Mike Raven's R+B Show Theme Tune

Guest Michael Wilkins

Guest Michael Wilkins

Hi, I rember listening to Mike Ravens Show on Radio 1 while still at school and was wondering does anybody know what his theme tune was?

Social source share

I'm that old too! My memory might be failing me here, but I thought he had the Willie Mitchell version as his theme first then switched to the Mike Cotton version later. 

Yep......I think you be correct Alan!

Social source share

When the show first started Mr Raven used the Beau Dollar version and got a lot of feedback from listeners about how could they get hold of a copy.  I'm not sure but I strongly suspect that the BD version wasn't available in the UK at the time so I suppose seeing an opportunity to make the tune available to listeners and make a few bob he got Mike Cotton onto it.  Once the Mike Cotton version was released Mr Raven used that version for his sig tune instead of the BD version.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Absolute  ' must listen ' radio.......but only until 7-30pm ? I was too thick then to stay and listen to the blues etc played after that. It was [ I believe ] new releases mainly for the first 30 mins.

Heard Jerry Butler, many Action things, etc etc, : then off to  ' Browns '  [ a flecky, but god I loved it ] dance hall youth club type thingie on the Sunday night.

Then buy or order the best record I'd heard on the Sunday evening  prog,  in my lunchtime on the Monday following day [ usually at White and Swales in Stretford ]. 

Pete

Is this post more ' last of the summer wine ', rather than ' all our yesterdays ' ! 

Social source share

Guest Michael Wilkins

Thanks guys, I was born in 1955 and it was listening to this show that turned me on to Soul, I just thought wow there is nothing else like this music, I think the 1st, record I remenber hearing on this show was Doris Troy I'll Do Anything,

Social source share

On a similar theme, can anyone tell me the Pete Young Soul Cellar theme tune "they say this isa big fat town but I know where the soul is at, bah bah bah bah, the sound of soul city!" Probably really obvious but always eluded me :-)

It's Lou Rawls "Dead End Street"

Edited by daved
Social source share

When the show first started Mr Raven used the Beau Dollar version and got a lot of feedback from listeners about how could they get hold of a copy.  I'm not sure but I strongly suspect that the BD version wasn't available in the UK at the time so I suppose seeing an opportunity to make the tune available to listeners and make a few bob he got Mike Cotton onto it.  Once the Mike Cotton version was released Mr Raven used that version for his sig tune instead of the BD version.

Sounds right. I met Mike Cotton a few times playing jazz at the 100 Club. Smashing bloke who could laugh about having rejected Joe Cocker as a lead singer as he was a greaser and the band were all mods and then later rejected Reg Dwight as a keyboards player for being too short and square.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL .... WHAT A TOFF, BUT HE KNEW HIS STUFF,  I was lucky enough to be able to listen to his show on pirate radio, and also to meet him in the 7ts,

I have a couple of his LPs that are worth getting, in fact I recommend them,

TRA SAM 5 - THE MIKE RAVEN SHOW, BLUES SAMPLER. TRANSATLANTIC.

XTRA 1047 - THE MIKE RAVEN - BLUES SHOW.

BOTH ARE UK ISSUED LPs.

the 2nd LP is more rare than the 1st, however I have not seen both for sale for a long time.

can give more info if need it?? :g: DAVE K

post-13241-0-35991200-1411077501_thumb.j

Social source share

Interesting to see how people remember the sequence of this show.  My recollection is that he started with soul, then onto R&B; the third section was electric/post war blues and then finally he ended with country/ pre-war blues.  The lengths of the segments within the hour show tended to depend on what new releases/reissues were around that week.  Needless to say he played more soul than country blues.  I wonder if people remember records that they bought because they heard Mr Raven play them.  I'll open the bidding with "Good Day Sunshine" by Roy Redmond.  Any takers?

Social source share

• 9 years later...

Mike Raven got into horror films after he left Radio 1 ... 

Later on he (& his family) moved to Cornwall, where he became a sheep farmer. His health made him give this up & so he turned to art (creating sculptures). He'd changed his name, which made him difficult to track down. Mike died in 1997, and was buried in a grave he had dug for himself on Bodmin Moor (which is where he was still living at the time).

MikeRaven.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!