Sisters Love- Learning To Trust My Man?

SHEFFSOUL

Always wondered what the story was on this? I first heard this i think early '75 in Mr M's..any US release? or did it come from an album? or was it Uk only?? released in '73..how did it first appear on the northern scene, i suspect a Mecca first spin but thats just a guess..anyone enlighten me?

Social source share

Always wondered what the story was on this? I first heard this i think early '75 in Mr M's..any US release? or did it come from an album? or was it Uk only?? released in '73..how did it first appear on the northern scene, i suspect a Mecca first spin but thats just a guess..anyone enlighten me?

I don't know any answers to your questions - but, a proper blast to the past. I really used to like this - I still do.

Peter

:thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

As far as I know it was a uk only release. Came out as a single first on Mowest in 73 MW3009 seem to remember it being played at Wigan even though it was a new release, although I could be wrong. My old friend John Clement has a better memory than me. Thelma Houston I ain't going nowhere was played at Wigan as an album track and that was a current release.

Social source share

I seem to remember John Vincent being one of the first to play it same era as " Send him back" ...

Yep, the Sisters Love was deffo a Samantha's biggie and virtually a staple in many a playbox. There was a spate of Mowest action in that period with Frankie Valli and Thelma Houston's "I Ain't Going Nowhere" all pretty massive. 

I'm still waiting for the Bobby Taylor U.S. Mowest track to take off one day......

Ian D  :D

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Alan Rhodes was the guy who played this first. It was a Wigan sound, played by Alan and he played it elsewhere first. I think, and only think, he was first to play The Night -  Frankie Valli, I can check when I get home this weekend, he was mentioned in a Blues and Soul I have from way back. 

It wasn't a Mecca sound.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It was pretty big in 74/75 but I doubt you heard it "early 75 in Mr M's" ................ it didn't open till Sept 75!

Another great example of the non existent oldies v newies rift, especially on the dance floor.

P.S. Written by good-old Pam Sawyer (puffs chest out with pride) :)

Edited by Drewtg
Social source share

It was pretty big in 74/75 but I doubt you heard it "early 75 in Mr M's" ................ it didn't open till Sept 75!

Another great example of the non existent oldies v newies rift, especially on the dance floor.

Hmmn..i thought i remember Mr M's being open around the same time as the first Anniversary ( Sept '74) but it was a long time ago..still they played some great records in there..often much better than the main room..

Social source share

Guest Dave Ward

I have never, ever heard of any record being played for the first time in Mr M's, but, I'll stand to be corrected. However I heard this in the main room and I loved dancing to it.

Edited by Dave Ward
Social source share

I have never, ever heard of any record being played for the first time in Mr M's, but, I'll stand to be corrected. However I heard this in the main room and I loved dancing to it.

I couldn't stand M's but I have to say they did play stacks of records I heard for the first time in there, they were known records but either too common or just to ancient to be played in the main room.  Prime example "Better use your head" by Dennis D'Ell, M's was the only place I ever heard that played.

Social source share

I remember hearing Hi Frequency - Summertime being played in M's as a new release...I'm sure they had their moments :wink:

Social source share

Guest Dave Ward

f*ck the other records, you anoraks!  :lol: we're supposed to be talking about sisters love here!!

" This remake of one of the Sisters Love classics, "I'm Learning To Trust My Man", was a song that was easily one of the biggest Northern Soul hits of all time, and so rare on an original 45. Sisters Love started out with A&M Records in the mid-sixties with a string of soul hits, hitting big with "Forget It I've Got It". They then joined Motown's new West Coast label in the late sixties, Mowest, turning out classic after classic such as "Mr. Fixit Man", "I'm Learning To Trust My Man", and "Give Me Your Love". The group were disbanded for many years, but thanks to the hard work and efforts of Vermettya Royster and Rudy Cavlo, they reformed and came back together again and recorded for Motorcity Records. They completed many tracks, including "No More Broken Hearts", "Saturday Night, Sunday Morning", "Motorcity Magic", "Something About You" and "Nowhere To Run". When we filmed "The Strange World Of Northern Soul", Rudy Calvo went one step further, and got the whole original line-up of Sisters Love back together for "I'm Learning To Trust My Man".The utterly fabulous Vermettya redefines the word "Diva" with a Capital "D". Larger than life and utterly utterly outrageous " -Ian Levine 2007- (I'll pull me hood up now).
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

" This remake of one of the Sisters Love classics, "I'm Learning To Trust My Man", was a song that was easily one of the biggest Northern Soul hits of all time, and so rare on an original 45. Sisters Love started out with A&M Records in the mid-sixties with a string of soul hits, hitting big with "Forget It I've Got It". They then joined Motown's new West Coast label in the late sixties, Mowest, turning out classic after classic such as "Mr. Fixit Man", "I'm Learning To Trust My Man", and "Give Me Your Love". The group were disbanded for many years, but thanks to the hard work and efforts of Vermettya Royster and Rudy Cavlo, they reformed and came back together again and recorded for Motorcity Records. They completed many tracks, including "No More Broken Hearts", "Saturday Night, Sunday Morning", "Motorcity Magic", "Something About You" and "Nowhere To Run". When we filmed "The Strange World Of Northern Soul", Rudy Calvo went one step further, and got the whole original line-up of Sisters Love back together for "I'm Learning To Trust My Man".The utterly fabulous Vermettya redefines the word "Diva" with a Capital "D". Larger than life and utterly utterly outrageous " -Ian Levine 2007- (I'll pull me hood up now).

Dave, they had a 45 out on Man-Child in '68 prior to A&M  .. This Time Tomorrow / I Know You Love Me

and a release on Cal-State in '72 "Do It Right Now" which was recorded back when they were with Man-Child

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Guest Dave Ward

Dave, they had a 45 out on Man-Child in '68 prior to A&M  .. This Time Tomorrow / I Know You Love Me

and a release on Cal-State in '72 "Do It Right Now" which was recorded back when they were with Man-Child

Ok Dave, I'll pass the anorak onto you, take care of it !
Social source share

I couldn't stand M's but I have to say they did play stacks of records I heard for the first time in there, they were known records but either too common or just to ancient to be played in the main room.  Prime example "Better use your head" by Dennis D'Ell, M's was the only place I ever heard that played.

What a truly terrible record! Who would want to hear it more than once?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Dave Ward

Pete S, I admit, I had never heard the Dennis D'Ell version before you mentioned it, so of course I had to go and have a listen. This site needs tighter moderation.

Edited by Dave Ward
Social source share

Thelma Houston's ,"I aint going nowhere" is very ordinary. Mrs Bolan's version beats it hand down....  

""Yep, the Sisters Love was deffo a Samantha's biggie and virtually a staple in many a playbox. There was a spate of Mowest action in that period with Frankie Valli and Thelma Houston's "I Ain't Going Nowhere" all pretty massive. "

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!