Loma Records - 50 Years Old Today

A very nice Soul label with a bizarre combination of rough Soul and sweet Soul for various L.A. producers, thrown together with classy, sweet Philadelphia productions by Jerry Ragovoy.  My favourites are The Enchanters and Apollas.

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

So many fabulous up-tempo dance tracks on Loma but my favourite is a deep soul ballad: the flip of Carl Hall "Mean It Baby" the AWESOME "You don't know nothing about love"

NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC !!!!!!!

Enjoy 

Edited by illusive
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

A very nice Soul label with a bizarre combination of rough Soul and sweet Soul for various L.A. producers, thrown together with classy, sweet Philadelphia productions by Jerry Ragovoy.  My favourites are The Enchanters and Apollas.

And the very first release was by a blue-eyed artist. I guess they changed their mind after it :wink:

Social source share

One of my absolute favourites from the label. Difficult to say why exactly. Not sure if it's about having some sort of empathy with the emotions of the record, or maybe the harmonies - there's certainly something about harmonies that resonates personally - or maybe it's just simply a sublime slice of that music we call "Soul". 

Whatever, it works for me - big time!

Social source share

Technically, a classic from the Loma label!

"Mr Creator" was recorded in the same session as Loma 2053 - "Sorry Mama / My Soul Concerto" - but was given over to the parent Warner Bros because it had all the makings of a hit and as such would benefit from their marketing and promotions budgets. They were nearly right.

Social source share

One of my absolute favourites from the label. Difficult to say why exactly. Not sure if it's about having some sort of empathy with the emotions of the record, or maybe the harmonies - there's certainly something about harmonies that resonates personally - or maybe it's just simply a sublime slice of that music we call "Soul". 

Whatever, it works for me - big time!

Interesting about this Loma release.  The L.A. office Had Jerry Ragovoy arrange and record the background tracks in Philadelphia, and sent L.A.'s Olympics to Philly for him to record, or recorded the vocals in L.A.  This is the ONLY song by The Olympics I can remember that is "mellow", rather than their normal rough style.  Sort of like "That Day When She Needed Me" by The Contours (before they had Joe Stubbs or Dennis Edwards as leads). 

Also interesting that the title reads "Baby I'm Yours" (confused with the Barbara Lewis song), when it was titled "Another Lonely Saturday" when released on Blue Rock by Dee Dee Warwick.

Social source share

Interesting about this Loma release.  The L.A. office Had Jerry Ragovoy arrange and record the background tracks in Philadelphia, and sent L.A.'s Olympics to Philly for him to record, or recorded the vocals in L.A.  This is the ONLY song by The Olympics I can remember that is "mellow", rather than their normal rough style.  Sort of like "That Day When She Needed Me" by The Contours (before they had Joe Stubbs or Dennis Edwards as leads). 

Also interesting that the title reads "Baby I'm Yours" (confused with the Barbara Lewis song), when it was titled "Another Lonely Saturday" when released on Blue Rock by Dee Dee Warwick.

I thought Ragovoy (Philly born) was working out of NY during his tenure with Loma. Am I wrong?

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

That 'Mr Creator'...the first few bars.....just...out of this world. I have always had a soft spot for this over the years...

Social source share

Loma...like Mirwood and Motown EVERY collector has/had owned releases on the label, if not collected it to some degree over the years. :thumbsup:

Let us also not forget that set of compilation albums from the 70's...the guy behind that superb project lost his job over their poor sales, didn't he? :ohmy:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Loma...like Mirwood and Motown EVERY collector has/had owned releases on the label, if not collected it to some degree over the years. :thumbsup:

Let us also not forget that set of compilation albums from the 70's...the guy behind that superb project lost his job over their poor sales, didn't he? :ohmy:

The guy behind it was the legendary Claude Nobs, who was a senior WB exec at that time. Claude founded the even more legendary Montreux Jazz Festival, of course, and is immortalised as "Funky Claude" in the Deep Purple song "Smoke on the water".

I exchanged a few emails with him about five or six years ago and he said he'd call me on the phone and tell me about how he came to put the tremendously ambitious 7-LP Loma anthology together. To my eternal regret, that phone call didn't happen. Still, I'm honoured that he even bothered to reply to my enquiring email at all.

Claude died in January 2013 from injuries sustained in a skiing accident. He was 76-years old.

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

I have three of those LP's tucked away in a cupboard..I couldn't afford the other one and didn't know any of the tracks at the time (circa 1978/9 I think, or earlier). They sere something like £1 each, a brown, purple and red one. Would any DJ's play these LP's at events then? Or is it illegal?

Social source share

had a few of the LPs

recently transferred to CDr

One was an R&B type....a bit different!

But the others contained some great stuff.

Dave Godin 'promoted' them in B&S I think.

Social source share

Would any DJ's play these LP's at events then? Or is it illegal?

To be fair, if looking only at monetary aspects then Loma isn't a particularly hard label to collect, so the aspiring DJ could get hold of most of the releases on original 45s without too much difficulty. Barring the yellow issue Soul Shakers "I'm getting weaker", the hardest one to find (based on my experience) is actually under the radar - or there's no interest in it.

For me, THE hardest one is a green label variant of a 45 that is cheap as both a yellow stock copy and a white label demo. I'm still looking for one of those.

had a few of the LPs

recently transferred to CDr

One was an R&B type....a bit different!

But the others contained some great stuff.

Dave Godin 'promoted' them in B&S I think.

Volume 3 is the R&B comp. Great tracks on that from the likes of James "Lucky" Carmichael, Smiley Lewis, Barry "Barefoot" Beefus and also including James Cotton's two fabulous sides - his cover of the St Louis Jimmy Oden song "Complete this order" and the mighty harmonica romp "Laying in the weeds".

Poor sound quality on the clip, but hey...

https://youtu.be/fkbetb99DXU

Edited by Russell Gilbert
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Flip to Roy Redmond's "Aint That Terrible"and one of the better covers of Sam Cooke's immortal "A Change Is Gonna Come"

Social source share

On the subject of Roy Redmond, how about this clip from the 1968 psychedelic cult movie The Touchables? It uses Redmond's take of the Beatles song Good Day Sunshine.

Redmond's song was originally released as Loma 2075 in July 1967. However, the song started to get plays in New York some months later and this local action prompted WB/Loma to put it out again in February of 1968 - hence why you can also find it on the green label Loma 2092.

The film itself didn't come out until November 1968, so it's unclear whether word of the inclusion of the song in the original soundtrack was a factor in the interest it picked up six months after original release.

Now, on with the groovy - and slightly kinky - 60s movie action!  :D

Edited by Russell Gilbert
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

On the subject of Roy Redmond, how about this clip from the 1968 psychedelic cult movie The Touchables? It uses Redmond's take of the Beatles song Good Day Sunshine.

Redmond's song was originally released as Loma 2075 in July 1967. However, the song started to get plays in New York some months later and this local action prompted WB/Loma to put it out again in February of 1968 - hence why you can also find it on the green label Loma 2092.

The film itself didn't come out until November 1968, so it's unclear whether word of the inclusion of the song in the original soundtrack was a factor in the interest it picked up six months after original release.

Now, on with the groovy - and slightly kinky - 60s movie action!  :D

They tie him down ready for a good rogering and then f**k off to play pinball ... Ain't that terrible   :rolleyes:

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!