Melbourne - Any Recommendations?

Adi S

I can be of help here. So Thursdays there is a soul night of sorts in Town where Vince Peach and Pierre Baroni dj from 9 till about 4 AM. This is at Cherry Bar and is always packed out.....it is a student night, but has lots of good records played, particularly early on. In addition on Thursdays there are also funk dj s playing in a bar two alley ways down called Go Go bar, which is like a cocktail bar. This is where Samantha Goldie plays. She is on here from time to time. If you let her know you are coming in advance she will probably pack a soulful box for the evening....she has some fine fine records! Particlualrly in regards to crossover and sweet stuff.  There are soul nights ( of the Northern vein) but they are not always regular so it's worth checking out closer to the date. There are a shedload of Neo and new type soul bands around if thats your go and lots of them have put out 45s, which are avaliable locally.....think Cookin on 3 Burners and the like.  There are quite a few record shops, but the best for soul music is probably Northside records in Fitzroy, which has all the new releases plus some decent crates of older stuff.   There is a new soul night on the cards here which Myself, Samantha and a rocksteady collector are putting togather but I'm not sure what the dates are yet. Anyhow, there are a great little group of soulies here so don't hesitate to say hello:)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hound Dogs Bop Shop inMelbourne was a fantastic Record Shop.

Had a field day there many years ago with dozens of rare soul 45's for a few dollars each (inc Kenny Sheppard, Sandy Wynns etc.).

The owner, Denys, was a real record guy, with huge knowledge of Rock N'Roll, Rockabilly, R n'B.

If it's still going it must still be worth a visit!

:thumbsup:

Sean

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest SteveBev

does somebody have some recommondations for record shops, clubs, bars or other interesting places in melbourne?

Or knows, if some events going on end of september?

Thanks in advance!

Adi, let me know what you find as I'm out there in November. Stopping for 3 nights in Melbourne as part of the road trip from Adelaide to Sydney on the Great North Road. Have been given touristy places to check out (St Kilda etc) but always happy to pop in somewhere were the tunes are good.

Social source share

Guest SteveBev

I can be of help here. So Thursdays there is a soul night of sorts in Town where Vince Peach and Pierre Baroni dj from 9 till about 4 AM. This is at Cherry Bar and is always packed out.....it is a student night, but has lots of good records played, particularly early on. In addition on Thursdays there are also funk dj s playing in a bar two alley ways down called Go Go bar, which is like a cocktail bar. This is where Samantha Goldie plays. She is on here from time to time. If you let her know you are coming in advance she will probably pack a soulful box for the evening....she has some fine fine records! Particlualrly in regards to crossover and sweet stuff.  There are soul nights ( of the Northern vein) but they are not always regular so it's worth checking out closer to the date. There are a shedload of Neo and new type soul bands around if thats your go and lots of them have put out 45s, which are avaliable locally.....think Cookin on 3 Burners and the like.  There are quite a few record shops, but the best for soul music is probably Northside records in Fitzroy, which has all the new releases plus some decent crates of older stuff.   There is a new soul night on the cards here which Myself, Samantha and a rocksteady collector are putting togather but I'm not sure what the dates are yet. Anyhow, there are a great little group of soulies here so don't hesitate to say hello:)

Eric, cheers for the info about Cherry Bar, in Melbourne 27-29 Nov so will check that out. Any news on your possible night? Would you be up & running by then?

Social source share

Think I was lucky with going to Northside Records when over there in August.

Found it via the Diggin Melbourne guide on the Record Store Day website.

https://digginmelbourne.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/digginmelbourne-2014-web.pdf

Got a couple of singles but nothing great, but while I was browsing my wife picked up a CD 'The Soul of Melbourne' from 2012, which has a very varied selection some of which grab you early on and others grow on you.

Fitzroy area itself seems pretty cool, bit like Williamsburg in Brooklyn, but we didn't get much time there.

Edited by seano
Social source share

Many thanks for the lot of information, guys! :thumbsup:

I'm really looking forward to go there now.

Cherry bar and GoGo Bar sounds great for thursday night. I'm sure i will pop in there.

Will be in Melbourne one week for work and will add the weekend ( September 27./28.) for the record shops and some tourist things.

@Steve: I'll let you know, what i have found, Road-trip sounds nice.

Edited by Adi S
Social source share

I love Melbourn, it has a bunch of very knowledgable and soulful collectors and Dj's. As i have a 21 year old daughter there, i have visited a lot! Sam Goldie switched me on to many records as did Callum Flack. Then you have Alex White and Frankie Driscoll both with great collections. Vince runs a fun night at the Cherry so visit that.

As far as digging, these guys have already dug and i would be surprised if you find anything. I did turn up a few copies of Bethea - Ghetto Love in 2002 along with some original Jon Lucien LPs (rare), but apart from that not a lot.  My John Harris came from OZ and these guys have great stuff to trade, but you need to take great stuff to tempt them and definitely not old school Northern Soul. Great city and friendly crowd of people whenever you go out to a night.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Eric, cheers for the info about Cherry Bar, in Melbourne 27-29 Nov so will check that out. Any news on your possible night? Would you be up & running by then?

Steve, our night starts next month and the November one will be Friday 21st  8-1am. Its a slow dance party though, no northern. 100% sweet soul,  beat ballads, deep with a beat, mid tempo crossover and rocksteady. All in a tiny red lit room.... can't wait!

Edited by missgoldie
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest SteveBev

Steve, our night starts next month and the November one will be Friday 21st  8-1am. Its a slow dance party though, no northern. 100% sweet soul,  beat ballads, deep with a beat, mid tempo crossover and rocksteady. All in a tiny red lit room.... can't wait!

Cheers for the info MissG, hope it goes well, tiny red room sounds well funky! Won't be able to make that night as in Sydney then but wish you well. If you're in the Go Go Bar Thurs 27/11 (see Eric's comments) I'll try and get in there then. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest SteveBev

Many thanks for the lot of information, guys! :thumbsup:

I'm really looking forward to go there now.

Cherry bar and GoGo Bar sounds great for thursday night. I'm sure i will pop in there.

Will be in Melbourne one week for work and will add the weekend ( September 27./28.) for the record shops and some tourist things.

@Steve: I'll let you know, what i have found, Road-trip sounds nice.

Cheers Adi, look forward to getting some info from ya! :thumbsup:  Miss G been on so may try and hit the Go Go Bar on 27/11 see if she's on (see Eric's comments).

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest SteveBev

I'm at GoGo Bar every Thursday night from 8pm and Sunday's it's either Eric (that is you isn't it Daniel) or myself from 6pm

Just had a report from AdiS and he said you weren't on when he went! Are you still doing it or have you moved on and that was just a one off? :huh: He'd have been there night of 25/9 if that helps.

Also, Melbourne Eric (who was there when AdiS went in) said you are open to a few requests in advance. If I was to PM you a couple of tracks could you consider them? :)

Edited by SteveBev
Social source share

Just had a report from AdiS and he said you weren't on when he went! Are you still doing it or have you moved on and that was just a one off? :huh: He'd have been there night of 25/9 if that helps.

Also, Melbourne Eric (who was there when AdiS went in) said you are open to a few requests in advance. If I was to PM you a couple of tracks could you consider them? :)

I've just seen this. Yes I took the night off, oops. Happy to take soul requests and if I have them I play em.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest SteveBev

I've just seen this. Yes I took the night off, oops. Happy to take soul requests and if I have them I play em.

LOL! No worries, everyone deserves a night off some time just wanted to make sure you were still in situ  :thumbsup:

I'll pm you a few tracks but no worries if they don't reside in your record box :D  See you on 27/11 :yes:

Social source share

GoGo bar is definitly worth to pop in, had a nice evening there with great music and really good food too.

Thanks & Cheers to Daniel for serving me good music and cold beers :thumbsup:

We will see us next time Samatha, if i'm in melbournce once again, will come back for sure

• Helpful 2
Social source share

The Guardian article was and interesting one. The Northern soul scene is definitely growing in numbers, having just come back from the National held this year in Brisbane where 450/500 people probably attended and 10% where kids in their 20's shows pleasing shift as this has always been a 95% ex-pat scene. Within this scene 4 figure records are common, though not in the general Melbourne club nights like Cherry or Soul A Go Go which are 60's music with some northern played but these nights are populated by mostly younger kids in numbers of 400+ which is a great thing.

I've worked as a dj for 20 years and there has never been more work. Melbourne loves soul and I regularly play 5-6 nights a week however only a couple of my gigs are for dancers, the bulk of of my work is in bars and restaurants which suits me fine as I collect a lot of slower stuff.

My personal theory is that Australia has always had a high standard of living, essentially a middle class nation and that is why northern soul has never resonated with the larger population here like it has in many other countries.  

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!