New York Record Shopping

Hiya all

Could do with some help ?

Wife and me are going to New York in September and she's given me half a day / day to do some record shopping can any body help with shops selling northern .

After that going to that big play ground called orlando ,so if any body can help with shops in New York and orlando be great full

Many thanks (hope fully )

Take it easy and KTF

Cam

Social source share

Don't know if he is still there, was a long time since me and my mate were there, Lou Silvani in  Riverdale, North Bronx, "Times Square Records" could be worth a visit, you will have to let him know you are coming though

Kev

Edited by kev cane
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Went in feb this year for a few days bleaker bobs in Greenwich also one round the corner can't remember the name go the a thrift shop in brocklyn called the thing all recs 2 for a dollar came away with about 30 aint it baby miricales & beat me to the punch mary wells first 2 I picked up check it out on YouTube you will be gob smacked

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Look for Academy Recorfs in Brooklyn. Bedford-Stuyvesant.

A1 in Rast Village may still be around,, and there was an interesting one called Tropicalia in Furs just off 2nd Avenue in East Village, round about 4th Street, maybe 5th, on the East side of the avenue.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

As a longtime New Yorker, I have to chuckle sadly at the subject line of this post. New York is hands-down the WORST city for record stores in the U.S. Bleecker Bobs is gone, Finyl Vinyl is LONG gone, Tropicalia in Furs is gone. Lotsa luck!

Agreed :thumbsup:

Academy in Brooklyn ( Greempoint) has 4 boxes of 45s, nowt Northern and I'd like to think I pulled all that was worthwhile otherwise.

Pretty much the same at Academy on 12th, few more but not great selection.

Good luck at the Thing, fun digging if hope keeps you alive, Probably be dashed after an hour or so :)

Social source share

Think I went to one called A1 Records in  or near Greenwich village , If you asked they had a couple of boxes of Soul 45's didn't get anything rare but they were good prices , had lots of great LP's though , whatever you do you'll have a great time I'm sure , I took my lad for his 21st the 2nd time and I'm trying to find an exscuse for 3rd  :lol:

:thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

ask dave rimmer he knows one of the natives now living here, say no more !!!!!

PS he might not tell you

Edited by Garry Huxley
Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

callifornia  where i found my best hits not in big city's but small town thrift, recycling, junk shops, turned $900 into near £3.000 and having about £2.000 for my own collection (long since sold) This was bout 10 yrs ago.

Can we upgrade this to check out stores USA Mexico South America as i hope to start crate diggin again please.

Garry

Social source share

As a longtime New Yorker, I have to chuckle sadly at the subject line of this post. New York is hands-down the WORST city for record stores in the U.S. Bleecker Bobs is gone, Finyl Vinyl is LONG gone, Tropicalia in Furs is gone. Lotsa luck!

Bleeker St Bob has packed up.? He was not a happy bunny when we didn't buy anything.He did produce JM's guide from under the counter though........ :lol: .and we'd disturbed his liquid lunch in the pub nearby. :lol:

Social source share

One NYC shop to avoid is Second Hand Rose near Union Square. When I first started going there, I got loads of bargains but the vinyl is greatly overpriced nowadays.

I'd love to go up the stairs in the store though - the owner once told me there were 000's of 45's up there and they had never got round to sorting though them.

Social source share

Crate dig ! Always the best anywhere you are or go !

Not when you're looking for Soul in Seoul!

No English street names, so took ages to find this place ( In Seoul outlets selling the same product e.g. vinyl, sewing machines, musical instruments etc are usually grouped together under one roof in a huge block ) which turned out to be pretty much a soul vacuum. There is another place there selling vinyl but I didn't have time to find it.

post-19579-0-32067000-1407529306_thumb.j

post-19579-0-37369000-1407529369_thumb.j

post-19579-0-96422700-1407529412_thumb.j

post-19579-0-09675400-1407529835_thumb.j

post-19579-0-15893500-1407530573_thumb.j

Edited by autumnstoned
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Matt was right above. NYC has to be the worst major city for record shops. The rent is too damn high!!! However on the 3rd Saturday in September if you don't mind a 2 hour car trip to Allentown PA is the bi-annual Allentown 45 show. Lots of 45's there to buy. Bring a fat wallet!!!

Social source share

Think I went to one called A1 Records in  or near Greenwich village , If you asked they had a couple of boxes of Soul 45's didn't get anything rare but they were good prices , had lots of great LP's though , whatever you do you'll have a great time I'm sure , I took my lad for his 21st the 2nd time and I'm trying to find an exscuse for 3rd  :lol:

:thumbsup:

Don't forget to bring PIES!! if you do :thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Matt was right above. NYC has to be the worst major city for record shops. The rent is too damn high!!! However on the 3rd Saturday in September if you don't mind a 2 hour car trip to Allentown PA is the bi-annual Allentown 45 show. Lots of 45's there to buy. Bring a fat wallet!!!

And, if you're in Allentown, avoid The Count.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'm doing Chicago, Detroit, Ann Arbor, Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo on a Motown/Chess/Jazz theme over the next couple of weeks.

Any advice of places to go would be welcome.

i like the idea of the thrift stores. Are the records generally sorted and price or is it simply digging in to the piles and hoping some soul turns up?

Social source share

I'm doing Chicago, Detroit, Ann Arbor, Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo on a Motown/Chess/Jazz theme over the next couple of weeks.

Any advice of places to go would be welcome.

i like the idea of the thrift stores. Are the records generally sorted and price or is it simply digging in to the piles and hoping some soul turns up?

There's a few record shops in Ann Arbor..................well there was 9 years ago!!

In the MC you must visit PEOPLES.............run by Brad Hales, a great friendly guy..........not much he doesn't know about MC music!!!

Honest Johns bar is a must for r&r...................good luck

Social source share

I have to agree with Peoples in Detroit. Ask if you can go upstairs as there was a lot of unsorted stuff and I pulled out a New Holidays - Yes No maybe So in pretty clean shape and gobbled it up when I was told the price. There were lots of interesting things there but as the wife was waiting and I could not convince to have a wander round down town Detroit I only had an hour or so there. I keep meaning to go back.

If the US thrifts are anything like the Canadian ones if you are not there when the records come out you do not have much chance

Social source share

ask dave rimmer he knows one of the natives now living here, say no more !!!!!

PS he might not tell you

As Matt says, there isn't really anywhere specific left to go. (And there are enough people in NY collecting to have long hoovered up all the good stuff.)

When we were there last year I didn't buy a single record in NY.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice on Detroit. People's Records was as described and Brad Hales really helpful and knowledgable.

only my wife stopped me setting up home in the shop to go through all the unsorted records. I found her a cool cafe and a vintage shop to keep her amused but even this wore thin after a while.

Logan Hardware in Chicago, Corner Records in Grand Rapids and Satellite Records in Kalamazoo were also places that I picked up a lot of stuff at good prices. Again crate digging and test playing the records were the key to success.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

A crazy thought for you. Over here, craigslist is the best way to quickly buy and sell stuff. It doesn't cost anything to put up a want ad. I would think an ad like "record collector paying cash for soul 45s" might get a response or  two. Obviously you would want to be careful- meet in a public place, see if potential sellers can send you pictures, don't flash the cash in public. You could put your listing up before you arrive, and renew it after every 48 hours. Maybe a little too adventurous for a visit? 

Social source share

I was over in NY two years ago and came across a massive flea market full of records, I was on my way to watch Man City in the. Mad  Hatters City supporters bar in lower Manhattan. It was two blocks away from the bar and it would have killed me to pass it so I had a quick look. Some good stuff and all mint $2 each £20 - £40 records mixed in with Motown etc. I missed the first ten minutes of the match which City won 2-0 at Newcastle and went on to win the title. Called back to the market after the match ended up with 50 records ( god knows what I missed) and got a right bollocking off the missis for being late back ha ha. 

So it's well worth checking out, I also meet some US collectors there who wanted me to call at their pads to buy of them but didn't have the time.

back over in November so leave me something.

Social source share

New York and Orlando are pants. Too many Brits visiting. You could try the record king - see piccies. I dropped in on way to Airport a year ago - I think it's in Queens if I remember rightly. I only got the chance to see a fraction of the 45's on show

post-14973-0-59059600-1409477572_thumb.jpost-14973-0-43058000-1409477643_thumb.jpost-14973-0-87011200-1409477753_thumb.j

If you want a laugh in Orlando go to Rock 'n' Roll Recrods - used to be tres bon - now more expensive than EBAY. Retro Records also just for nostagic purposes - all of these shops are totally picked over

post-14973-0-09405600-1409477918_thumb.jpost-14973-0-72628000-1409477875_thumb.j

post-14973-0-29361200-1409478058_thumb.j 

It's worth digging in Thrift Stores, flea markets and Antique Malls - I did find a huge lot of 45's and Albums in an Antique mall around 20 miles north of Orlando $2 a piece - I pulled all the Soul 45s but there were 1000's of Soul Albums if you collect these. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!