Articles: The Marvin Smith Story and Interview by Dave Box

Mike

• Replies 17
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest Ivor Jones

What a great article. Love those wicked photos especially the one in the Barbers !  Good luck guys with the gig,looks a cracker. Anyone know if the unissued tracks are coming out at all ?

best, Ivor

Social source share

Brilliant read that thanks...one to print and keep for sure. Really looking forward to the night. Still remembering how good Debbie Taylor was last year, and PUSH are worth hearing in their own right I think! Signed CD of the unissued tracks on the night will be the cream on top :)

Edited by 71 Steve
Social source share

Hi Guys

Thanks for the comments.

Here's one release that slipped under the discography radar.

"Let The Good Times Roll" (L. Lee)/"Ain't That A Shame" (C. Mayfield)

UK Contempo CS 2043 1974. Produced by Major Lance.

I will ask Marvin about this release and post up his comments.

We still have tickets to sell, but please don't leave it to the last minute.

Boxy

Social source share

Marvin will be signing, exclusively to this event, a cd containing his previously unreleased tracks:

"I Never Thought I'd Be Losing You" - "Peace" - "Hearts Made Of Stone" - "Heartache Coming On"

Howard will be selling the latest edition of SOUL UP NORTH featuring The Marvin Smith Story, which Marvin will be only too pleased to sign for you.

Only 100 copies of the CD will be available on the night, so when they're gone that's it.  Another good reason to be there.

Social source share

I spoke to Marvin tonight, and this is what he had to say about the UK Contempo release:

The A side “Let The Good Times Roll”:

Major Lance and Otis Leavill produced the recordings and they paid for the session in Chicago.  They always knew I loved Sam Cooke’s style and gave me the chance to record one of his songs.  I wasn’t happy with the production, the tempo was too fast, and I don’t think I got it just as I wanted it, but they said it was OK.

The B side “Ain’t That A Shame”:

This was a cover of one of Major’s songs recorded on Okeh, written by Curtis Mayfield and originally produced by Carl Davis.  This track was recorded much later and produced again by Major and Otis.  They gave me a copy of the 45 from the Contempo Company, but I never realised that it was commercially released in the UK.

Marvin never got anything financially from the record.  I would hope that both writers, Curtis Mayfield and L. Lee, would have received something through the MCPS system.  I’m sure Major and Otis would have received a cut from Contempo for the production.  The outcome sounds a very familiar, unfair story, where the vocalist gets nothing out of the recording.

Social source share

I wonder if Marvin is aware that some of his recordings had releases outside the US...over here we had "Have More Time" and "Hope We Have" both appear on Japanese Brunswick 7" singles...both very rare.

:hatsoff2:

post-9555-0-46965600-1413368519_thumb.jp

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Magic article and interview.  I for one cannot wait to see Marvin.  He was pretty good at Fleetwood some about ten years ago but if this night promises to be special.  The band are absolutely fantastic, worth the entrance fee alone.  Last year, Debbie Taylor, was one of the most memorable acts I've ever seen.  The year before Darrow Fletcher was pretty special too.  Tjis one has all the ingredients to be just as good. Tickets paid for, taxi booked, roll on.

Social source share

That is a superb read Dave! & what a great interview (I could almost feel being in Chi-town with you ha ha, I wish!)

Can't wait to see him perform on the 15th!!

Like others have mentioned, the Darrow gig was excellent, Debbie Taylor was sensational (& one of the best live artists I've ever seen!) so Marvin's gig is bubbling up to be another great success for The Wilton Soulful Sessions.

See you all in November, I'm soooo excited!!!

Ali xx

Edited by Alison H
Social source share

FANTASTIC!!!....here he is live on the swingin' time show 1966

you've made my day....week...year even...wow what a find

love this record but can't understand why it hasn't ever been released on a UK CD

Or has it ?

Social source share

Marvin Smith Concert Cancelled

Early this morning we received an email from Marvin Smith, cancelling his performance on the 15th November at the Wilton’s Soulful Sessions, on medical grounds.

Marvin has just been diagnosed with TMJ, a condition which affects the jaw and muscles of the face.

Val and myself are very sorry that this has happened, but the situation is obviously out of our control. We have put so much work and money into this event over the past year, and we are totally devastated with this news. We are not big time promoters, so the financial cost will be painful.

We will continue with the event on 15th November at the Wilton without Marvin, and will add to the DJ line up.

People who have purchased tickets and don’t want to attend, will be offered a full £20 refund.

However, we hope many of you will still attend the event, at a reduced admission charge, and allow us to give you your remaining refund on the night; this would help us logistically and financially to recover from this situation.

People who bought their tickets by Paypal and will not be attending on the night will be refunded in due course. We have your email and postal addresses so we will be in touch.

We know many of you have booked hotel accommodation and we are sorry for this inconvenience.

This event was dedicated to memory of the late Rick from Anglo (Richard Foster) and will still continue with that theme.

This is a major disappointment to everyone, including Marvin; he was so looking forward to performing at his concert, and now has a medical condition that could end his singing career.

We will still be selling Marvin’s Unissued Masters CD but sadly he won’t be there to sign them for you.

This is a major setback for us, but if you still attend the event the financial burden won’t be as great, and will allow us to continue next year with our plans to bring another artist over for her debut UK concert.

We are sincerely sorry.

David & Val Box

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!