First Generation - Give Him Up - High Note - Offers

Pete S

Here it is, my old cover up, only the third one I've had in over 20 years and what a beauty as well, absolutely clean labels, and excellent condition vinyl.

Up for serious offers or decent trades (not made up of small trades)

cheers

Pete

post-1893-0-55700500-1417093455_thumb.jp

Edited by Pete S
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 

You know I was saying I had this covered up years ago, well I found the review I did of it in Beatin' Rhythm Magazine , it's from Autumn 1995, I bought the record the year before (for the other side by Dave Barker):
Sonya Kay & The Ebonies - Give Him Up (UK Black Cat test pressing)
And if you believe that, you'll believe anything! A real grower from - wait for it - 1970 - yes, you heard correctly. This makes it a bit late for me and it falls into the style which could quite easily be described as crossover, but wait til you hear it. It begins with some Stax-style horn blasts at a slow to midtempo pace, and then in comes the young female vocalist pleading "Give him up, he don't deserve you", to which the backing singers respond in kind. Lovely harmonies on this record as well as great brasswork and a very tight rhythm section, it's sparse, mellow and totally groovy. Not yer typical Northern sound by a long chalk an interesting one and a very soulful sound. I defy anyone reading this magazine (remember this was written in 1995) to find out who it actually is before the next issue of the magazine comes out. I'll just give you one clue and tell you that it's on a UK reggae label. Four Stars.

Now at £375

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!