Vernell (Vrc) Record Label - Newark N.j

Just been revisiting a couple of discs on this Newark label...real street-level Soul:

Judy McDonald - Thanks To You / There's Nothing I'd Rather Do #114

Judy McDonald - Thanks To You / Thanks To You #206

Little Willie Jones - When Will I Stop Loving You / You're Welcome To Try #115

I recall TNIRD and YWTT from the Stafford period (GuyH?) but both have slipped through the net. The Judy McDonald is a lovely mid-pace plodder whilst the Little Willie Jones is a solid pounder with "B.Boy breakdown" in the middle!

So, who was Vernell and what else is on the label?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMcGSZhxybs

Social source share

• Replies 3
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Jerry Hankins seems to have had a lot of creative input on this labels releases.

He also worked on the Revlons (with Little Martin & the Mustangs) tracks for the label (VC 112) & the Martin's Mustangs cuts (VN1001  -- no doubt the same outfit as Little Martin & the Mustangs) + the Little Willie Jones sides (VC115). 

Jerry Hankins was also co-writer of Tony Mason's "Scram" which was released on RCA in 67. He also did work for MPR -- Magic People Records.

Jerry is still registered (as a songwriter) with BMI (he has 55 songs listed with them). Their site contains his contact details (he lives in Orange, New Jersey these days).

Among the people he wrote with are the likes of George (Giorge) Pettus, Sandra Mercer (who I guess is Sandy Mercer to us) and Richard & Robert Pointdexter. 

Edited by Roburt
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

The Mellowettes  -  VRC #215

the-mellowettes-im-tired-of-being-second  

Track Artist Title Composer Producer Arranger  

A The Mellowettes I'm Tired (Of Being Second Choice) J. Hankins, E. Lee, J. Curry J. Hankins - The Soul Tones  
B The Mellowettes Tears Of A Loser J. Hankins, E. Lee, J. Curry J. Hankins - The Soul Tones  

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert