Looking For Marvin?

Mark R

Problem was Dave D, that no one was importing them, so I bought one from USA and had to stand their postage costs.......and we all know how much that can be these days.  £10 for the record and £10 for postage, so mine cost £20 all told.

That makes £17 a bargain, and even more so against the Soul Source prices!!  It's a new release and just needs a bit of legwork to find one............no need to succumb to the "I have a spare of......" ..............................for now!

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Was this CD only before - I remember Robbie Vincent playing it years ago on Jazz FM

Came out on a rather dubious 4 track 12" about 15 years ago. Got mine off Mike Stevens in Manchester & asked him if they were legit & he didn't say they weren't but didn't say they were either. Were very good looking colourful copy's & were in good quality covers. Sold out very quickly & were followed by a cheap & nasty looking white label thing. Will dig it out later & try to post up a pic.

Think these new presses are a slightly different mix as well. Will confirm when it lands at Dixon towers.

Social source share

Was this CD only before - I remember Robbie Vincent playing it years ago on Jazz FM

Was first to be found here, unless someone can tell me different...........

post-4568-0-30574300-1411150439_thumb.jp

Different take to the 12" release though.........not played 'em back to back but I think I prefer the CD version actually!

Nice to have a record like this on the plastic though........

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

attachicon.gifMarvin+Gaye+-+The+Very+Best+Of+Marvin+Gaye+-+SHM+CD-464785.jpg

Different take to the 12" release though.........not played 'em back to back but I think I prefer the CD version actually!

Nice to have a record like this on the plastic though........

Cheers,

Mark R

Is the CD cut the same as the boot 12" Mark? 

Wondering how many different mixes there actually are.

Social source share

As I said before, this came out on the vinyl version of the expanded 'lets get it on' album along with all the other unreleased tracks, so it's not the first vinyl release. However, woman of the world is the first release of any kind, so it's worth your dollar for sure!

oh and there are two 12" boots of wawg, one with the whistling, one without,

cheers Sutty

Edited by Sutty
Social source share

Is the CD cut the same as the boot 12" Mark? 

Wondering how many different mixes there actually are.

The boot 12" that came out some years ago is the same cut as the CD. The boot was the only vinyl of it ( I thought). There are a couple of dodgy house/club tracks on the boot and 'where are we going' seems a bit incongruent on the 12" really. The new 12" is a slightly different mix and like Mark, I actually prefer the boot version, although there really isn't much in it. At least with this new 12" you get Marvin's awesome 'Woman of the world' and Donald Byrd's better version of 'where are we going' (IMO).

Edited by jordirip
Social source share

attachicon.gifMarvin+Gaye+-+The+Very+Best+Of+Marvin+Gaye+-+SHM+CD-464785.jpg

It's also on"Let's Get It On" Deluxe edition : https://www.discogs.com/Marvin-Gaye-Lets-Get-It-On-Deluxe-Edition/release/391997

I couldn't find "Woman Of The World on DFTMC, but what a beautiful song !

Here is a very short interview of the Mizell Brothers about it :

Social source share

Got released in 2002 Jordi. Thought it was a couple of years earlier tbh. 

Several other things on the same label & here's a pic of one in it's cover. My Marvin is in the same sleeve.

Ok, for the 4th time, let's clear this all up :)

First played from DAT, Chris Phillips on kiss, I still have the tape of it with the story of how he got sent it from one of the Mizzells and Marvin was staying with them in LA and they recorded 2 tracks in their basement one night. He was in LA mixing lets get it on. They of course wrote and produced for Donald Byrd.

Some years later the best of cd came out & I told everyone on EMS email list the day it came out, I remember Gareth Donovan pretending he had some late night shopping to do to his missus that night as it was bizarrely sold initially through Tescos as a cheap comp.

then the alt version was on the lets get it on expanded cd - Funk and soul 12 was booted from this and contains 3 other tracks as well from that edition

Then booted again on the biscuit 12 from the best of cd

then it came out on vinyl on the motown lets get it on expanded edition 2xLP.

now this 12, which contains the 2nd Mizzells track, never previously released.

and lets not forget the Funk Inc version, which is great too.

Ciao Sutty

the funk and soul 12  is the same as greatest hits..not the lets get it on deluxe.. the company was legit... just the rights to issue were a bit `cloudy`lol ..but then again darrell banks on uk london was cloudy also

Edited by dave pinch
Social source share

the funk and soul 12  is the same as greatest hits..not the lets get it on deluxe.. the company was legit... just the rights to issue were a bit `cloudy`lol ..but then again darrell banks on uk london was cloudy also

Its not Dave, the lets get it on version has whistling on it, as does the funk and soul 12, all tracks on that 12 were ripped from the expanded cd. Best of and biscuit 12 are the same, no whistling.

Edited by Sutty
Social source share

• 1 month later...

Ok, for the 4th time, let's clear this all up :)

First played from DAT, Chris Phillips on kiss, I still have the tape of it with the story of how he got sent it from one of the Mizzells and Marvin was staying with them in LA and they recorded 2 tracks in their basement one night. He was in LA mixing lets get it on. They of course wrote and produced for Donald Byrd.

Some years later the best of cd came out & I told everyone on EMS email list the day it came out, I remember Gareth Donovan pretending he had some late night shopping to do to his missus that night as it was bizarrely sold initially through Tescos as a cheap comp.

then the alt version was on the lets get it on expanded cd - Funk and soul 12 was booted from this and contains 3 other tracks as well from that edition

Then booted again on the biscuit 12 from the best of cd

then it came out on vinyl on the motown lets get it on expanded edition 2xLP.

now this 12, which contains the 2nd Mizzells track, never previously released.

and lets not forget the Funk Inc version, which is great too.

Ciao Sutty

As I understand it there is a third Mizell's produced track that has never seen the light of day.

I think Where Are We Going first appeared on vinyl on an Austrian various artists compilation, I remember Eddie Piller playing it from that years back (Soul 24/7 days).

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!