Motown Album Only Tracks

Sjclement

Don't know whether this has been done before , but I was just thinking of the amount of album tracks that would have been worthy of 45 releases making them 'user friendly' for the northern scene, 

Temptations I Gotta Find A Way...

Marvelettes  Only Your Love Can Save Me

Gladys Knight He's My Kinda Fellow

to name but three Any more out there? why did they never make it to 45 release?

ps I'm talking about general USA/UK release not one off's from Outer Mongolia etc.

Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Thelma Houston -I ain't going nowhere

Temptations -Save my love for a rainy day

Chuck Jackson - Ain't no sun since you've been gone

Edwin Starr & Blinky - We'll Find a way (also covered by Chuck Jackson)

Gladys Knight - How can you say that ain't love

Junior Walker - Ridin' high on love

Gladys Knight - Don't tell me I'm crazy

isley Brothers - My love is your love

Marvin Gaye - A bitter pill to swallow

I'm sure there's plenty more

Social source share

Marvellettes  Youre love can save me is on a 45rpm  tamla u.s. e.p made to promote the sophisticated soul album i think  , only seen demos of this , Had an emidisc of this nearly forty years ago, just picked up a carver of it on Soul source   a couple of weeks ago for a tenner ,very good sound quality , made up with it actually.   The one i would like on a 45 is the vocal and instumental of       In the neighbourhood ( on the avenue ).

Social source share

Guest Rubber Soul

Here´s some Motown album tracks - some well known, others overlooked - perfect for the dance floor:

*Four Tops - "I´m Grateful" from the album "Second Album", issued on Motown in 1965.

*Martha & The Vandellas - "No More Tearstained Makeup" - a Smokey Robinson midtempo nugget from the album "Watchout!", issued on Gordy in 1966.

*Mary Wells - "One Block From Heaven" from the album "Vintage Stock", issued on Motown in 1966, after Mary Wells had already left the label.

*Gladys Knight & The Pips - "He´s My Kind Of Fellow" from the album "Everybody Needs Love", issued on Soul in 1967.

*The Monitors - "Serve Yourself A Cup Of Happiness" from the album "Greetings! We´re The Monitors", issued on Soul in 1968.

It´s a great uptempo dancer produced by the top duo of William Weatherspoon and James Dean.

The recording was actually finished already in 1966, but had to wait two years to get an album release.

*Diana Ross & The Supremes - "Loving You Is Better Than Ever" from the album "Cream Of The Crop", issued on Motown in 1969. Another Smokey Robinson composition/production, this time more uptempo.

*David Ruffin - "A World Of Darkness" from the album "My Whole World Ended", issued on Motown in 1969.

*David Ruffin - "Loving You (Is Hurting Me)" from the album "Feelin´ Good", issued on Motown in 1969.

*Four Tops - "Lost In A Pool Of Red" from the album "Soul Spin", issued on Motown in 1969.

*Gladys Knight & The Pips - "The Stranger" from the album "Nitty Gritty", issued on Soul in 1969.

*The Originals - "Don´t Stop Now" from the album "Portrait Of The Originals", issued on Soul in 1970.

*Gladys Knight & The Pips - "Everybody Is A Star" from the album "If I Were Your Woman", issued on Soul in 1971.

A brilliant, incredibly soulful version of the Sly & The Family Stone´s classic.

Perhaps the least danceable of the lot - but what a tune!!

Social source share

A superb podcast was posted on here a while back with some great album only Motown tracks - The Temptations - It's A Lonely World Without Your Love being one of them - Oh and it's got the Ruffin Bros fantastic Turn Back The Hands Of Time mentioned above on it too. Unfortunately, there's no track list. Anyone know what the track is with the lyric " You Left Me Truly Blue" ? - between Stevie Wonder and David Ruffin on the podcast?

A couple of my faves are The Isley Brothers - Whispers and Seek & You Shall Find which sadly aren't on the podcast.

Edited by autumnstoned
Social source share

Here´s some Motown album tracks - some well known, others overlooked - perfect for the dance floor:

*Four Tops - "I´m Grateful" from the album "Second Album", issued on Motown in 1965.

*Martha & The Vandellas - "No More Tearstained Makeup" - a Smokey Robinson midtempo nugget from the album "Watchout!", issued on Gordy in 1966.

*Mary Wells - "One Block From Heaven" from the album "Vintage Stock", issued on Motown in 1966, after Mary Wells had already left the label.

*Gladys Knight & The Pips - "He´s My Kind Of Fellow" from the album "Everybody Needs Love", issued on Soul in 1967.

*The Monitors - "Serve Yourself A Cup Of Happiness" from the album "Greetings! We´re The Monitors", issued on Soul in 1968.

It´s a great uptempo dancer produced by the top duo of William Weatherspoon and James Dean.

The recording was actually finished already in 1966, but had to wait two years to get an album release.

*Diana Ross & The Supremes - "Loving You Is Better Than Ever" from the album "Cream Of The Crop", issued on Motown in 1969. Another Smokey Robinson composition/production, this time more uptempo.

*David Ruffin - "A World Of Darkness" from the album "My Whole World Ended", issued on Motown in 1969.

*David Ruffin - "Loving You (Is Hurting Me)" from the album "Feelin´ Good", issued on Motown in 1969.

*Four Tops - "Lost In A Pool Of Red" from the album "Soul Spin", issued on Motown in 1969.

*Gladys Knight & The Pips - "The Stranger" from the album "Nitty Gritty", issued on Soul in 1969.

*The Originals - "Don´t Stop Now" from the album "Portrait Of The Originals", issued on Soul in 1970.

*Gladys Knight & The Pips - "Everybody Is A Star" from the album "If I Were Your Woman", issued on Soul in 1971.

A brilliant, incredibly soulful version of the Sly & The Family Stone´s classic.

Perhaps the least danceable of the lot - but what a tune!!

I'm Grateful and Don't Stop Now are in the Motown 7's Box Set Volume 2. Now under thirty five quid on Amazon. :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest Rubber Soul

I'm Grateful and Don't Stop Now are in the Motown 7's Box Set Volume 2. Now under thirty five quid on Amazon. :thumbup:

Thanks, Soulfinger! Got the first one - time to get hold of box nr 2.. :lol: . Cheap as chips!!

Social source share

Guest Rubber Soul

Yes available on one of those mid  price MFP albums (the one you don't see often)

AND on the Pips´ 1969 album "Nitty Gritty" - Soul 713.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!