Too Many Venues

Speedlimit

Guest Carl Dixon

Well, I must pipe up. Each one has their own agenda and playlist/D J's. It means individuals can have a choice of roughly the music they dance too. I quite like that notion.

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

Well, I must pipe up. Each one has their own agenda an playlist/D J's. It means individuals can have a choice of roughly the music they dance too. I quite like that notion.

I was merely stating why there are so many venues on the same night. Hundreds of Dj's need hundreds of venues.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Indeed...duly noted. It could be a paradox couldn't it. I went to a recent London event with no more than 30 attendees in a rather large hall. It lacked atmosphere because of the low numbers but, bags of room on the dance floor. Another London event I go to, I leave early because there are too many people walking across the smaller dance floor with their spilling drinks and it is packed, plus the talc brigade making certain parts of the floor lethal. You can't please all the people...and that includes me I guess.

Maybe the new film might get a few people out and attend regularly.

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

Well, I must pipe up. Each one has their own agenda and playlist/D J's. It means individuals can have a choice of roughly the music they dance too. I quite like that notion.

The vast majority don't offer a choice, just a choice of who is DJing, the vast majority play the same old same records, that isn't beneficial to the scene.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I have yet to witness a club voluntarily closing in order that another may benefit from higher numbers............so it maybe a fairly long term process (or a continued economic upturn - less clubs desperate for do's and punters) for the number to fall................

However, its not really about the number of do's but the quality (relative to those who attend) -  if they are all "great" nites then is it an issue ....... ?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Well, I must admit, when I see a non soulie come on the floor shaking their tail feathers it makes me wonder whether they look stupid or I do. I was a non soulie once.......but once the elders had shown me the light, it has never gone out. I think admission to the good events should be £100. If you act, perform and respect the music, you get £95 back on the way out!

Social source share

Just turned the gig down...oh well there will be bootleg Dave to jump in i suppose.I want to be at a venue where i can bump into people and talk shit about records etc.I also want to be asking the question whats this?? Oldies were great in the mid 90 s because of all the crap that was being played because it was rare.Now they are hammered and boring.Tons of northern underplayed oldies with the right beat out there but thats a bit hard for bootleg"its whats in the grooves that count" Dave

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Just turned the gig down...oh well there will be bootleg Dave to jump in i suppose.I want to be at a venue where i can bump into people and talk shit about records etc.I also want to be asking the question whats this?? Oldies were great in the mid 90 s because of all the crap that was being played because it was rare.Now they are hammered and boring.Tons of northern underplayed oldies with the right beat out there but thats a bit hard for bootleg"its whats in the grooves that count" Dave

Yourself and Chalky hit the nail on the head,the scene full of the same old oldies.We could have crossover ,funky soul,sweet /low rider,album tracks,underplayed 6ts,7ts,8ts but no its 95% same old top 500 and a bit of Drizabone for the old ladies.

Life line and Va Va do a good job but very little else worth going to to hear something new.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

If bootlegs and re-issues didn't exist there would be the right amount of venues and DJ's

I don't know about that, there were plenty of boots and reissues in the 80s, but back then most people had respect and integrity. That's the difference in my opinion. Nowadays no one gives a toss.

Social source share

Agree above there is some poor events , but there are great events , whether too many I am unsure only time will tell if they

survive , you certainly have to work at it too get any sort of following and offering great ATB on original vinyl works for me .

there is definitely a growing number of "handbag " events , but if the punters want it , who are we too judge , I still believe

if you play quality soul music you will come through,complacency has no place today .

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I don't know about that, there were plenty of boots and reissues in the 80s, but back then most people had respect and integrity. That's the difference in my opinion. Nowadays no one gives a toss.

Me and my teenage mates played boots and reissues (well - Sue, Soul City, etc) and compilation LPs  in the 80s but that's because we were skint and were only trying to entertain ourselves and our mates, not compete with serious all-nighters. Once we all got decent jobs they were out in the bin, which may have been a mistake given what some people pay for them now!

Social source share

Well I say thank god for plenty of venues ,most of em play the same 40 - 50 tunes,and I personally am sick to death of hearing em, but there are the odd few venues that don't, I'm pleased to say ,just getting hard to find these days

Bazza   :hatsoff2:

Edited by Bazza
Social source share

Yourself and Chalky hit the nail on the head,the scene full of the same old oldies.We could have crossover ,funky soul,sweet /low rider,album tracks,underplayed 6ts,7ts,8ts but no its 95% same old top 500 and a bit of Drizabone for the old ladies.

Life line and Va Va do a good job but very little else worth going to to hear something new.

Soul Funk-Tion is well worth a visit.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Va va Voom is one of the few London gigs I go to.Last one I heard,Sherlock Holmes Standing At A Standstill...Dean Anderson played it.I havent heard that out in years..a nice oldie and a suprise.There are hundreds of oldies like this.If this film takes off the Northern Soul And Motown night "on vinyl" will be everywhere.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Agree above there is some poor events , but there are great events , whether too many I am unsure only time will tell if they

survive , you certainly have to work at it too get any sort of following and offering great ATB on original vinyl works for me .

there is definitely a growing number of "handbag " events , but if the punters want it , who are we too judge , I still believe

if you play quality soul music you will come through,complacency has no place today .

That's not my experience mate, especially if you are on a monthly basis. Most of the so called up front venues are 4 times a year, because they can't get the support every month.

Social source share

If I owned those records, I'd play them as well. As would any other person, and that's the problem. I would play them interspersed with lesser known tunes and not one after the other, and that's the difference. Mix it up a bit. 

They haven't the imagination to mix it up a bit, otherwise we wouldn't keep getting these topics.

Social source share

Better to have too many venues than too few. They're mainly local and regional events catering to short distance travellers so transport costs aren't a big issue. I suspect it's the younger element that are DJing so that's a healthy aspect of the current renaissance. For sure the records could and should be more varied than the Brice Coefield-Nolan Porter-Marvin Gaye-Donna Colman-Al Wilson sequence played out time and time and time again. Maybe the real issue is the lack of top drawer national events like The 100 Club, Kings Hall, Keele?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

There is definitely too many venues...now what happens??

Nowt. Unless you set up a Northern Soul Police to close down venues. Poor events won't survive but even if they linger on, it becomes no different to sitting in a quiet pub with better music in the background and a dance floor for those up for it. If someone wants to promote a venue, let them: we should be encouraging attendance not clamping down on minor events.

Social source share

Nowt. Unless you set up a Northern Soul Police to close down venues. Poor events won't survive but even if they linger on, it becomes no different to sitting in a quiet pub with better music in the background and a dance floor for those up for it. If someone wants to promote a venue, let them: we should be encouraging attendance not clamping down on minor events.

Well that's that sorted then, there's no problem....

Social source share

Right amount of venues IMHO given the variety of soul available; Motown, R&B, Modern, funk, Classics - top 100, oldies, rare etc. People pick the venue according to their taste in soul.

Personally I avoid venues that play a lot of modern, R&B and funk; but I sincerely wish those venues well because though they don't suit me they satisfy the needs of others. 

If you had a few major venues where would they be sited because a lot of people can't or wont travel long distances, what would be the target audience, what is their music policy etc. Its too hard to satisfy everyone on the scene.

So far this year we have attended Minehead, Prestatyn, Bridlington, weekenders; the Keele and Stoke allnighters but we can't do em all until The National Lottery get it right and draw the six numbers on my ticket. :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest kev such

Not this again.

There's no way the amount of events can be regulated or minimalised.

An event will survive on the simple understanding that if people go it'll survive, if they dont it wont.

The idea of others events closing down to accommodate a certain promoters ego is rediculous, and why should they shut down to benefit another event.

Maybe the case of promoters being at the helm of multiple events in one area, with the same pals guesting for each other continuously ( week in week out) over a four week period is a part of the problem? If the same people promote the same based events every available weekend, that'll dilute it way more than random people putting an event on.

Also surely people who just cant let it go when they have promoted and it hasnt worked, just move to another venue and try to flog that dead horse again and again and again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  But ponitificicate and bemoan "theres too many do's on" when they're misguided egotistical definition of "what it should be" doesnt work again.

NO-one has the right to dictate who can and cannot put an event on wether its monthly, yearly or anywhere in between, good luck to them I say. sink or swim the people will let you know either way.

Edited by kev such
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Never going to happen, and we have discussed it to death on many occasions. 

The nub of it is this, back in the day there were a handful of Dj's and hundreds of people who just wanted to dance. Now there are hundreds of Dj's and just a handful of people who can dance.

That is all.

yep  always makes me laugh  when someone pops out of the woodwork  spends a year or so doing the following    1collecting the big stuff 2attending everywhere he may think he fits in and gladhanding all and sundry,3 tells us everywhere he goes is great (wether it is or not) bigging up the dj,s ect   so he can get some spots.....then lastly  when he gets no spots........usually after about 2-1/2 years......he looses his mojo and sells his tunes never to be seen again............never occurs to these people to just go OUT and enjoy

As far as too many venues   there could be a million.......l go to 3 or 4 predominately,regardless what else is on on that night........as l,ll wager do most

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!