Northern Soul The Film - See It At The Cinema

stevemcmahon

I have been trying to organise a screening at the Plaza Cinema in Skipton in North Yorkshire. It's a small old school type cinema that would suit the film perfectly. Problem is I can't get in touch with the owner, who won't answer my emails.  :dash2:

probably best to try & get them on the phone or drop by in person  :thumbsup:

Social source share

probably best to try & get them on the phone or drop by in person  :thumbsup:

Went round in person, but the owner is never there. He owns six cinemas and is involved in other business. The manager gave me the email address. Just been round there again and spoken to a nice young woman who was far more helpful than the manager, but apparently the owner is a very hard man to track down. I will keep trying, but time is running out.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Went round in person, but the owner is never there. He owns six cinemas and is involved in other business. The manager gave me the email address. Just been round there again and spoken to a nice young woman who was far more helpful than the manager, but apparently the owner is a very hard man to track down. I will keep trying, but time is running out.

Hows about getting more folk to send him emails (e-bombard)? Someone in Cambridge applied a strength in numbers approach & they finally got a screening. Best of luck with it!

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Hows about getting more folk to send him emails (e-bombard)? Someone in Cambridge applied a strength in numbers approach & they finally got a screening. Best of luck with it!

Well done on your efforts on behalf of the film and scene Steve and all!x Cinema.....luv it. My ex wife's Uncle Albert was 'Eric the projectionist' at our old Victoria Cinema in the market square through the 60's/70's.....now the Marks & Sparks! As 16 1/2 year olds and into our 20's we took advantage of his 'hospitality' and my affair with such a night out began! I had always enjoyed collecting on Poppy Day as a Cadet too in the mid 70's....so many affections with the Cinema. Lump that in with my 'interest' in Northern Soul....i;d have been flabbergasted Sir if Cambridge's Cinema Management had taken any other tac! We is the seat of 'education'....globally!x Besides that.....none of the 5 Cinema Managers would ever get a 'free' limo for 'Opening' night launches.....or for personal holiday/stag/hen doo's...ever again!!!!!x

@@

~

LUV

SOOTY

X

...educated @ Cambridge yaaa....Netherhall Junior and Upper...until expelled after 17 months! The 'streets' became my education....served me and my locality well!x

If someone has info on the Edinburgh showing then please let me know.....a new found friend has invited me to a Diwali Dance night........i'd like to repay the compliment! He is a Muslim 'leader' up in Scotland arriving in 1972. He came to England...London...in '73 to search out potential opportunity. He was attacked...in his own words...by 'Skinheads wearing Fred Perry's!'.....! He has never returned to England and put all his efforts and commitment into Scotland....and feverishly into the YES campaign as a close ally to Alex Salmond. Indeed the Muslim Community were well represented at St Georges Square sporting Scottish flags.....to my surprise! I feel the need to assist him with his bad experience. Understanding each others Cultures....is key.  I haven't seen the film or a trailer for it. I go to see it with him 'open minded'...and will discuss wotever it raises over a Chinese....I reckon!x 

@@

~

• Helpful 1
Social source share

If someone has info on the Edinburgh showing then please let me know.....

Sooty it is on in Edinburgh on 18th October

https://www.ourscreen.com/screening/37360

Super stuff Dedji!x I will make plans to be there!x I hope the films brings up issues such as drugs....sexual infidelity....intolerance and waywardness as our scene and Culture have endured! I will be able to relate to the same I have found whilst mingling around the Nations practising Muslim Community. Knowledge...2 way thing. Understanding of 'humanity' is what finds middle ground!x

@@

~

LUV

SOOTY

X

Social source share

To add to what Steve said, this is a brilliant way to not only see the film on the big screen, you can watch it with mates!

If anyone books a screening and wants help filling it contact either of us or Gill Soper on FB and we'll help promote it...

Cambridge is the big success story, being the 1st in the history of https://www.ourscreen.com/ to sell out a screening!

Thanks for the support all!!! :-D

Social source share

As mentioned on another post, I have got it showing in Dumfries on Saturday December 6th. 

There is an all-dayer on the same day, but the film will be shown twice prior to the start of this at a local cinema.

The cinema showed Soul Boy when it came out, so I approached them regarding NS the Film and by pure luck they said they could get it, but not until December, which fitted in perfectly.

There are no tickets available as yet, but full details will be put up on S/S when I have them.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Has anyone thought about the Brian Mathew show on Radio 2? He often plays the new Kent releases etc. Maybe someone could persuade him to play a record or three from the CD, on the day many cinemas are showing the film. It might be a nice reminder for people.

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Has anyone thought about the Brian Mathew show on Radio 2? He often plays the new Kent releases etc. Maybe someone could persuade him to play a record or three from the CD, on the day many cinemas are showing the film. It might be a nice reminder for people.

Good thinking Mikey. I'll pass to our hotshot Radio promotion guy....

Ian D  :D

Social source share

Guest SteveBev

Does anyone have anywhere near Peterborough that's showing it? Needs to be a different night to 18/10 if so as that's when it's on at the Showcase there but unfortunately, I'm already booked to be at someone's birthday do and have no way of getting out of it.

Is the Cambridge one fully booked or is there room for a couple more? Not sure what night that was on either.

HELP :ohmy:  :(

Social source share

Is the Cambridge one fully booked or is there room for a couple more? Not sure what night that was on either.

The Cambridge event is fully booked at the moment but it is almost certain they will be updated to a larger Cinema 

Check this link for more options

https://www.ourscreen.com/search/screenings/?Req.CategoryId&Req.SearchTerm=northern+soul+&Req.Date&Req.Time&Req.ScreeningStatusId&Req.LocationText&Req.CinemaId

Social source share

What's happening with the rest of the world ?

Are they adopting a wait and see approach as to how well (or not) the film does in the UK before deciding what to do with oveseas markets ?

I know a great cinema in Tokyo that could be packed out (Osaka too!)...but maybe Universal aren't bothered as the DVD release date is so quick after the few limited UK screenings...plus they may have low expectations for foreign sales requiring different regional formats (if indeed they plan to press them at all?).

:g:

Appreciate the movie crew must be on overdrive at the moment, but it's a shame there's hardly been any official comments on Soul-Source (the world's #1 NS chat site!)...save for Ian.D doing sterling work on his tod...more power to you Ian! :thumbup:

:hatsoff2:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest SteveBev

The Cambridge event is fully booked at the moment but it is almost certain they will be updated to a larger Cinema 

Check this link for more options

https://www.ourscreen.com/search/screenings/?Req.CategoryId&Req.SearchTerm=northern+soul+&Req.Date&Req.Time&Req.ScreeningStatusId&Req.LocationText&Req.CinemaId

Cheers dedji, have reserved tickets for the 2.45pm showing at the Arts Picturehouse, Cambridge on Sat 18/10 as can make that. Is this a different venue/viewing to the one you said is sold out as it says it still needs another 21 people to book before it can be confirmed? :g:

Social source share

Cheers dedji, have reserved tickets for the 2.45pm showing at the Arts Picturehouse, Cambridge on Sat 18/10 as can make that. Is this a different venue/viewing to the one you said is sold out as it says it still needs another 21 people to book before it can be confirmed? :g:

It has sold out twice and they have updated to a bigger room after selling out, I have no doubt they will sell the 21 seats required

Social source share

Are they adopting a wait and see approach as to how well (or not) the film does in the UK before deciding what to do with oveseas markets ?

really not sure how the foreign market works....do on screen have any tie ups in this digital age their must be ways..

Social source share

just brilliant Steve momentum is really building up if you want any help there is a great page on facebook also with loads of tips anything steve and I can do just let us know love and peace, its just been great seeing the soul family work togetehr on this, wheter the film is for you or not...just amazing here is the fb link: Northern soul the film cinema group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/304798186378691/

Social source share

Does anyone have anywhere near Peterborough that's showing it? Needs to be a different night to 18/10 if so as that's when it's on at the Showcase there but unfortunately, I'm already booked to be at someone's birthday do and have no way of getting out of it.

Same problem here, we're going over to see it in Leicester the following week.

Social source share

Guest SteveBev

Same problem here, we're going over to see it in Leicester the following week.

Where in Leicester & when Shaun? Are you going from Peterborough or somewhere else close by? As said I've booked tix for the afternoon showing at Cambridge Arts Picturehouse on the 18th. Haven't done a matinee in years! However, that's reliant on another 21 tix being sold as of yesterday.

Social source share

Heres a list of places you can create your own screening, altho it says down the bottom if you cant see a cinema in the area you want to get in touch...Theres an online form, so easy to send a request...

If you need help filling it, pm me or Steve (who started this thread)

https://www.ourscreen.com/create-screening/cinema/?Request.CinemaId=&Request.FilmId=169831&Request.FilmSearchTerm=northern+soul&Request.CategoryId=&Request.LocationLatitude=&Request.LocationLongitude=&FirstChooseCinema=True&Request.SlotId=&Request.Private=&Request.DateRaw=&Request.TicketsRequired=&Request.BrandCampaignId=&Request.LocationText=

Social source share

Guest son of stan

Might be adopting a 'wait and see if it's any good or not' policy..'

Has anyone actually seen this film yet?

I really hope it's great but the way this works, independent films that get released and booked are ready to go and reviewed at festivals about a year in advance...

Social source share

Guest Dave Ward

'kin ell I remember 2 guys, a bloke with a torch and a cameraman  filming Northern Soul in the 70's, some people never got over it.

Edited by Dave Ward
Social source share

Guest son of stan

This film is so good that you have to beg cinemas to show it ?

And it hasn't been shown to or reviewed by any recognised film critic?

Never mind. Where is it defintely on where I can defintely buy tickets? London only. Most films come out here.

Social source share

Never mind. Where is it defintely on where I can defintely buy tickets? London only. Most films come out here.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't designed for the critics and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't really get it anyway. This film has had zero support from the UK film business as far as I can make out and I think it's been pigeon-holed as a little English film about a quaint sub-culture which will have minimal commercial appeal and a limited audience. Which is entirely predictable in my view. That's what I expected them to think. So no surprise there.

But it's difficult to ignore a little English film about a quaint sub-culture when the soundtrack has entered the UK Top 10 album chart with minimal marketing spend. Not so little anymore. 

And watch those screens grow. 3 weeks to release. Blackburn premiere this Saturday and London premiere on 2nd October. Lots of PR and Radio coming up and hopefully more and more people will embrace this film. The grass-roots support has been nothing short of incredible. Great stuff!

Ian D  :D 

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

It is officially out mid month, I am sure Kermode etc. will review it then.

It is showing all over the country at least 60 cinemas, I am sure there will be one near you…:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest son of stan

It is officially out mid month, I am sure Kermode etc. will review it then.

It is showing all over the country at least 60 cinemas, I am sure there will be one near you…:thumbsup:

When and where? I can't find any info about where it's on on line...Even on the official site.(I mean a proper cinema where I can go one night after work or summat, not a soul nite...)

I would actually quite like to go and see it. There have been so many posts on this site from people who seem to have a vested (and baggied) interest but no actual info on its release....And now we are asked to mither our local cinema to show it? So excuse me for being sceptical...

Where is it on and when? It's a simple enough question.

Edited by son of stan
Social source share

When and where? I can't find any info about where it's on on line...Even on the official site.(I mean a proper cinema where I can go one night after work or summat, not a soul nite...)

I would actually quite like to go and see it. There have been so many posts on this site from people who seem to have a vested (and baggied) interest but no actual info on its release....And now we are asked to mither our local cinema to show it? So excuse me for being sceptical...

Curzon Victoria

The Gate

Greenwich picture house

Dalston

17th Oct for first 3, 18th for last one I think, but best check.

Edited by Steve S 60
Social source share

Really? If you read the original post all the info you need is right there:  "The up-to-date official list of Independent cinema's screening Elaine's film can be found here: https://bit.ly/NorthernSoulCinemas"

The old adage; "..damned if you do/don't" springs to mind. If this film were fully distributed & plastered all over the main cinemas you can guarantee it would be labelled as a sell out by a certain few. The situation of limited availability is what it is for certain reason which are best left alone, yet in an ironic twist have placed this film into a position which kind of befits an underground youth culture; that of being unavailable to the masses but possible to find if you dig deep enough. 

We are fortunate to live in a time where with very little effort it is now possible to join forces & directly lobby our local cinemas to screen a film which fully deserves the support from the scene it documents positively & for posterity. I for one can't wait for my teenage son to finally get a glimpse into the scene which was a big part of my youth & the essence of which is somewhat diluted these days by 'old folk' doing Dad dancing. The fact alone that Elaine & her team invested so much time & effort (over 4 years) into ensuring her young actors & extras got the moves (& the passion) right is testament to how much care has been put into getting this right & I for one can't wait to support it.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!