The Odyssey: A Northern Soul Time-Capsule - 8Cd/2Dvd/book Box Set

Brilliant Ian. I would like the lot for Christmas but I guess I can hang on for a couple of months.

LoL, it should have been out for Christmas but that pesky Northern Soul soundtrack has never stopped selling. I didn't want to risk arresting Harmless's biggest selling album ever so February it is....

Ian D :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The problem is though - there's not going to be many here I haven't got in some shape or form, so I'd be buying it for the dvd really...and I can't justify paying £75 for that, but for someone who doesn't have such a big collection, it really is the best possible selection, either as a starter, or for someone maybe getting back into it - or just for anyone who appreciates good music.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The problem is though - there's not going to be many here I haven't got in some shape or form, so I'd be buying it for the dvd really...and I can't justify paying £75 for that, but for someone who doesn't have such a big collection, it really is the best possible selection, either as a starter, or for someone maybe getting back into it - or just for anyone who appreciates good music.

Actually, you're right to an extent. I have several hundred comps but the quality of the masters isn't always great. Finding the good masters is a task in itself and that's what we've done here. So top notch masters.

However, here's the siginifant thing. The Northern Soul soundtrack has unearthed a huge audience, mamy of whom won't have the timw and ferret-like skills that we have to compile the goodies. So this is as good a package as any to get your teeth into and get the real deal.

If we get just 10% of the audience who bought Northern Soul: The Soundtrack to invest in The Odyssey: A Northern Soul Time-Capsule then that'll be great. But I think we'll do much better than that touch wood!

Merry Crimbo Pete!

Social source share

Actually, you're right to an extent. I have several hundred comps but the quality of the masters isn't always great. Finding the good masters is a task in itself and that's what we've done here. So top notch masters.

However, here's the siginifant thing. The Northern Soul soundtrack has unearthed a huge audience, mamy of whom won't have the timw and ferret-like skills that we have to compile the goodies. So this is as good a package as any to get your teeth into and get the real deal.

If we get just 10% of the audience who bought Northern Soul: The Soundtrack to invest in The Odyssey: A Northern Soul Time-Capsule then that'll be great. But I think we'll do much better than that touch wood!

Merry Crimbo Pete!

Social source share

Merry Crimbo Pete!

I'd like to hear a perfect quality version of Gino Washington - Rat Race - the ones he had pressed were very noisy

Social source share

As far back as I can remember (which must be touching close to the end of the seventies) every time when the name of Ian Dewhirst came into conversation all I ever heard people say without fail was good things about the man.

People used many long flowing words I'd never heard of before - generous was one I distinctly recall mentioned.

No matter what the subject was he was always held in very high esteem and the pedestal he was placed on was very high indeed.

Nothings changed it's exactly the same today as it was then.

Knowing all what's been said about you and I guess you've been thinking about it -  I gotta admit it would be a great idea if you could donate a copy of The Odyssey: A Northern Soul Time-Capsule Box Set to the winner of a competition set by you here on Soul Source.

I say 3 cheers for Ian - hip hip hoorah, hip hip hoorah, hip hip hoorah, 

I'm gonna write to my MP straightaway that man should get an OBE for Services To Music.

All together now - for he's a jolly good fellow........
Edited by Derek Pearson
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

LoL, it should have been out for Christmas but that pesky Northern Soul soundtrack has never stopped selling. I didn't want to risk arresting Harmless's biggest selling album ever so February it is....

Yeah Dewdrop.

Our lass was going to get me this for Christmas but as you have delayed it I'll probably end up with socks & slippers now.

Social source share

As far back as I can remember (which must be touching close to the end of the seventies) every time when the name of Ian Dewhirst came into conversation all I ever heard people say without fail was good things about the man.

People used many long flowing words I'd never heard of before - generous was one I distinctly recall mentioned.

No matter what the subject was he was always held in very high esteem and the pedestal he was placed on was very high indeed.

Nothings changed it's exactly the same today as it was then.

Knowing all what's been said about you and I guess you've been thinking about it - I gotta admit it would be a great idea if you could donate a copy of The Odyssey: A Northern Soul Time-Capsule Box Set to the winner of a competition set by you here on Soul Source.

I say 3 cheers for Ian - hip hip hoorah, hip hip hoorah, hip hip hoorah,

I'm gonna write to my MP straightaway that man should get an OBE for Services To Music.

All together now - for he's a jolly good fellow........

Derek, would you be good enough to write my obituary please mate...

Social source share

The problem is though - there's not going to be many here I haven't got in some shape or form, so I'd be buying it for the dvd really...and I can't justify paying £75 for that, but for someone who doesn't have such a big collection, it really is the best possible selection, either as a starter, or for someone maybe getting back into it - or just for anyone who appreciates good musIC

congratulations  Ian  and everyone who was involved in this project.  the title just about sums it up.  from a purely selfish point of view as someone who spends more than he can afford already on our wonderful music . [ including a recent purchase from the Dewhirst archive,  carl carltons - fighting in the name of love ]   as Pete states i do have the lions share of the superb tracks on here . are there any plans to do a  scaled down version of the Odyssey with say the  dvds  and the booklet , for those in a similar position . my wants list has already put me in a similar position to the Russian  ECONOMY.!  must get out and try a bit of fracking in the back garden.  i said FRACKING.

SHORTY

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Already got this pre-ordered.  Amazon will probably drop the price before the actual release date, but even so, not a bad price for eight CDs, two DVDs of never seen before interviews and a book.  Great to see the tracks arranged in chronological order of when and where they were played.  Nice one Ian.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

congratulations  Ian  and everyone who was involved in this project.  the title just about sums it up.  from a purely selfish point of view as someone who spends more than he can afford already on our wonderful music . [ including a recent purchase from the Dewhirst archive,  carl carltons - fighting in the name of love ]   as Pete states i do have the lions share of the superb tracks on here . are there any plans to do a  scaled down version of the Odyssey with say the  dvds  and the booklet , for those in a similar position . my wants list has already put me in a similar position to the Russian  ECONOMY.!  must get out and try a bit of fracking in the back garden.  i said FRACKING.

SHORTY

No Shorty. All my releases are designed to suck money up from obsessives like ourselves unfortunately..... :lol:

Having said that, I'll have a look at maybe doing a DVD/Book format as that would probably do well in it's own right.

Meantime, get yer dosh out. You have til the end of Feb to save up!

Ian  :D

Social source share

Derek, would you be good enough to write my obituary please mate...Ian D

It would make me very sad to hear of your demise Ian but I'd be honoured to write your obituary.

But please try hold on a bit longer - just give it a couple o' weeks after you've got the competition up an' running eh?

Derek

Thought I'd mention it in passing but have you got any thoughts on somebody looking after your collection at all?

Social source share

No Shorty. All my releases are designed to suck money up from obsessives like ourselves unfortunately..... :lol:

Having said that, I'll have a look at maybe doing a DVD/Book format as that would probably do well in it's own right.

Meantime, get yer dosh out. You have til the end of Feb to save up!

Ian  :D

FAIR DINKUM.

Social source share

Ian

Fantastic selection.Almost all of the tracks I've got on other CDs but worth getting for 100% quality with no fillers.

Good to see some Cameo Parkway tracks getting legal CD issue, how about some more.

Of course anything with track 25 CD 2 has to be an essential purchase.

Rick

Cheers Rick. Yep, it would be nice to see a proper release of the Cameo Parkway catalogue. I actually did some of the UK reissues in the 70s - Bobby Paris, Yvonne Baker etc but since then there's only been those dodgy Campark volumes. As it happens I have a new album series commencing next year and since I'm communicating with Abko again I'll try and get a package going.....

Ian D  :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 1 month later...