Tommy Dent Soul Thing On Cobblestone

Hi everyone, I am convinced I saw a copy of Tommy Dent for sale in the last couple of weeks. I am certain the seller had about 5/6 top tunes for sale. He described the record as one of maybe 4/5 Soul Sam and Arthur Fenn were playing copies. I was talking last night and Butch was added to the list.

Can anyone help please?? Much appreciated. Thanks.

Social source share

There's been 3 copies spun in NYC for 15+ years, and actually holding a 1968 photo of Tommy right now, we've spoken to him and tried to convey how highly we regard all his work, he's amazingly interlinked to many artists we've worked with over the years and a classic example of the countless unsung greats of 60's soul recording.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Never heard anyone in this country other than Sam play Tommy Dent, Arthur and Butch have never had copies,

not certain but isn't one in Germany, 'tother in New York?

You might not have heard them play it but how do you know they haven't got or had a copy. I'm not saying they have btw simply you just don't know unless you have inside information?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Was only talking about this Record to Arthur Fenn in Rimini ,, ,, last weekend,,, the story goes,, a spare came along recently apparently and was snapped up by "Honky" NYC ,, who already owned one and needed    to up grade his roughish  to mint,,, so alledgedly he has TWO  copies!!

Personally ive only ever heard Soul Sam play it out,,,!  Awsome record  !! :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Another example of rarity over quality in my humble opinion, if it was twenty quid no one would want it.  :excl:

Phil, it is both quality and rare, if they were £20 i'd buy the lot, it is that damn good. I think we've had this disagreement before,

oh no, sorry, that was Johnathon Capri. Those two tunes would paralyse anything you care to mention.... :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Fantastic record. Both sides. I had no idea it was rare the first time I heard it in 2000, but instantly loved it. It took me 10 years to find a copy.

I missed out on the copy that Haim Kenig sold on eBay in October 2006. Pomonkey in this thread outbid me on it.

As far as I know, six copies are documented.

First off, the three copies in NYC that have been there for years (Matt, Honky, Pomonkey). As someone hinted at earlier, the most recent one on eBay (February 2012) went to a NYC collector that already had a copy. He might still have two copies unless he's sold/traded one of them. So that's four copies in NYC.

I've got one copy in my collection that I bought on eBay in April 2010 from a US seller after asking the seller to end the auction early.

Another copy amazingly turned up on eBay in April 2010 from a swedish seller (not me!). The 45 was found in Sweden in an ex-publicists record collection, it appeared briefly on eBay, but was withdrawn within 24 hours and that 45 was sent to Manship for auction instead. This is the copy which now resides with Soul Sam.

Any more copies to add? :g:

Edited by Sebastian
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

You might not have heard them play it but how do you know they haven't got or had a copy. I'm not saying they have btw simply you just don't know unless you have inside information?

If Butch or Arthur had this tune at anytime they would have played it.... surely! It is a masterpiece, so why keep a masterpiece under lock & key?

Social source share

Fantastic record. Both sides. I had no idea it was rare the first time I heard it in 2000, but instantly loved it. It took me 10 years to find a copy.

I missed out on the copy that Haim Kenig sold on eBay in October 2006. Pomonkey in this thread outbid me on it.

First off, the three copies in NYC that have been there for years (Matt, Honky, Pomonkey). As someone hinted at earlier, the most recent one on eBay (February 2012) went to a NYC collector that already had a copy. He might still have two copies unless he's sold/traded one of them. So that's four copies in NYC.

I've got one copy in my collection that I bought on eBay in April 2010 from a US seller after asking the seller to end the auction early.

Another copy amazingly turned up on eBay in April 2010 from a swedish seller (not me!). The 45 was found in Sweden in an ex-publicists record collection, it appeared briefly on eBay, but was withdrawn within 24 hours and that 45 was sent to Manship for auction instead. This is the copy which now resides with Soul Sam.

Well documented sir, i am convinced there is only the one copy in the UK

Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

And I'm still sulking Sebastian for knocking back my offer

Social source share

Another example of rarity over quality in my humble opinion, if it was twenty quid no one would want it.  :excl:

have to agree with you, though it would have fit in well with things like Before 2001 back in 1976, maybe one that sounds better loud

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Sean Haydon

Well documented sir, i am convinced there is only the one copy in the UK

I know of another copy in the UK.

Social source share

If Butch or Arthur had this tune at anytime they would have played it.... surely! It is a masterpiece, so why keep a masterpiece under lock & key?

Maybe they've got better taste.  :lol: Sorry, just can't understand the plaudits, it's just ok.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

have to agree with you, though it would have fit in well with things like Before 2001 back in 1976, maybe one that sounds better loud

Yes Pete I must agree, that has happened to me before and I have always held up my hands and apologised.

Social source share

It's far from a masterpiece. It's a mess of a record IMO. Now I know we love the music because it is often far from the polished gem but this is simply poor IMO and it wouldn't matter if I never heard it again. Have never liked it since I first heard it. The other side is better but only just.

• Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Thanks chaps very informative. AND b*llocks. MUST have dreamed it.

There was the other Tommy dent up for offers on here this yr ,maybe that is it ?

Edited by pikeys dog
swearing - workplace filters
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

It's far from a masterpiece. It's a mess of a record IMO. Now I know we love the music because it is often far from the polished gem but this is simply poor IMO and it wouldn't matter if I never heard it again. Have never liked it since I first heard it. The other side is better but only just.

You and me, both it's awful :yes:

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

proper banging dance soul.........frankly it,s lost in Sams set (no disrespect to Sam).......needs to be played in a set full of this type of sound..........theres only one place for that.............playing this alongside that pile of poop United sounds does it no favours........like putting Mike Tyson in with Tom Daley .......needs to be loud and heavy. If l never heard that United Sounds again it,d be to soon.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

For me, the twanging guitar backing just blows Eric Clapton out of the water, someone PLEASE support TD with me,

it is quite simply a dancers delight.... but you have to be wherever Sam is dj-ing at to appreciate it :)

I,m with ya mate..........it,s a LETS GET OUT AND GIVE IT SOME!! tune...........thats probably why the la la go to sleep gang don,t like it........

Social source share

United Sounds has to be one of the finest records discovered in the last few years, absolutely amazing record in every way...when I hear this its the old stampede to the dance floor, if I aint there already...i do not have enough words to say how much I love this record....sorry Terry lol  :lol:

Best Russ

• Helpful 2
Social source share

For me, the twanging guitar backing just blows Eric Clapton out of the water, someone PLEASE support TD with me,

it is quite simply a dancers delight.... but you have to be wherever Sam is dj-ing at to appreciate it :)

Its niter music. 3am music for the dancefloor.The sort of tune that doesn't work at home ,when you play it your missus straight after United Sounds.

Social source share

Its in no way a masterpiece, not exactly classy! Pure club music but it is brilliant club music when its loud and you're dancing.

I know of a copy in the uk since the 90s.

I don't like to swear but it's the dogs testicles, nok yer sox off perfection :thumbsup:

Social source share

love it.... first heard it on honkys free cd he sent out on here but always request it from sam and he told us it was the only one in the country Nye 12..might not be a polished soul record but it makes me run to the floor :yes:

Edited by spacehopper
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

places that play the really polished lovely lovely  middle class soul tunes like united sounds   are failing  or at best boring

Social source share

places that play the really polished lovely lovely  middle class soul tunes like united sounds   are failing  or at best boring

From an allnighter prospective, and believe me, I have been to a LOT even though I don't go now, you'd have to take the Tommy Dent record over United Sounds every time because the prime purpose of attending is to dance all night and STAY AWAKE, not sit back and admire a 'soulful vocal'.  Records like United Sound, they're so boring, why anyone would put them on a nighter playlist unless they wanted to put people to sleep.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Records like United Sound, they're so boring, why anyone would put them on a nighter playlist unless they wanted to put people to sleep.

Speculation and opinions are all cool and that, but I guess facts are facts......the United Sounds simply packs the floor everytime. It was requested at Soul Funk-tion and was arguably the most popular tune of that quite awesome 'nighter......it actually falls a little out of my normal playlist style, but that makes it all the more exciting for me, when I can play it and fill the dancefloor. Both the Cobblestone and Rapda Tommy Dent's are quite messy to my ears, but having said that, I'd happily file both of 'em if I could.

Edited by Greg Belson
Social source share

Speculation and opinions are all cool and that, but I guess facts are facts......the United Sounds simply packs the floor everytime. It was requested at Soul Funk-tion and was arguably the most popular tune of that quite awesome 'nighter......it actually falls a little out of my normal playlist style, but that makes it all the more exciting for me, when I can play it and fill the dancefloor. Both the Cobblestone and Rapda Tommy Dent's are quite messy to my ears, but having said that, I'd happily file both of 'em if I could.

Sorry Greg, you have to understand that it's still 1977 in my brain  :lol:

I get the qualities of the record - I do.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

From an allnighter prospective, and believe me, I have been to a LOT even though I don't go now, you'd have to take the Tommy Dent record over United Sounds every time because the prime purpose of attending is to dance all night and STAY AWAKE, not sit back and admire a 'soulful vocal'.  Records like United Sound, they're so boring, why anyone would put them on a nighter playlist unless they wanted to put people to sleep.

One of the reasons pete ...it,s the perception out and about that somehow these type of tunes are err! superior in some way,classier more sophisticated........that may well be.........for home consumption they,re fine. When l first heard  tommy dent...it was wow tune!!......someone had to point out united sounds to me it was that unremarkable.........so one is instant    one dosn,t register....thats my  radar........we,re all different and others i,m sure will  have this thought in reverse....and thats fine.............atb  t

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Sorry Greg, you have to understand that it's still 1977 in my brain  :lol:

I get the qualities of the record - I do.

good point pete...........it,s a horses for courses thing.........when i,m out,i,m out,out.......so the out tune stands out.....as i,m never in listening to the in tunes,they are unremarkable out..........you got that :D

Social source share

One of the reasons pete ...it,s the perception out and about that somehow these type of tunes are err! superior in some way,classier more sophisticated........that may well be.........for home consumption they,re fine. When l first heard  tommy dent...it was wow tune!!......someone had to point out united sounds to me it was that unremarkable.........so one is instant    one dosn,t register....thats my  radar........we,re all different and others i,m sure will  have this thought in reverse....and thats fine.............atb  t

And that's why we all have personal favourite records and memories - all of mine are in those Old School Northern podcasts, records from the past which hit me and stayed with me - instant hits if you like - some are even similar to United Sounds e.g. Life Tell Me Why sort of record, but they are outnumbered by what I will get crucified for calling "proper Northern" which in my definition is uptempo 60's soul.  If you offered me £1000 to hum United Sounds I would lose the bet.

Social source share

Is this UNITED SOUNDS available to hear anywhere?

Butch is still hammering his copy, so best hear it nice and loud wherever he's playing, rather than relying on computer speakers and a rip from a G+ copy. I'm sure I'll give it a few spins too whilst I'm around. too And Mick H will more than likely do the honours....a fairly recent pick up for the fellow.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!