Idris Muhammad, R.i.p

---------------------------- Idris Muhammad, R.I.P. ----------------------

Idris Muhammad, whose drumming crossed over several musical styles including funk, jazz, and rhythm and blues, died Tuesday (July 29). He was 74.

Muhammad's death was confirmed by close friend Dan Williams, who got to know Muhammad through Williams' Jazz Journey concert series sponsored by the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Foundation. Williams learned of Muhammad's death through family members in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. A converted Muslim, Muhammad was immediately buried in accordance with the traditions of Islam, Williams said.

His cause of death has not yet been confirmed, but Williams and other friends noted that Muhammad had been receiving dialysis treatment in New Orleans – where he had returned from New York City to retire back in 2011.

To read more on his life follow link to his obituary in New Orleans, The Times-Picayune

https://youtu.be/BGLS_beriOc

Edited by Dave Thorley
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Sad news Dave, legendary drummer, love the Turn This Mutha Out set, had it for years and play it regular away, full length "Heaven" to this day is awesome, and showcases the immense skills of Idris and the session men that did the rounds during that period R.I.P. Idris

Kev

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!