“How’S It Going?”

Len

“How’s it going?”

I was wondering how things are ‘out there’ at present - as in attendances at venues.

I have a new venture (‘Lennys’) starting in October, because I think there is a gap in the market for a place that plays Soul music to clear the dance floor as much as is humanly possible :wink: So basically I’m wondering if all the 70 odd events every weekend are pulling in enough people. Not necessarily huge numbers, but enough to make an atmosphere - I have noticed some events are actually sold out which was unheard of a short while ago.

Before, the general view was this - too many events / not enough punters, but things seem to have changed on that score as more and more people are ‘coming out to play’

So in general, are attendances quiet healthy at most venues at the present time? / What’s your experience?

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

Edited by LEN
Social source share

I hope you are having a laugh Len

Hi mate,

No not at all, I suppose it's a bit of 'market research' on my part, but surely it's not just me who has noticed so many events sold out. Whether anyone thinks that healthy or not is besides the point, I'm wondering if that is a trend that may carry on.

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Len I have not seen an upfront venue sold out in about ten years except the 100 club anniversary if you want to do Market research get out among all the club nights through out the midlands and yorkshire and Lancashire see the "crowds" of 20/30 individuals in clubs and pubs that hold 100/150 too many nights conflicting and all that save yourself a heartache and start going out 

Edited by Roddy
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

nites down in the sw are not sold out but are certainly busy enuff to get a good atmosphere,cant remember the last time I was at a night with under about 75,exept maybe the odd free pub do and are normally between 1-200 ..saying that when they do clash with either big nites further afield or other local things (which im glad to say isn't often) there is a noticeable difference and although we still have a good time it can sometimes be a bit of an anxious time for promoters

so IMO there are enuff nites on already

• Helpful 1
Social source share

nites down in the sw are not sold out but are certainly busy enuff to get a good atmosphere,cant remember the last time I was at a night with under about 75,exept maybe the odd free pub do and are normally between 1-200 ..saying that when they do clash with either big nites further afield or other local things (which im glad to say isn't often) there is a noticeable difference and although we still have a good time it can sometimes be a bit of an anxious time for promoters

so IMO there are enuff nites on already

The choice is hardly inspiring in South West (and South Wales) though Dean. Apart from your venue, Soul Alley at Glos a/n (too infrequent) and Seriously Soulful (ditto), the rest is pretty much the usual, depressingly predictable mix of the same DJs churning out the same records time and time and time and time again........................  :sleep3:  :sleep3:  :sleep3:  :sleep3:  :sleep3:  :sleep3:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'm looking forward to your new venture Leonardo as at least it will give us all somewhere to gather to moan endlessly about anything really, preferably if its something we've not seen, attended or heard.  :thumbsup: Good work fella

Seriously as a fellow promoter hats off to you because it is bloody hard especially with upfront venues, shall see you for bad dancing on the night 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Len I have not seen an upfront venue sold out in about ten years except the 100 club anniversary if you want to do Market research get out among all the club nights through out the midlands and yorkshire and Lancashire see the "crowds" of 20/30 individuals in clubs and pubs that hold 100/150 too many nights conflicting and all that save yourself a heartache and start going out 

Yes you are right about the upfront events, they have always been harder to attract big crowds, and I know exactly what you describe ref the too many events in close proximity to each other. I thought that may be changing, and it might be because more people are coming out (or maybe a few have closed)

When I was scrolling through the calendar to pick convenient dates for 'Lennys', I was genuinely surprised when I came across a few events that were sold out - It's something I'd never seen before.

Maybe it's wishful thinking :wink: 

Edited by LEN
Social source share

I'm looking forward to your new venture Leonardo as at least it will give us all somewhere to gather to moan endlessly about anything really, preferably if its something we've not seen, attended or heard.  :thumbsup: Good work fella

Seriously as a fellow promoter hats off to you because it is bloody hard especially with upfront venues, shall see you for bad dancing on the night 

I shall never dance again! :lol: 

With ref 'Lennys', I will try my best to make it somewhere different, but I've asked the D.J's not to think about it to much and to just enjoy playing exactly what they want (Which in itself is something I feel is missing sometimes) If I think it's 'just another night' I won't bother to carry it on (let's see how it goes) :wink:

Maybe it is just me, but I feel 'things are a changing' that's all. It may be that it's time for the next generation of returnees to arrive (The 80's Tribe!) who knows?

Edited by LEN
Social source share

So am I right in thinking that despite all the hype and we have never had it so good that infact at grass roots level it's on it's arse? and only the big gigs are actually doing the numbers?

I dunno Mark - That's what I'm asking to :D 

Social source share

I don't think so...KH second room,rugby second room,gloucester second room,different strokes,empty bottles,driving beat,soulfunktion,burnley,100 club,lifeline/pow wow,vava voom,rnb123,nowt but northern,seriously soulful and gogo in Bristol are all playing something different and although ive not been to them all as I understand it from peoples posts who I BELIEVE are all doing well

they may not be sell outs or having the same numbers as the oldies only  things but lets face it that's the point in being underground innit? and by that I mean the mainstream has never been cutting edge..whether its mainstream music in general or mainstream northern scene

Edited by spacehopper
Social source share

Is there a monthly event that is busy every month?

with the risk of being accused of blatant self promotion I will answer your question anyway :) weve never had less than 75 in about 5 years every month and although weve had 200 the 75 night was brilliant! a nite that clashed with about 4 other nights I think

never been as its on the same time as us but I believe different strokes in Manchester  is also always busy and is a monthly night

Social source share

with the risk of being accused of blatant self promotion I will answer your question anyway :) weve never had less than 75 in about 5 years every month and although weve had 200 the 75 night was brilliant! a nite that clashed with about 4 other nights I think

never been as its on the same time as us but I believe different strokes in Manchester  is also always busy and is a monthly night

Hi mate,

Although I don't doubt these were very enjoyable nights (As you know) 75 isn't a busy night, although reading your post, it was obviously enough to create a good atmosphere. The recent 'Rushden Bowls Club' nights I used to help promote once went down to 170, and we thought that wasn't good enough. But that was for the type of night it was (I'm sure 'Lennys' will be less than that)

(Sorry to mention this 'again' btw) The Embankment Club nights I ran had an average of 160 people for 15 years - only once did it go down to 120, and I really did 'take notice' of that. Obviously looking back I was silly to worry, but that was a different time :wink: 

Thanks for your feed-back.

All the best,

P.s - Actually, I've just re-read your post - I think you mean 75 was the lowest ever, and that you mean you usually get 120? + in - Great stuff :wink: 

Edited by LEN
Social source share

yeah 75 lowest ever..we also get maybe 40 from around Bristol who are not on the soul scene..this particular night aswell as various soul events was also the st pauls carnival..a once a year thing with reggae sound systems and free parties all night!

I think though,obviously depending on the venue it doesn't have to be about filling a hall to the rafters or even BIG halls..its about getting the right size for your event and creating an atmosphere...soul function for instance is in a small hall but perfectly sized for the crowd that go there,only about 75 but that's enough and 75 top people too!..i believe there are enough events on as I have said but good luck with your venture I hope maybe to come along ..so long as it doesn't clash :thumbsup: as there are still events ive not managed to get to yet already!

atb

dean

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Thought I’d share this funny story with you……

My poor wife Nina, actually dreamt about ‘Lennys’ last night (can’t think why!)  :D  

She woke up early this morning, laughing, to tell me that in my ‘quest to offer something different’, I’d booked “Hawkwind” to play live.

Alas, in true rock ‘n’ roll style, on the way ‘to the gig’ their van had broken down so they didn’t make it….The next morning (remember this is a dream) I said to her….”Actually Nina, it’s lucky they broke down, in hindsight I don’t think Hawkwind would have worked at a Soul Night” :D 

Incidentally, last night Nina and I watched Metal Britannia on catch up, so I’m guessing that was where the rock influence came from!

Social source share

“How’s it going?”

I was wondering how things are ‘out there’ at present - as in attendances at venues.

I have a new venture (‘Lennys’) starting in October, because I think there is a gap in the market for a place that plays Soul music to clear the dance floor as much as is humanly possible :wink: So basically I’m wondering if all the 70 odd events every weekend are pulling in enough people. Not necessarily huge numbers, but enough to make an atmosphere - I have noticed some events are actually sold out which was unheard of a short while ago.

Before, the general view was this - too many events / not enough punters, but things seem to have changed on that score as more and more people are ‘coming out to play’

So in general, are attendances quiet healthy at most venues at the present time? / What’s your experience?

All the best,

How,s it going? Well,here in Crewe at the Crosville Club we,re coming up to 14 years(including a forced venue change).During that time we must have averaged about 130 and during the last 12 months 150/200.There is almost always a great atmosphere in a place that holds about 300, tops.Why does it seem to work and others fail? I have no idea! The music is fairly predictable,barring a few oddities,the punters are mostly local but there are some travellers and nearly always someone we,ve never seen before.As far as the number of events is concerned,I think there are too many using the same menu on the same week-end in the same area.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!