Is There One Tune You're Sick Of Hearing

Bazza

I live in the East Mids and don't get to nights much currently, but there seems to be a fair selection of do's on - are they all that bad?!

Apart from a couple ,they are ,and some are packed 200 - 300, I honestly get bored to tears with em

Bazza   :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I live in the East Mids and don't get to nights much currently, but there seems to be a fair selection of do's on - are they all that bad?!

All (well most) playing the same records as they were 15 years ago when I first started getting fed up with hearing them :huh:

I go occasionally, hoping something might have changed……….. it hasn't

Social source share

Guest Aaron Darcy

For me it has to be "The constellations - I don't Know About You"

How I hate that record :(  :yes:

Bazza   :hatsoff2:

Yes all the records played  at local do's ' the list is endless 

Social source share

Charles flipping Sheffield................I'd work my voodoo on that git, given half a chance...........and the bigger git playing it.

Funny how R&B which to me sound too near Rock and Roll (no harmonies )is excepted on an oldies/local night.

But mention a little funky soul (unless its the crow) and they light torches and grab pitch forks and its "quick to the windmill" :ohmy:

Records nominations are the Virbrations - Cause your mine  and Jackie Wilson's -Because of you

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I don't like these negative topics!    Which record do you hate the most type of thing!

So depressing to read a lot of people critizing and disrespecting the music!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest kev such

Epitome of Sound! ZZZZZZZZZZ - somebody play the other side for a change........

Dave West was going to play "You dont love me" Saturday night at Skeggy. I convinced him to turn it over, he did and played "Where were you". 3 people danced to it!!!!!!!!!!   Dont figure.

Kev

Social source share

Happy...Pharrell Williams!x At one time a couple of weeks back we trawled through 40+ radio stations catchable in the middle of the Med.....and whilst scouring....14 had the tune on....independently! We couldn;t believe it...so went through the channels again...and yup...14 were spinning it randomly out of 40 stations.......wanted to jump in the sea and float away....honest!x I am a happy person....I am....but.....they've deaded it.

@@
~
LUV
SOOTY
X

...amazingly folk...as a newbie attendee arriving at the heart of the scene in '93.....the most regular comments I heard was....play 'Where were you'....and....try spinning Nolan Porter If Only I could....as it had been a forgotten oldie I was told! I spun both Nationally...and both went 'massive' for me! Nolan Porter hadn't been spun at major functions I understood and so it got plugged wherever I went! Same with Jimmy Frasier....or the YOPS issue I had! The instru had been done back in the day as such I was told but the vocal had been left behind! Probably the biggest 'revival' record I had success with in the 90's and was demanded at the time! Let Her Go Otis Smith was the other big 'revival' tune I was asked for wherever I went...and...i'm So Happy....which became a signature tune to kick off with at me spot....'93-99.....would I get away with em today??!!! I gather not!!!hehe!x BUT I DID!!!! Last time out...last year....rammed the floor with all 3 still....! Time and place for every tune....just takes a DJ to know when that time is....I reckon!x

@@
~

Edited by SOOTY
Social source share

Dee Clark - That's My Girl...

Ouch.....top ten on the 90's....by demand....generated thanx to Rambler of Cambridge....in his bedroom....1993! !x I took it from him with his advice as an oldie that had never been given 'stick' and raaaan with it Nationwide! Din't play that one last year tho.....gave it away 1999!x

@@

~

LUV

SOOTY

X

Social source share

one I did like but im bored with is Nolan porter-if I could only be sure...great record but please give it a rest!!!

I was going to say it when I finished reading the thread but you beat me to it!  I have been sick of this song for YEARS!

Social source share

Most of the top 100 are played to death and in need of a rest.

If DJ's removed 50% of the 45's they played from their box and replaced them with different tunes then after they have done several sets their play list may sound very different and keep the sound fresh.  Audiences deserve interesting tunes and should be excited about the next tune belting out of the speakers instead of hearing the same old same old.

Does this topic arise because of the scenes DJ shortcomings. Whether that be lazy DJing, lack of imagination, lack of records owned by the DJ's, insecurity or a combination of these that results in most venues pumping out the same tunes every Friday and Saturday?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

If DJ's removed 50% of the 45's they played from their box and replaced them with different tunes then after they have done several sets their play list may sound very different and keep the sound fresh.  Audiences deserve interesting tunes and should be excited about the next tune belting out of the speakers instead of hearing the same old same old.

Does this topic arise because of the scenes DJ shortcomings. Whether that be lazy DJing, lack of imagination, lack of records owned by the DJ's, insecurity or a combination of these that results in most venues pumping out the same tunes every Friday and Saturday?

The DJ's are only partially to blame, mostly its the crowd unwilling to listen and dance to anything not in their comfort zone.

Then there's the dreaded spectre of "emptying the floor" which is where the promotors come in

• Helpful 2
Social source share

“What came first, the Records or the D.J?”........Some people accumulated loads of records because they loved them, then decided to share them (D.J)…….Others decided to D.J, then bought the records.....

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The DJ's are only partially to blame, mostly its the crowd unwilling to listen and dance to anything not in their comfort zone.

Then there's the dreaded spectre of "emptying the floor" which is where the promotors come in

Are you sure it's the crowd, I don't think they are that blinkered.

At the Monaco a few weeks ago Andy McCabe and myself double decked and played a lot of tunes that are outside the top 100 but we kept the floor busy; lots of classic Wigan dancers (which are underplayed these days).  

Why blame customers if the shortcomings are the DJ's, the customers go to dance and its up to those behind the decks to make sure the tunes played are dancers; they don't have to play top 100 to satisfy the customer needs. 

The organiser/promoter was happy with the tunes we played and after the event several people told me it was a bloody good hour's dancing and would like more of the same.  :)

Social source share

Every record mentioned on here someone will love someone will hate..........you can't please everyone all the time.
Seriously fed up though of do's where everyone wants the same bloody records over and over again...........even play oldies they don't know and they don't want to know...don't get how people want to listen to the same tunes again and again and then get into what i'm leading on to .... my hate "Tribute - Bob Sinclair"...what thats got to do with northern soul i'll never know!!
Went to a small local do and without a word of a lie i was the only one not on the dance floor at end of night when they played this!!!
Is it me???
Social source share

If you have a load of D.J’s whose only influence is each other, it stands to reason that you will get similar records played ……..However, if you get a load of D.J’s that collected records first, you will get more of a variety of records played - Of course they will also be influenced by what they hear others play, but this is only part of their résumé.

I’m not saying either is wrong, in fact in my experience the type of D.J I prefer who tries to play something a bit unique to the ‘norm’, more often than not gets bad press, which is a shame.

Len :thumbsup: 

P.s - I loved the 'Pyramid Post' btw :D 

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Pyramid - Soul Bros Inc. 

There I said it. Everyone say's they love it because all their mates love it but secretly they all hate the bloody thing & dare not admit it for fear of ridicule & you all hate it too.

Oohh but it's oh so Soulful though. No it's not it's dirge & I'm sick of hearing cock waving DJ's playing it every time I go out.

Cunnie,bog off.!! :) .Great record. :thumbup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Every record mentioned on here someone will love someone will hate..........you can't please everyone all the time.
Seriously fed up though of do's where everyone wants the same bloody records over and over again...........even play oldies they don't know and they don't want to know...don't get how people want to listen to the same tunes again and again and then get into what i'm leading on to .... my hate "Tribute - Bob Sinclair"...what thats got to do with northern soul i'll never know!!
Went to a small local do and without a word of a lie i was the only one not on the dance floor at end of night when they played this!!!
Is it me???

No its not you.Moth and flame springs to mind. A truly awful tune.

What i can't understand on this thread is the negativity.Same comment keeps coming up - "sick of hearing the same tunes when i go out"......then go somewhere else that's a bit more off the wall,that takes a chance,were the dj's can stretch their proverbials........oh forgot ....there's nowhere like that,,,,, is there.?

Woe,woe, and thrice woe.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!