Sellers - Get A F*cking Grip

Godzilla

Pete S, on 21 Aug 2014 - 2:31 PM, said:

Well let's think, where do they get these ridiculous prices from in the first place?

They copy them from someone else, or from a previous sale, or a price guide or online store.

The fact that the record is still there in whatever online store it's in, means nobody wants it at that price, therefore it must be too expensive.

Therefore, the idea is to undercut that price and everyone else too.

That's what I do, it must work, I've sold £20,000 worth of records in the last 6 weeks, though I have had some fantastic quality stuff.

Oh and before anyone goes thinking I'm rich - every one was a commission sale...suits me though.

Lord Rothschild.

:elvis:

:D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Trouble is, i put a record up for £75 the other day because there seems to be a lot of them around. Sold it straight away. But then saw one for £100  a few days later and that sold straight away, so now I'm thinking, shit I should of tried a hundred quid first.

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

What about  new releases that you can by from Juno or Soul Brother records for rrp - being offered at 20 - 30 + quid !!! You can even still buy them direct from the US label, ie Truth & Soul, Numero etc at original sale price !!! I thought it took twenty years for prices to get stupid - not twenty days !!!

Weird !

Edited by Polyvelts
Social source share

What about  new releases that you can by from Juno or Soul Brother records for rrp - being offered at 20 - 30 + quid !!! You can even still buy them direct from the US label, ie Truth & Soul, Numero etc at original sale price !!! I thought it too twenty years for prices to get stupid - not twenty days !!!

Weird !

Yeah I was amazed to see the Chelsea Wilson which I have plenty of copies of (for £8) at £12.50, for instance  :facepalm:  Not as severe as some of his prices for new/recent releases but still in the 'in demand, out of stock everywhere else and hard to find now' bracket when they're still available with minimal googling (or at the underlined link :rofl:

Edited by Jason S
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

It has got silly, and I have too agree I really tire of seeing the same listed at inflated prices every other day. What can you do though... Upto the MODS to take a view on this.

Malcolm

if you do see repeated sales at the same price then help the mod team and report the sales post

guidelines say

3. No reposting of ads within 3 days, then 7 days for further reposts

if you see sellers ignoring this then please report it

mike

Social source share

sellers asking £25 for a new 45 available on juno for under a tenner.

This is up on one of the FB sales pages ....

Dynamic Duke Royal - I wanna now (Montel Michelle) EX 750 usd
Awesome 45 which is totally unknown.

Available from Juno for $8.50 ... maybe he forgot to put the full stop after number 7 ??

Edited by Philly
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

What about  new releases that you can by from Juno or Soul Brother records for rrp - being offered at 20 - 30 + quid !!! You can even still buy them direct from the US label, ie Truth & Soul, Numero etc at original sale price !!! I thought it too twenty years for prices to get stupid - not twenty days !!!

Weird !

ive had people on here sell the those re issues as bona fide originals. one guy still had the cheek to keep the juno sticker on it and got very pissy when it got sent back.

Social source share

if you do see repeated sales at the same price then help the mod team and report the sales post

guidelines say

3. No reposting of ads within 3 days, then 7 days for further reposts

if you see sellers ignoring this then please report it

mike

As long as sellers stick within these rules then it's up to them if they want to re-list at same price for next twenty years.

However, there is no need for Sutty or others to keep their traps shut.

Whilst it is not allowed to post detrimental posts on actual ads you can come on here and draw attention to inflated prices just as you would do with an EBay sale.

ROD

Social source share

Whilst it is not allowed to post detrimental posts on actual ads you can come on here and draw attention to inflated prices just as you would do with an EBay sale.

ROD

let the floodgates open.  as people on here generally like a good debate, should this subject have it have its own subsection, im wondering?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Every time someone advertises on here they should pay a fee, say 50p, for every advert they do, whether it's a one item ad or a list.  The site could make £25 a day, well over £100 a week from this and could put it back into the site or basically do what they want with it.  I advertise a lot on here, I would gladly pay for the privilige (even though I can't spell it).

At the end of the week, maybe if you've made over 20 forum posts, you get three free listings or something like that.

I would have no problem paying to sell on here - I sell on Discogs and don't get that for free

I think a fee for every posting may be hard to administrate but there could be a quarterly subscription charge - I think it may help to improve the quality of what is sold on here

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I would have no problem paying to sell on here - I sell on Discogs and don't get that for free

I think a fee for every posting may be hard to administrate but there could be a quarterly subscription charge - I think it may help to improve the quality of what is sold on here

I agree 100%.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

agreed.  someone has to chase people around to collect 50ps though. 

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

There are a few sellers lists I just don't bother looking through anymore as they just repeat the sales and prices never change and in some circumstances I've seen prices rise on tunes they can't sell.  

I would be be more than happy to pay a fee to sell on here too not that I sell often but when I do I want to sell and I have even put lists up asking for fair offers on what people would want to pay and I've sold some that way.  

Social source share

OK charge £25 a quarter.  People who haven't paid subs simply get their adverts removed.  The quality should improve drastically.

Pretty much what I was thinking too Pete. As a (irregular) seller at times would be happy at this rate. Listing fees and/or commissions etc on ebay/discogs eats up a fair few quid anyway over a few months. 

Maybe Mike & the team can add a 'subs' or 'verified seller' button?? 

Social source share

There are a few sellers lists I just don't bother looking through anymore as they just repeat the sales and prices never change and in some circumstances I've seen prices rise on tunes they can't sell.  

I would be be more than happy to pay a fee to sell on here too not that I sell often but when I do I want to sell and I have even put lists up asking for fair offers on what people would want to pay and I've sold some that way.  

Every time someone advertises on here they should pay a fee, say 50p, for every advert they do, whether it's a one item ad or a list.  The site could make £25 a day, well over £100 a week from this and could put it back into the site or basically do what they want with it.  I advertise a lot on here, I would gladly pay for the privilige (even though I can't spell it).

At the end of the week, maybe if you've made over 20 forum posts, you get three free listings or something like that.

agreed.  someone has to chase people around to collect 50ps though. 

I would be willing to pay too.

It would keep the chancers away.

Chris

Me too. I don't sell that often but I don't necessarily want something for nothing. I can see that it might to complicated logistically to set up, but I imagine it would be a sensible investment that would pay for any set-up costs quite quickly. The whole forum isn't just about sales either, so hopefully the fees charged would reflect that and would be quite reasonable.

I have to say though, that I've had a greater degree of satisfaction in both buying and selling on Soul Source than I have on ebay, discogs and any other site. Not that those are bad, just that it genuinely feels more like you're trading with people in a community on here.

Just don't get me started on that so called 'hassle free' site though...

Social source share

It's not just about sales either, I sell only a small percentage of stuff on here but what it does is, it gets you seen - people know what records you've got and when they talk to other people, you get mentioned, and it's all publicity, so people then contact me and ask to go on my mailing list (where most sales take place) and it's mainly because of SS.  So Mike, if you're reading this, don't feel guilty about taking money for subs, I know you like to offer it all for free but no f*cker else does.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

sellers asking £25 for a new 45 available on juno for under a tenner.

This is up on one of the FB sales pages ....

Dynamic Duke Royal - I wanna now (Montel Michelle) EX 750 usd

Awesome 45 which is totally unknown.

Available from Juno for $8.50 ... maybe he forgot to put the full stop after number 7 ??

That seller put that up on here. In fairness, I think he's selling an original but a) its not unknown and b) the last couple on ebay went for about $150.

I know cos I was after it but realised it was absolutely impossible to dance to.]

Social source share

Just don't get me started on that so called 'hassle free' site though...

was good when it started then people started doing what you've said in the start of the thread and it was poor. imagine 1000s of people doing that.

i sold loads of stuff through it but bought 2 tunes in as many years.  great for non payer fun and arguments about its simple rules. 

Social source share

I think you've got to be careful that you don't scare off the people who sell stuff only occasionally. For me, the most interesting sales are from people who don't do it very often and it could become boring as a buyer if only the sellers who regularly sell, and have paid their £25 subs, become the only source of vinyl on here. I occasinally sell stuff to fund other purchases, but I wouldn't bother if I had to pay £25 a quarter as it wouldn't be worth my while.

i would pay it but totally agree from buyers side.

Social source share

I think you've got to be careful that you don't scare off the people who sell stuff only occasionally. For me, the most interesting sales are from people who don't do it very often and it could become boring as a buyer if only the sellers who regularly sell, and have paid their £25 subs, become the only source of vinyl on here. I occasinally sell stuff to fund other purchases, but I wouldn't bother if I had to pay £25 a quarter as it wouldn't be worth my while.

Well they could set a one off fee of 50p for occasional sellers

• Helpful 1
Social source share

There was talk once upon a time of a shop style system, is it still a viable option?  We would have the ability to list sales once and they would be there all the time and searchable until sold, a bit like discogs. I would pay a fee for every sale   2,3 or 4 percent for instance?

Edited by chalky
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Well let's think, where do they get these ridiculous prices from in the first place?

They copy them from someone else, or from a previous sale, or a price guide or online store.

The fact that the record is still there in whatever online store it's in, means nobody wants it at that price, therefore it must be too expensive.

Therefore, the idea is to undercut that price and everyone else too.

That's what I do, it must work, I've sold £thousands worth of records in the last 6 weeks, though I have had some fantastic quality stuff.

Oh and before anyone goes thinking I'm rich - every one was a commission sale...suits me though.

Pete, wish you'd price them a bit dearer they may well be still available by the time I get on here to see what your selling. :) 

Just seen a long want ( of which there are a few, but not as many as the ones I haven't heard yet) on your current list that's already sold.........

Ah well any day another list. 

Dave.

Social source share

It's not just about sales either, I sell only a small percentage of stuff on here but what it does is, it gets you seen - people know what records you've got and when they talk to other people, you get mentioned, and it's all publicity, so people then contact me and ask to go on my mailing list (where most sales take place) and it's mainly because of SS.  So Mike, if you're reading this, don't feel guilty about taking money for subs, I know you like to offer it all for free but no f*cker else does.

There was talk once upon a time of a shop style system, is it still a viable option?  We would have the ability to list sales once and they would be there all the time and searchable until sold, a bit like discogs. I would pay a fee for every sale   2,3 or 4 percent for instance?

thanks for all the suggestions/views site wise - I started to multi -quote but there was too many

there is a extra sales feature/system thats going live in the very near future

its a more formal means of selling/buying at first focusing on individual items for sale/offers

with the idea being that it will sit alongside the current sales setup

I will try and bring it up live in next couple of days and post more info as that happens

in the thread here

link to follow

thanks

mike

Edited by mike
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

all it means from my point of view is that the guys that sell at  high prices, prices will still be high..and i`ll have to put my prices up to cover the fees

Dave

there will be no changes to the sales forums as far as 'fees' or similar concerned

The new feature will run along side the current sales setup

the new feature will be fee based 

the thinking behind this is as below

1. The Site  - Revenue from any fees would  improve the self supporting side of the site and thus help improve the site in many ways

2. Quality - A fee would improve the quality of the sales on offer in the feature by discouraging poor quality sales posts (discourage repeated posts, dead stock or unrealistic pricing }

3. Security - A fee would bring in a level of seller account validation (more solid ids) that is/was higher than previously

more later....

cheers

mike

Social source share

Come on Dave, you won't miss £25 over 3 months, you pay an awful lot more on ebay.

i see the point that its good for someone like yourself  thats put several lists out a week..but not for someone like myself that only sells a few bits from time to time.. ive done sellin stuff on ebay anyway.... its just gonna drive more sellers into the arms of the facebook pages

• Helpful 3
Social source share

all it means from my point of view is that the guys that sell at  high prices, prices will still be high..and i`ll have to put my prices up to cover the fees

i see the point that its good for someone like yourself  thats put several lists out a week..but not for someone like myself that only sells a few bits from time to time.. ive done sellin stuff on ebay anyway.... its just gonna drive more sellers into the arms of the facebook pages

just a re-post as think Dave missed my post and 'the no changes to the sales forum'   is an important point imo 

Dave

there will be no changes to the sales forums as far as 'fees' or similar concerned

1. The Site  - Revenue from any fees would  improve the self supporting side of the site and thus help improve the site in many ways

2. Quality - A fee would improve the quality of the sales on offer in the feature by discouraging poor quality sales posts (discourage repeated posts, dead stock or unrealistic pricing }

3. Security - A fee would bring in a level of seller account validation (more solid ids) that is/was higher than previously

more later....

cheers

mike

an announcement thread be here

Edited by mike
Social source share

just a re-post as think Dave missed my post and 'the no changes to the sales forum'   is an important point imo 

Dave

more later....

cheers

mike

i saw it mike... i posted up about 2 seconds later..naturally i`m all for the end of unrealistic pricing...endless sales with reductions when they obviously havent been reduced :rofl: ..etc

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!