Dr Goldfoot And His Bikini Machine

Yes, it has been played on the scene, and no it is not awful! :wicked:

Keb gave it some exposure...and I humbly played it a few times at the Capitol Soul Club...you may have danced to it Winnie :thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Yes, it has been played on the scene, and no it is not awful! :wicked:

Keb gave it some exposure...and I humbly played it a few times at the Capitol Soul Club...you may have danced to it Winnie :thumbsup:

You're joking me David :) Let's just say it's not too my taste these days then  :thumbsup: Thanks for letting me know  :thumbsup:

Social source share

There's a record that got a few spins in 77 called Where Do I Go by The Beas, came out on UK Pama, A side of that is also a version of Dr Goldfoot And The Bikini Machine.

True...but it is a different recording which is close but no cigar as it leans more into the Girl Group Pop side of things, rather than the romping Motown rendition.

Both the Beas and the Supremes are on one-sided demos on US American Arts 7", whilst the Beas is also on DeeGee (same label as the Magnifcents).

:hatsoff2:

Social source share

Hi Winnie  , its defo been played on the scene came from the same batch of unreleased  Supremes stuff  as" surfer boy ", " beach ball " " ooh wee baby "  and         (  " don't let true love die " which imo is the best thing the supremes did and needs plays :thumbup:  :thumbup: :thumbup:  

atb steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Defo spun by Keb and at the Dome by that A-Ha Soulful God Mr Flynn Winnie, and you and I may well have danced to it because we were younger and frankly dance floor gods! (cough) Pete Smith beat me to it re The Beas as always lol. Listen if something like the Peanut Duck with its lyrics gets spun then we can make room for the Goldfoot surely..no?.....I'll get my coat.........

Edited by TheBigO
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest son of stan

Indeed...I have a fairly good memory for these things. I can only remember Keb Darge playing it like once or possibly twice in about 85 or so. In those days, at 100 Club and associated soul nights in London, you did hear the odd lighthearted spin. I always thought it was in that vein. I can remember Ian Clark playing 'The Lurch' and Ady playing Wigan's Chosen Few at one piss up or another..Plus stuff like 'Bad Breath' and 'Pizza Pie Man' proper records with words that put a smile on your face.Was all part of the fun.

Alas the roundheads won and I started to lose interest in 'the scene' when it became a religion!

Social source share

I have to agree with Win, it is terrible and can't for the life of me think why anyone would want to play it?

So you don't like classic 4 beats to the bar stomping A-typical Motown backing tracks with vibes and brass, then?!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

In those days, at 100 Club and associated soul nights in London, you did hear the odd lighthearted spin. I always thought it was in that vein. I can remember Ian Clark playing 'The Lurch' and Ady playing Wigan's Chosen Few at one piss up or another..Plus stuff like 'Bad Breath' and 'Pizza Pie Man' proper records with words that put a smile on your face.Was all part of the fun.

Sigh...when it used to be all about having fun, dancing and searching through the many sales boxes..."Pizza Pie Man" used to sound sooo good and right in the basement.

:facepalm:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

In case you were wondering..

Please note that the YouTube clip is a different take to the 45...more "separated and clean", whilst the 45 is a little rougher round the edges...and worthy of Northern scene spins...allegedly!

Morton :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

So you don't like classic 4 beats to the bar stomping A-typical Motown backing tracks with vibes and brass, then?!

Yes but not them all and not this one, the vocals very weak and the lyrics are terrible.  It takes more than a decent back beat to get me into a record.

Edited by chalky
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!