John Manship Auction Results 20 - 8 - 2014

9225_1sm.jpg9225_1sm.jpg9225_2sm.jpg
The Saints I'll Let You Slide C/w Love Can Be

This 45 has been the preserve of only the very top DJs for over three decades now. First gracing one of the 80s finest Soul collections as yet another Soul Bowl discovery; But surprisingly came back onto the market when top DJ Grahame Ellis decided to call it a day and part with his incomparable accumulation of rare soul dance 45s.

It was then raised up into cult-status by none other than “Butch”; since those heady days, the DJs who have supported it since, reads like a who’s who of Rare Soul Philosophers. Arthur Fenn, Dave Rippoles, Dave Welding… but to underline it’s serve-rarity, it is a disc that has also eluded the likes of such NS Royalty as Soul Sam etc.

So check out what all the fuss is about this North Carolina “impossible” is all about - and immerse yourself into slick vocal-group rare-soul unusually driven by intricate guitar licks and cymbals - no smash, bang wallop arrangement, no blaring horns battling with the super-smooth vocals for supremacy, just superlative creamy vocals whipping up a silky upper-class rare soul dancer.

So good is the a-side, again the flipside has been overlooked by some collectors..the flip I feel is only an hares-breadth away from being every note as good.

A double-helping of “thinking man’s” Northern Soul at it’s absolute finest… with a second to none pedigree.

TOTAL CLASS AIN’T IT! PS Played by the mighty Mick H. at the totally-top-class “Va Va Voom” event on Saturday to quote “A Manic packed dancefloor of 150…”

Sorry, this item has already been won!
The winning bid was £ 2,440.00

9242_1sm.jpg9242_1sm.jpg9242_2sm.jpg
Belaires I Got That Feelin' C/w The Rabbit

The iconic Motor City’s label least known Northern Soul rarity. Ready to achieve it’s long overlooked potential that has somehow been delayed.

Tony Alvon the “Sexy Coffee Pot” man comes under the watchful skills of Gino Washington for this Detroit Northern Soul stomper. Like his better distributed but highly sought after Atlantic recordings; this thumper is also powered by blaring horns and rasping vocals.

This is a proper foot-to-the-floor dancer; decorated with low-down dirty sax blows, rattling drums and soaring trumpets accompany Tony Alvon’s dominant statements bolstered by the compulsory squealing girl-group back up.

It is a mystery why this 45 hasn’t ever joined the “other” Palmer’s into iconic status, unquestionable pedigree but like a few others suffering a little from it’s own obscurity.

Flip it over to be blown away by a typically insane “Tony Alvon” hammond manipulation colliding with a totally irresponsible saxophonist who breaks all the rules to whip up what can only be described as a “beast” of an instrumental!

Two compelling sides now ready for their day in sun, potential is HUGE!!

The winning bid was £ 350.00

9243_1sm.jpg9243_1sm.jpg9243_2sm.jpg9243_3sm.jpg9243_4sm.jpg
Magnum Fully Loaded

1974 8 man California Funk gathering create an Album Grail!!

Recorded in California after which Phoenix Records gained a distributed deal with Jamie Records in Philadelphia; allowing house-band Great Expectations & Magnum to release a few singles through Jamie/Guyden’s highly respected Philly / L.A. collaboration label “Phil L.A. Soul” neat play on words.

But this album sold ion trifling quantities and has always been considered one of “Soul’s” hard to acquire platters. Ironic as this highly talented octet convincingly blend Soul/Jazz/Funk with real potency.

Check out a sample of their work on the soundfile, and you’ll be wondering why this team never made it huge - innovative, brave and forceful music with every track impressing.

Vinyl & labels are Mint - cover reveals only light signs of handling..

It’s RARE and it’s a beauty!

The winning bid was £ 87.00

9233_1sm.jpg9233_1sm.jpg9233_2sm.jpg
Delorise Berry No Other Girl C/w Crying Won't Help Me Now

Current spin for legendary DJ John Vincent - a man never afraid to drop in a taste of the unheard rarity into a set a bejeweled with NS classics set.

Check this neglected beauty, it is elusive on it’s 1968 Cotillion/Atlantic release which you seldom come across. But the first press from small town Florida is today one of those highly desirable “firsts” that are becoming increasingly challenging to own.

Before you is the 1967 cutely designed Gator Records from the hamlet of Palatka. You can feel the local horns rippling, as they assisted the young voice of Delorise Berry to craft a primitive but so very effective Northern Soul dancer. Saturated in magical naivety Delorise serves up a relentless and potent dancer, little wonder it’s a Mr. Vincent favourite.

But wait until you hear the exceptional flipside that will irresistibly appeal to two Soul collectors styles. An uncredited male vocal group join Delorise to carefully construct a phenomenal harmony ballad, rich male vocals support a determine Sister vocal. The harmony guys will love it, but it carrying enough “pain” for the Deep Soul aficionados to salivate over.

Two superior sides, quirky unforgettable label design displaying why we vinyl-junkies just love those primitive “firsts” 

The winning bid was £ 136.00

9232_1sm.jpg9232_1sm.jpg9232_2sm.jpg
Village Choir Sweet Hot Lips C/w Along The Beach

Could they have chosen a better label name, as the vehicle for these two sensational sides - both of which are soaked with the what the streets of New York have to offer.

Salacious, sultry, sexy blending of Latin, Soul & Jazz carried by wave after wave of horns, classy guitar picking and a pleading lead vocal reaching out to those pacifying girls in the background…just so decidedly absorbing.. a dancefloor swayer of serious class.

Flip it over for an equally enthralling 3.00 minutes as the “Choir” again deliver a breezy blend of New York’s major dance influences.. This time the lead vocals are shared, when the male lead is joined by a provocative lady with the voice of an Angel; and whilst all this activity is filling the studio the session is thickened even further with a unobtrusive full harmony backing.

This gathering can do no wrong - love all their work, and some of it like this example are “Dog-Rare” 

The winning bid was £ 607.00

9241_1sm.jpg9241_1sm.jpg9241_2sm.jpg
Ray Scott & The Scottsmen Right Now C/w Feeling No Pain

Strap yourself in! Ray Scott and his boys are gonna blast you out of your seat; with an unforgiving 2.40 minutes foot-top-the-floor high octane Northern Soul rasper.

Directed by one of Northern Soul’s most prolific contributors Bert “Super Hits” DeCoteaux who whips up a storm of horns from the first note - then Ray steps forward to serve us with total NS dance; with his snarling, growling, spitting style of uncompromising force.

As if not to be outdone the horns gather power and dictate the pace, but Ray blows them all away - boy this guy can bellow with the best of them. Totally overwhelming dancer with few equals when it comes to enthusiasm, presence and delivery!

So dripping with the Wow-Factor it is easy to forget the flipside is darn good also…

The winning bid was £ 181.00

9239_1sm.jpg9239_1sm.jpg9239_2sm.jpg
Invitations Watch Out Little Girl C/w You're Like A Mystery

Current dancefloor destroyer! and a regret for me as recently it was pulled from my grasp and DJ set by an offer I couldn’t refuse… well it had detonated a dance hall crush, so my fellow jock for the night just had to have it.

Those guaranteed crowd-igniters are vital DJ Box residents, and I miss that luxury of being able to “up” the atmosphere when ever required.

But I’m a perfectionist, and this Mint - PROMO copy has a light storage lift not affecting play in any way. So I’ve decided to rely on other crowd-pleasers to rescue a dwindling floor-audience.

A minor flaw - very minor as the labels and the vinyls are immaculate. Ideal for the DJ who appreciates the value of a banker.. bristling with quality, desirability and brutal charm!

The winning bid was £ 425.00

9238_1sm.jpg9238_1sm.jpg9238_2sm.jpg
Tommy Ridgley My Love Gets Stronger

Everybody’s favourite and a Stone-Cold classic!

From the vinyl wastelands of New Orleans comes a mid-tempo Soul experience dripping with slick delivery and sumptuous cooing girls.

The ripened vocal of Crescent City veteran fits snugly into Bob Robins dreamy Northern Soul stroller that swells into an infectious lust; as those purring girls elevate that matured “Ridgley” delivery. Crafting everlasting Northern Soul that is now, and always will be considered an ultimate NS Trophy to own.

Full marks to equally experienced John Vincent long-standing NS Jock for first playing this 45 against the tide of hard-hitting stompers - mid-tempo brilliance that 30 years on is no easy to apprehend now than it was then..

Do not pass by..

The winning bid was £ 2,039.00

9236_1sm.jpg9236_1sm.jpg9236_2sm.jpg
Tobi Lark Sweep It Out In The Shed C/w Challenge My Love

Dodge the dancefloor-dash as this Detroiter detonates! which ever side you drop the needle on!

The double act of Dave Hamilton & Rony Darrell once again deliver the goods hard and heavy with a hunk of R&B flavoured Northern Soul with the power to move the punters up and at the dancefloor

It’s a conversation stopper - ” hold on a ‘mo I’ve just gotta dance to this tune! ” as you get there as quickly as possible to find enough floor-space to do this beast-of-a-tune justice.

Flip is over to be treated to a more conventional Detroit groove that glistens with the class that Dave Hamilton consistently crafts.

Two killer tunes - with “Shed” totally powering head n’ shoulders above the norm, you expect from a Detroit production !

The winning bid was £ 565.00

9231_1sm.jpg9231_1sm.jpg9231_2sm.jpg
Cynthia & The Imaginations Hey Boy (i Love You) C/w Love Is Real

Some of us never learn… do we?

A close friend of mine fell madly in love with a telesales girl’s voice, when he eventually went on a date with her, shockingly to find she only just fitted into the front seat of his Mini and had an epic Tug O’ War tussle to get her out again..

Well as you’d expect, Ive learned nothing from my friends experience because I’m head over heels for this lady’s voice, Cynthia you’ve made my toes curl up!!

So delightfully delicious Detroit, I’m swooning in anticipation as to what the flip may bring.. as I wait for Dale Warren & Ernest Burt’s innovative echo-chamber intro; the Siren that is Cynthia, does not fail us..and clarity returns as her Angelic vocal cuts the air again.

Innovative it may be - but the side that grabs you “deep” is the searing “Hey Boy” I have no hesitation in proclaiming it as one of the finest Detroit Sister tunes ever recorded…but I would say that wouldn’t I …

I’m In Love…with that voice

The winning bid was £ 201.00

9240_1sm.jpg9240_1sm.jpg9240_2sm.jpg
Hard Drivers Featuring Vivian Lee Since Was A Little Girl

Progressive Rare-Soul Jocks take note of this hard hitting Sister-Funk, ideal play for the currently surging forward “Upfront Northern Soul” scene.

Out of Brooklyn New York emerges this rhythmic rarity demanding DANCE! The PMT spiked no nonsense vocal of Vivian Lee serves up a racing attitude riddled stance, perfectly complimented by honking horns and jazzy guitar.

Perfectly potent dancer who’s reputation is growing as you listen. No need from us to underline it’s potential anymore than the soundfile, makes obvious.

The winning bid was £ 264.00

9234_1sm.jpg9234_1sm.jpg9234_2sm.jpg
Maxine Brown Oh No Not My Baby C/w You Upset My Soul

Some songs are just impossible not to adore!

Carole King & Gerry Goffin’s timeless classic ranks within the greatest simplistic compositions. Rod Stewart, Cher, Linda Ronstadt, all gave this song credence. But Maxine gives is supreme class.

A classic in it’s most desirable form.

A gleaming 1965 UK DEMO complete with birth-sleeve. Glorious condition which I’m finding hard to locate a flaw with.

Gorgeous song, even better looking label..

The winning bid was £ 138.00

9235_1sm.jpg9235_1sm.jpg9235_2sm.jpg
Carol Friday Everybody I Know C/w Wasted Days

Totally immaculate Red & White Demo, snugly wrapped in an original company sleeve!!

From those unforgettable halcyon days, when a Saturday night at a Northern Soul club could trigger off a week long search for a tune you heard that was a British release. During the 70s DJ’s like Alan Rhodes, Nev Wherry, Ian Clark, Rick Scott, Tony Ellis were almost weekly finding fabulous UK only Northern Soul candidates.

This is 45 is one that eluded everybody, except the privileged DJ or 100% dedicated market stall, junk shop hound. But even back then when most of these discs were less than 10 years old “Carol Friday” was a darn tough 45 to snare.

So we’re extra-please today to offer a flawless copy - especially as upon hearing it again after many, many years’ it instantly uplifts your day catapulting you back to an era when finding a rare-NS-jewel locally was almost possible.

But in this form and immaculate…no chance!

The winning bid was £ 107.00

9244_1sm.jpg9244_1sm.jpg9244_2sm.jpg9244_3sm.jpg9244_4sm.jpg
Murray K Big Holiday Show - 1964 Program

1964 20 page A4 card cover program - front cover has light water damage at the top (see scan)

But the impressive interior is flawless, boasting near 20 black & white artist pics including the AUTOGRAPHS of “LITTLE ANTHONY” and THREE MEMBERS of The MIRACLES see scans provided.

Other than that there are:

Full A4 thick card black and whites of the following: Marvin Gaye, The Miracles (autographed by Pete Moore, Bobby Rogers & Ronnie White), The Supremes, Martha & The Vandellas, Contours, Temptations.

1/4 page Black & Whites of:

The Searchers, Dusty Springfield, Millie Small, The Rolling Stones, Jay and the Americans, The Dovells (Featuring Len Barry), Jon Corey The Del-Satins, The New Beats.

• Little Anthony & The Imperials - AUTOGRAPHED by Little Anthony

Record Company adverts - full page MOTOWN Album advert. Dusty Springfield 1/2 page ” Wishin’ & Hopin’ ” and so much more..

Like we said the interior is very special indeed! Dare we suggest broken down and framed - perhaps 5 times more.. but we can’t bare to vandalize this rarity.

Fabulous piece of SOUL History

The winning bid was £ 20.00

Social source share

Guest Aaron Darcy

love the belaires, but £350 how does he do it.....but I suppose its not a popular spin and still under the radar , and on a great label the flip side is manic!

Massive in the 80's for Carl Fortnum and used to be quite rare back in the day ' but £350  don't think so.

Social source share

Guest Aaron Darcy

What would be a realistic price for the Belaires in ex condition, with 'The Rabbit' on the other side.

£150 now a days used to be quite rare when Carl Fortnum  played it 84--85

Social source share

Guest turntableterra

Tobi lark a soul bowl pack early 8ts

I got a sinceres in a soul pack off john 1979, mint.  busy making a time machine right now

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!