James Brown Biog - Anyone Seen It Yet?

Pete S

Watched it on the internet and like most 'bio-pics' it suffers from not really showing the complex personality of the man or the excitement of his stage persona very well. It also had an irritating narrative style of jumping about from decade to decade - very annoying. To be honest I watched about an hour and then switched off my laptop and went out and did something less boring instead.

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

I haven't seen the bio-pic but I did see JB at the Birmingham Odeon. (1980s I think it was). A very meagre crowd but he put on a great show.

Did Mick Jagger put up all the money to make this biopic? Or was he just the front man for a syndicate?

I don't know how many times James Brown and the Stones appeared on the same stage but one famous occasion was the Tami Show which was filmed in 1964. The story goes that the Stones were given the choice whether to go on before or after JB. Seems they chose to go after and Keith Richards has said since that it was the biggest mistake of their career. Might be true or might be an urban myth.

To be honest both performances pretty damn good. IMHO. The REAL Rolling Stones - with Brian Jones. What exciting times these were. THE BRITISH INVASION!! :D

https://youtu.be/5_jqhXNF98A

Social source share

I saw it as a preview in the States three weeks ago.  It's very well done.  I enjoyed it, but too wondered why there was a need to keep jumping back and forth in the history, but I talked to another mate of mine who says that's fairly common in biopics these days.   

The performances are amazing, the acting is quite good, and I learned a bit about JB that I didn't know.

I recommend it.

Cheers.

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Thanks folks

Was it any good?

I only just noticed that James Brown was the featured person last week in the Radio 4 Great Lives series.

Main contributors were Jazzie B (whoops!) and Charles Shaar Murray.

It won't be to everyone's taste but there were a few bits & pieces that I found interesting.

Here is the link to the programme - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04d4n8b

Social source share

Watched this movie last night and despite others criticism I personally enjoyed this attempt to bring The Godfathers story to the screen. Given his history spanned several decades and was so tumultuous it's unsurprising the makers focused upon, and emphasised his highs and lows. Chadwick Boseman did a great job playing the lead and was very  convincing both looking and sounding like the great man himself. 

When reading up on Boseman I stumbled across this fantastic clip, not of him but of Mr Brown singing alongside Luciano Pavaroti, and was blown away........

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Watched this movie last night and despite others criticism I personally enjoyed this attempt to bring The Godfathers story to the screen. Given his history spanned several decades and was so tumultuous it's unsurprising the makers focused upon, and emphasised his highs and lows. Chadwick Boseman did a great job playing the lead and was very  convincing both looking and sounding like the great man himself. 

When reading up on Boseman I stumbled across this fantastic clip, not of him but of Mr Brown singing alongside Luciano Pavaroti, and was blown away........

Who would ever have dreamed that that would work like it does! Wow!!

Love the big grin on JB's face :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!