Bass Lines

Ian Parker

I've always been awestruck by the bass playing on ' what kind of lady' Dee Dee Sharp

astonishing is the word.... But yesterday I was playing my drums to various tunes on my iPod, when along came ' girl don't make me wait' Bunny Sigler,  this is show stopping stuff!

I'm assuming that this could be the same guy (both recordings hailing from Philadelphia ), but obviously I'm far from certain.

My question is, does anyone know who this could be, if he's still around, did he go onto bigger (if poss) things?

Thanks guys.

p.s.  I now have a new Fave Bass line in a tune

Social source share

Guest Chris61

Ian, four names came up after a little looking around.

Ronnie Baker

Joe Mack

Bip Muscemeci

Winnie Wilford

They all where studio musicians at the time. There are a couple more but searches on them didn't give anymore info.

Social source share

I asked Bruce Hawes and he said....

It is probably, Wynn Winford, Debbie Allen the actress' first husband who played with Kenny for years, or Sugar Bear who played with the original Philly house-band and Roland Chambers the band leader, or Ronnie Baker of Baker, Harris & Young... BH

Social source share

The bassist on 'What Kinda Lady' was Ronnie Baker. I suspect he was also on "Girl, Don't Make Me Wait Too Long" as well.  That particular recording hails from Leon Huff's time with John Madara's Double Diamond Music, which was based just across he road from the studio (Cameo Parkway), where both tracks were recorded.                      

Early Young, who joined Ronnie Baker, and Norman Harris as the renowned rhythm section of MFSB was a sometime member of The Trammps post PIR and today has his own version of the group that still perform.

Both great Philly tracks. And of course the best way to hear the guys performing "What Kinda Lady" is on the Huff Puff label, (1003), on which they released the studio track as an instrumental entitled 'Lady Lady Lady' by The Producers. (The flip of which is also a great  recording "Love Is Amazing").

Regards, 

Dave

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Quality!

Without causing a war,  I have to say, the muso's from Philadelphia , easily out gun the Detroit guys.

Dont get me wrong,I admire the funk bros beyond words,  but Jameson falls short of that quality of musicianship, when it comes to bass playing, its just incredible how he makes the thing sound

Edited by IanP
Social source share

I doubt any of the musicians back then in the likes of MFSB's, Funk Brothers etc played note for note.  Always some artistic license that is why they stood out.  The above book I gave the loin for goes in to some detail about the musicians and the fallouts, lack of recognition etc.

Social source share

Guest Chris61

would he have come up with bass lines himself or maybe told what to play note for note?

Most bass lines would be down to the bass player. An example of one that might be part written would be the line in 'Lend a Hand' Bobby Hutton. 

Social source share

If you watch the documentary about the wrecking crew Carol Kaye tells of how she came up with some of the bass lines in the studio at the time of recording.  Great musicians can improvise as well as follow as sheet.  Besides I bet there was more than a few who couldn't read music. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I've read of the many claims of Carol Kaye and the counter claims.  The Carol Kaye one I was referring to was I think a Beach Boys track and others on the video backed her up so one I probably believe.  I don't believe any of the Detroit claims to be honest, maybe some of the West Coast recordings?

Jamerson arguably one of the greatest.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Guest son of stan

Isn't there a story that Jamerson was so out of it when recording 'What's Going On' that he was laying on the floor on his back? Amazing anyway...

Social source share

Howard is the younger brother ... and only 20 ... I have know the Lawrence boys for a good few years and Howard has always played bass ... and loved his Funk ... Glasto this year was a bit disappointing for me in general .. but Disclosure was one of the high points ..as was Mogwai on the Park Stage :)

Social source share

If we are talking Bass ... for me there is only one man ..

Stanley Clarke ... and School Days has to be the track !!!

With Jaco Pastorius and Dave Entwistle a close second and third ..

Have to agree re Mr Clarke, although may disagree about which track, there

are so many truly exceptional bass licks on loads of his stuff.

Jaco ain't no slouch either, will never forget Weather Report live in Manchester circa 76. 

Social source share

Jaco ain't no slouch either, will never forget Weather Report live in Manchester circa 76.

I saw Stanley , when he came to the 02 Indigo with Return to Forever ..about 3 / 4 years ago .... he still has it down to a tee... and love his slaps :)

I know what you mean about which track ... just that School Days was one i grew up with ... bit heavy while you where growing up ..but great musicianship :)

Social source share

Jamerson falls short? :ohmy::D  Hmm ok.

This is one of my favourite Jamerson basslines: I Was made To Love Her

This is quite interesting. It's  a guy playing Joe Long's bassline to The Night but using Jamerson's one finger technique: great playing from an unknown:

Edited by maslar
Social source share

Weather Report and Jaco ...hell yea !!!

He would be a very close second in my opinion ... with a very distinctive sound ... and a handsome chap as well ... some guys just have it all ..its not fair !!

and not many knew that this was played on a bass .... Marcus Millers no slouch either :)

Edited by stevegods
Social source share

I saw Stanley , when he came to the 02 Indigo with Return to Forever ..about 3 / 4 years ago .... he still has it down to a tee... and love his slaps :)

I know what you mean about which track ... just that School Days was one i grew up with ... bit heavy while you where growing up ..but great musicianship :)

Saw Mr Clarke at Erics in Liverpool about the time School Days came out, 

ended up sleeping in Lime St. station all night.

Edited by Kegsy
Social source share

Saw Mr Clarke at Erics in Liverpool about the time School Days came out, 

ended up sleeping in Lime St. station all night.

Class mate .... wish i had been to that one ...best one for me at Eric's was John Martyn ... doing his Solid Air album ..still have my Erics membership card somewhere :) He could play a bass ..and any guitar :)

Nice one mate

Social source share

On Motown nobody could beat James Jamerson SR. (there's also his son James Jamerson jr., a good bass player himself), but runner-up for me would be the late white funk brother Robert Kreinar aka Bob Babbitt who played on a lot of great records (later on sometimes credited as "Bob Kreinar" / "Babbitt").

I'm a little surprised Babbitt doesn't get named.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

would he have come up with bass lines himself or maybe told what to play note for note?

Jamerson would have had free reign to make up a bass line and play it. That to some degree is where the greatness comes in. He could be given a song and come up with a bass line that was entirely suitable (and added to)   the song. Hence why musicians such as him were in such big demand around Detroit. Also. no one is going to tell a top player like Jamerson how to play his bass. Look what happened when Paul McCartney tried to tell George Harrison how to play his guitar.

Social source share

I'll never forget the bass player in Lonnie Liston Smith's band - awesome! If I knew how to post videos I'd put "Expansions" here.

Great record, reminds me of 'Berties' in Newquay, circa 82, another track big in that club with a great great bassline Donald Byrd, Dominoes.

Bass just doesn't get better than this folks!

Edited by MrsWoodsrules
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

On Motown nobody could beat James Jamerson SR. (there's also his son James Jamerson jr., a good bass player himself), but runner-up for me would be the late white funk brother Robert Kreinar aka Bob Babbitt who played on a lot of great records (later on sometimes credited as "Bob Kreinar" / "Babbitt").

I'm a little surprised Babbitt doesn't get named.

One thing i've noticed is that Jamerson's bass lines (played by him) are readily available on youtube but as a rule Babbitt's aren't.  So if you want to hear some of his great input on tracks like Band of Gold, Signed Sealed, Tears Of A Clown and perhaps his finest hour - Midnight Train To Georgia - in separation you have  to watch somebody else playing them. Thankfully there are some good musicians who do his work justice. 

Edited by maslar
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Great record, reminds me of 'Berties' in Newquay, circa 82, another track big in that club with a great great bassline Donald Byrd, Dominoes.

Bass just doesn't get better than this folks!

Oh yes, another great track. It's exactly the tune I was thinking of when Kjw mentioned "Blue Note" in post 25. I have this on a Live At The Blue Note album.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

And I think this is Jamerson somehow...always said so......just sounds like what he would do post Motown with a different groove...the stops, slides and playing the same note even though the chord changes..:

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Another good bass player from the late 70's MFSB days - Jimmie Williams! He is touring with The O' Jays right now and will be at the O2 next week! He also played on the four songs we did in 2008 ('Soul Recession' and 'There I go falling in love again' were released, the other two still in the can). Jimmie played on 'Ain't no stoppin' us now' for example.

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!