Simco Discog Please

Dobber

You are correct that Simco was a small, short-lived label.  I doubt that you'll find a written discography of that label.  The best place in The World to obtain such a thing would be right here on this website.  We can do it by having our members participate with what they have individually (and have seen).  We did that on The Soulful Detroit Forum for several obscure Detroit labels, and those discographies are (would have been) currently, the most complete in existence. Unfortunately, the threads that contained most of them were lost in 2007, during the transfer of the forum's data to a larger platform.

I'll start with what I know:

First, I'm assuming that you are talking about The Simco Records which operated from New York in the mid 1960s.  It should be differentiated from the Simco with the black label, which operated in the late 1950s (and early '60s?).  It probably was owned by a man named R. Simpson, possibly co-owned by A & R man, Jesse Herring.  Galrek Music may have been Herring's alone, or their partnership.

I have Simco 30,3001 - Sandy Wynns - "I'll Give That To You" / "You Turned Your Back On Me"  Black print on white label, -no indication of being a DJ-Distributed by Bell.

I have seen a couple others.  I think I remember having seen one by Tobi Legend. I can't remember the other one or 2   All 3 were black print on white label with no indication of being a DJ.  They all were pressed in New York at the plant owned by Shelly, on styrene, with labels that fall off easily.

Edited by RobbK
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

yes i have the sandy wynns 45,im guessing the gene toones is the same outfit,would be interesting to see if there is a tobi legend 45?

great info by the way.

Gene Toones has Galrek Music, but it was produced by Jesse Herring, who was also A&R man with Toote Town/True Glow Town/TNT/Swa-Ray.  The only thing they have in common with Simco is Jesse Herring's involvement.  If Galrek Music is his ALONE, then, they certainly weren't the same operation.  I think that this latter scenario is more likely than Simpson having anything to do with the Toot/Toote Town/True Glow Town/TNT/Swa-Ray label group. which seem to have involved Jesse Herring, Joe Moore, and probably a money owner, other than Simpson.

Social source share

Of course that's the same Joe Moore.  That's why I mentioned him!  

Gene Toones could have been brought to The True Glow Town Group by Jesse Herring.  OR, it could have been a Simco Production leased to TNT or Toote Town or True Glow Town.  I doubt that it was released on Simco first.

Social source share

Could Verve be thrown in too the equation being it has a Joe Moore and a one Don Gardner releases on both.

And is this the same Joe...Joseph Moore as I Just Can't Get To You.???

Absolutely!  Verve's Joe Moore production was done by Jesse Herring for True Glow Town Productions.  Don Gardner was involved in their operations - but NOT with Simco.  That's why I think that Jesse Herring being A&R man of both operations is the only link.

Social source share

I have another release by Gene Toones on Simco - "So Glad (Trouble Don't Last)". I would post up a scan, but the label is so badly water damaged that it's not really worth the bother. It plays well enough though.

At the risk of veering slightly off subject, I used to own this in the 80s, which was the only known issue for many years:

post-1521-0-03075400-1408864986.jpg

On having a look through the interweb just now, I came across a lot of scans of this:

post-1521-0-01185300-1408865064.jpg

This second one doesn't look right to me; is it a boot?

Social source share

From R&B Indies, different font used for the 250, 260 and 30 series.  Owned by Richard Simpson out of NY.  30 series distributed by Amy Mala Bell.  Simpson also owned the Simpson label which seem to be the same number system as the 250/260 series on Simco, Gospel by and large looking at it.

250  Kansas City Melody-Aires Don't Let It be Too Late/I'll Be So Glad

252  The Psalmeneers Call Him/Walk With ME

260  The Harold Smith Majestics Peace Be Still Pt 1/Pt 2

263   Lorraine Ellison & Ellison Singers  Open UpoYour Heart/This IS The Day

30.000  Gene Toones What More Do you Want/How It Feels

30.001  Sandy Wynns  I'll Give That To You/You Turned Your Back On Me

30.002  Gene Toone  A Love Triangle/Turn To Me

30.003  Gene Toone  Every Now And Then/So Glad (Trouble Don't Last)

Edited by chalky
Social source share

The two Deena Johnson 45's on Simpson (one with Ricky Davis - Showdown) and a Lou Johnson 45 (with no details other than the title of one side) are mention right at the end of the Simpson listing, from 1966 and distributed with a couple of others from the 200 series by VeeJay.

Social source share

I have another release by Gene Toones on Simco - "So Glad (Trouble Don't Last)". I would post up a scan, but the label is so badly water damaged that it's not really worth the bother. It plays well enough though.

At the risk of veering slightly off subject, I used to own this in the 80s, which was the only known issue for many years:

attachicon.gifgene toones issue.jpg

On having a look through the interweb just now, I came across a lot of scans of this:

attachicon.gifgene toones issue 2.jpg

This second one doesn't look right to me; is it a boot?

Yep it is a boot, some have the Velours on the flip not sure if they all have the same flip as looking through them some don't have the flip listed.  Original issue has Distribution round the bottom, Amy Mala as per your original.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

So, the 30,000 number series was used by Simco when they were distributed by Bell, and the 100 series used by Simpson and 250 and 260 series both when Simpson and Simco were distributed by VJ?

I have Simpson 101 Deena Johnson & Ricky Davis - "Who, Me? Yeah, You!"

102 Deena Johnson                        - "I'm A Sad Girl"

Richard Simpson used "Simco Music", so Galrek Music seems to represent only Jesse Herring's interest alone.  It seems that when Herring shared the publishing rights with others, there were 2 different music publishers listed.  So, it seems. that several of the money partners (backers) like Richard Simpson(Simco), Eddie Newmark(Fineline and Fedro) and whoever backed the Toot/TNT/True Glow Town/Swa-Ray Group, allowed Herring to keep ALL the music publishing rights on many of his productions.

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

Trude Heller, Gloria Toote and Ed Townsend were the three backers of Tru-Glo-Town I believe. 

Like you Robb I don't believe there is any connection between TGT and Simpson/Simco other than Jesse Herring working for both, it isn't unusual for writers, arrangers etc to work elsewhere, they go where the money is at the end of the day.

There is a blog article about Trude Heller here https://streetsyoucrossed.blogspot.co.uk/2005/05/trude-trude-trude.html

Article about Gloria Toote here https://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G2-3077500058.html

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!