Frank Wilson "do I...." Legit Test Press Surfaces

This has probably been a red hot topic early in the year but I must've been asleep or on a very long walk with our Spanker or summat.?

And no yawning at the back from Purists Anonymous but word on the street or should I say on the beach ho ho ho is that a legit one off studio test press of Frank's "Do I love you" has just surfaced in a land far far away. 

Have I made a tit of myself, has somebody been pulling my chain, open the door and DP walked right on in.

Apols if...... oh what's that expression about cat's and bag's?

First it was Darrell Banks's heart stopping black issue on UK London and now this.

Derek

And I've seen a photo of said TP so there.

Edited by Derek Pearson
Social source share

Guest tercy1960

Just a quick question what studio was it done at as I used to have the studio acetate of the b-side sweeter as the days go by.that was done at wally hieder studios in l.a. And was a slightly different mix that came out on the British single.it was a 10" inch metal acetate with reject or recoat written 3 times on the label in black marker.would do I love been done at the same time???? I remember Simon soussan possibly doing one in the seventies as John manship sold it a couple of years ago.

Social source share

Hey up Harry how's it going?

Whilst my solicitor would advise me not to say for certain that the scan you posted is the same record scan I saw at the weekend. It does look very much like it as far as I recall. Bear in mind though I didn't have mi glasses on and it was drizzling slightly and I was stood in the middle of a field.

So what's the score with this one then?

Derek

For those with eagle eyes there is a slight clue on the scan indicating where this 45 now resides.

Subtle nice one Harry.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

The "SOUL" label stamp gives it away...I got some and can testify that Motown test pressings never showed any kind of label informations. Why should they, they were done for the board to decide wether to release or not release. No one would have knownn at that stage (test press) which particular Motown label imprint the tune would later be released on..

• Helpful 2
Social source share

The "SOUL" label stamp gives it away...I got some and can testify that Motown test pressings never showed any kind of label informations. Why should they, they were done for the board to decide wether to release or not release. No one would have knownn at that stage (test press) which particular Motown label imprint the tune would later be released on..

Even iif they did know which imprint it would be released on it would almost certainly be handwritten by the pressing company as shown in the test press couple of posts back.

Social source share

Bless their cottons. Loved it. 

Off topic but worth a highlight...Stormer (Tamai) & The Stolen Hearts have been going for years with various line-ups. He deserves a nod of respect for keeping a regular Northern/Mod (and now with a splash of the seemingly obligatory Rockin' tracks!) doo going in Shibuya for many years as well. Their sets are very Northern orientated...I can still remember the first time I saw them and my shock on hearing them do covers of the Salvadors and Tomangoes etc when I had been expecting more run of the mill Motown/Atlantic stuff. Plenty of clips on YouTube of them...enjoy their enthusiasm!

Back to FW...I recall a three track 10" existing with slightly different mixes.

:thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Off topic but worth a highlight...Stormer (Tamai) & The Stolen Hearts have been going for years with various line-ups. He deserves a nod of respect for keeping a regular Northern/Mod (and now with a splash of the seemingly obligatory Rockin' tracks!) doo going in Shibuya for many years as well. Their sets are very Northern orientated...I can still remember the first time I saw them and my shock on hearing them do covers of the Salvadors and Tomangoes etc when I had been expecting more run of the mill Motown/Atlantic stuff. Plenty of clips on YouTube of them...enjoy their enthusiasm!

Back to FW...I recall a three track 10" existing with slightly different mixes.

:thumbsup: That three track 10" with different takes was owned by Alan Pollard. But was missing when I sold his collection after he died. No idea where it lives now?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!