Prowlin' Records Discography?

Liamgp

• Replies 7
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

As you see, a few gaps, but I doubt the numbers have much relevance to be honest!

128 - Lowell Fulsom - Stop & Think/Baby (Also released on Moving label with the same number and B side)

227 - Ray Agee - It's A Helluva Thing/Tough Competition

235 - Vivian Claibourne - Don't Leave/People Will Talk

337 - Janice Cooke - That's How Much I Need You/Alone To Cry

406 - Zeke Strong - Every Woman Has A Right/Cry You Cry Alone

1730 - Lyn Defino - Such A Hard One To Lose/I Laughed At Mama

7100 Zeke Strong & Wanda Richardson. " Every woman has a right" Part 1&2
8351 - Kenny D. Freeman - Smile/The Ultimate Prize

9301 - Clay Robinson - Bip Bam Thank Ya Mam / I'm So Glad I Found You

Different orange label design and name Prowling rather than Prowlin'

406 - Zeke Strong - Cry You Cry Alone/North Beach Swim

Also instrumental version on Progress label which Zeke Strong seems to have been involved with. He recorded records for them and his group provided the backing to Cookie Jackson's 'Do You Still Love Me'.

Vivian Claibourne - Don't Leave. Interestingly Vivian herself seems to have left a comment.

'I'm Vivian  Claiborne, and I'm totally blown away to hear this song I recorded back in the 60's.  It was recorded at, "Tangerine Records" owned by Ray Charles.  If you're familiar with Los Angeles, then you know the recording studio was located on Washington Blvd. near Western Ave.  Thanks for uploading. Singing gospels now!!!  Much Love'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vbtQrhAeMc

Edited by ElGeePee
Social source share

Prowlin'/Prowling, Progress, Moving and kick Off Records all seemed to share some relationship and also a connection with Zeke Strong.  He had a band/Orchestra and was arranger on many of the sessions.  perhaps he was the A&R man for most or all those labels?

Social source share

On Zeke Strong: (adapted from entry on Sir Shambling's site) www.sirshambling.com

'[Ezekiel] Zeke Strong (born in 1923 at Isabella, OK [Other source says October 21, 1921]) was one of the mainstays of the Los Angeles R & B scene in the 50s and 60s. Bandleader, saxophonist, writer, producer, label owner and occasional vocalist — he covered all the musical bases. He put out two 45s by Juanita Strong (wife? daughter?) in the early 60s on his own Progress concern and they should be rather better regarded and familiar to fans than they are now.

Listen My Heart Will Be Crying is a strong stop-go blues ballad with a willing and flexible vocal from Juanita. Wonderful big band support from Zeke’s players — as a sax man himself he could be relied on to put a big fat horn chart together. Excellent guitar solo too. Listen I’ve Seen You Somewhere Before is a similarly paced and styled number, benefiting from some good background harmonies.

Zeke Strong passed away in May [28th] 2003 in Phoenix, AR.'

He was also involved with the Celeste record label best known for its Ray Agee 45s; he seems to have been the arranger and leader of the backing band as well as co-label owner.

I find the story of these little Los Angeles labels fascinating. I also tried to do an Angeltown records discography some time ago also but it's extremely hard finding any information about a lot of these labels, artists, chart positions (if any). Not actually being from or in LA doesn't help either.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

I am led to believe this label belonged to Zeke and had strong connections with Space,Kris, ,Ride, Progress,Movin and Kick Off.

The Lynn Defino 45 missing side is "I laughed at mama" and if my memory serves me right I tipped it a few years back on here..........only for it to sink.....what do I know?

another missing on the label discog is

7100 Zeke Strong & Wanda Richardson. " Every woman has a right" Part 1&2.

I would guess the Orange label design ( although different spelling?) was the first issue I have never been sure what years it ran over and would suggest it went from the sixties into the early seventies 

. Not heard the Kenny D Freeman 45 but the Lynn Defino is a seventies release in my book.

A great little indie label I've collected over the years with some lovely music on it not to mention a cracking label design!

Strange Zeke spent most of his life in and around LA but died in Arizona?

hope this helps

Dave Halsall

Social source share

OK, so the list is now updated. I suspect that the label released material intermittently from the early 60s until the 70s with no real continuity in numbers to help collectors, but a lot of nice records to have nevertheless and a great design too - especially for all the cat fans out there!

Thanks for all the contributions so far.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!