Royal Playboys - Arabia (Do-De) Year Please

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

all the ztsc numbers are pretty easy to determine.... i think theres a print out somewhere... they start with 9. 10, 12 and 14s during the 60`s..wonder why theres no 11 &13 ZTSCs

They start even earlier than that in the early 1960s, in the 50,000s.  90,000 is already 1964.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

OK -  so I found my copy.

The label is pretty much destroyed. However, there are numbers on one side visible on the label, and also stamped info in the dead wax.

Not sure what your source for the ZTSC matrix was Robb - can you clarify please?

My copy is Bell Sound stamped and it also specifies "T5KM" on the label and stamped in the dead wax.

On this basis, unless the info I'm using is dodgy, I think this means:

T = the year was 1966 (not 1964).
5 = this is a custom job - not cut at RCA studio - and because the "5" comes before the "k",  it was mastered (but not necessarily released) between January and June of the year - as designated by "T".
K= it was on a 45rpm format.
M = The recording was mono - not stereo.

Any further thoughts please on the obvious conflict between the ZTSC and RCA-pressed matrix codes and the resulting conflicting years of release?

Cheers

Richard
Social source share

Sorry.  I didn't have Arabia by the Royal Playboys on DoDe.  I did have The Royal Playboys on DoDe 101 - "Happy Hours"/"Goodbye Bo", which had a ZTSC number in the 96700 series, which put it in spring 1964.  I stated above, that if it HAD a ZTSC number in the 96700s, it would have been released in early to mid 1964. 

Now that we know the RCA master numbers, we know it was released in 1966 (more around the time of Judy & The Affections' "Top Ten record).  I guess I thought that 1964 could have been plausible, because The Royal Playboys backed up The Dynamics on "Delsinia" in 1963, and had their other DoDe release in 1964, and maybe I got the timing confused with "Arabia" by The Delcos. on Showcase Records (e.g. that The Royal Playboys' was an instrumental version of The Delcos' song (even though it hadn't originated in Detroit).  I guess I should have mentioned that DoDe 101 was the source of the ZTSC number I mentioned.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert