?

Thing is with LP's they are ok if it's the first track you want to dj with. 95% of dj's i see out only have 45's

Social source share

Hi Notts County, how ya doin?

Thing is with LP's they are ok if it's the first track you want to dj with. 95% of dj's i see out only have 45's

Norwich City btw  :) fine thanks.

95% of djs are a little bit blinkered then(in my book).

Social source share

Your a braver man then i for admiting to carvering your lp collection up.Personally i think it`s a waste of money,you could buy more good lp`s and double up your collection then get loads of grief when playing carvers.i always play/bring lp`s to gigs if i`m djing ,yes it`s hard graft carrying 2 boxes and your luggage if staying over. Ways round it if your not driving or being driven, use a record bag and just take 15 max. There not heavy to carry over your shoulder and for an hour set you only need 20 records to play out.So with your 45 box,your sorted. Re low recording then 45`s,not hard to turn gain/master/ or volume up . Then adjust back down for 45`s.Get a mate to stand at back of venue as your sound man ,job done.

I`ve heard Timmion are the best for carvers but vinyl carvers in London are pretty good as well(so i`ve been told).Better order a tin hat while your at it lol

• Helpful 1
Social source share

She`s usually called a wife :shhh:

Exactly my wife insist on lugging her tracks everywhere she DJs rather than have me drop them or loose them. Maybe because the time I did oblige I locked the back door and left the box on the doorstep. 

Social source share

Your a braver man then i for admiting to carvering your lp collection up.Personally i think it`s a waste of money,you could buy more good lp`s and double up your collection then get loads of grief when playing carvers.i always play/bring lp`s to gigs if i`m djing ,yes it`s hard graft carrying 2 boxes and your luggage if staying over. Ways round it if your not driving or being driven, use a record bag and just take 15 max. There not heavy to carry over your shoulder and for an hour set you only need 20 records to play out.So with your 45 box,your sorted. Re low recording then 45`s,not hard to turn gain/master/ or volume up . Then adjust back down for 45`s.Get a mate to stand at back of venue as your sound man ,job done.

I`ve heard Timmion are the best for carvers but vinyl carvers in London are pretty good as well(so i`ve been told).Better order a tin hat while your at it lol

2O singles for a dj?... but what if you get 3 punters ask you for requests and you say "not brought em', only got 20".... the looks you'd get!

I reckon a dj should have at least a hundred tunes at hand. Oh, and would a sound man be on the minimum wage? :)

Social source share

Oh in that perfect world :lol:

Social source share

That's just bloody lazy then Mal and as for the sound as an excuse then some 45s have lo Hifi so would you cut a carver just get a higher quality sound - You either play OVO or you don't! Its that simple!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Oh in that perfect world :lol:

NO Steve its about being true to your conviction.

Using a carver as an excuse to get a higher hifi sound is also bloody lazy because as a Dj you should learn how to use the equipment to keep the volume stable. This Thread is giving the old argument of why don't you just use an ipod or laptop credence! Whats the difference between a carver and a burned CD  or using a stick - NONE!

Social source share

Other side of the coin being .....soul police saying you are playing a boot cos we only have your word that you own the actual lp .

I am thinking of getting carvers made of my rare 45's so the originals are preserved from possible damage or even theft ;)

Social source share

Other side of the coin being .....soul police saying you are playing a boot cos we only have your word that you own the actual lp .

I am thinking of getting carvers made of my rare 45's so the originals are preserved from possible damage or even theft ;)

Why not just put the rare stuff on cd and play from that with the record just going round on the turntable? Cheaper and no different really, more sensible option really especially with styrene and some of the tackle used by some promoters.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Isn't it common knowledge that Soul Sam plays carvers of some of his rare originals ?

Not just Sam!

And what was the original thread question again?

Social source share

That's just bloody lazy then Mal and as for the sound as an excuse then some 45s have lo Hifi so would you cut a carver just get a higher quality sound - You either play OVO or you don't! Its that simple!

never mentioned 45s Steve, my comments aimed at Lps, I don't know mate, I'm not a dj, but I do know lugging a 100 weight of box about is a pain in the arse, that said if older Djs are still doing it, then it's OK then....

I prefer OVO myself, it's just the silly arguments about it that makes me resist, if this bloke wants to cut carvers, then good for him, he must have a good reason, either that or his doctors told him to keep off the left leg after the last hip replacement...

Malcolm

Social source share

Sorry Mal but i just dont get it. The fact that its too heavy to carry LPs around hardly makes the OVO principle fall down.I would as a punter feel let down if a guy turned up with Several carvers of LP only tracks and started spinning them.

Must be weird seeing everyone else dancing and you sitting down all upset because it's not being played off an album.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!